Nut Jobs, all of you!

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xracer

Nut Jobs, all of you!

Post by xracer »

Had lunch with a friend yesterday in Solon and a guy was open carrying, well I thought he was. When he got up I said ahh, I was wondering if you were open carrying or a police officer (He was a police officer)? His reply was that those guys are all nut jobs (since he was a police officer I'm assuming he meant open carriers not police)... What say all of you? My friend is a supporter and I'm kinda on the fence on the matter and prefer to carry concealed.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
Brian D.

Re: Nut Jobs, all of you!

Post by Brian D. »

Good morning. As you may have noticed the heading of this forum category is 'Ohio Open Carry Discussions' not 'Open Carriers and Other Wackaloons'. Where do you think we stand, as a group? Personally I carry concealed more than openly but we likely would have never gotten concealed carry legalized without a series of open carry awareness marches that started to put some light and heat on our legislators back in 2002-3 or so. Plus, it still can be used to make a statement if gun owners of any stripe are being harassed or otherwise being wronged by a governmental entity at the local level. Also, in hot weather open carry is sometimes just easier and more comfortable.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

If I had the least bit of concern about what cops thought about my civil and legal rights, I probably wouldn't own a gun at all.

I don't much care what PETA thinks about the fried chicken I'm having for dinner tonight either, or what Al Qaeda thinks about the pinot grigio I'm going to be having with it...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Brian D. wrote:Good morning. As you may have noticed the heading of this forum category is 'Ohio Open Carry Discussions' not 'Open Carriers and Other Wackaloons'. Where do you think we stand, as a group? Personally I carry concealed more than openly but we likely would have never gotten concealed carry legalized without a series of open carry awareness marches that started to put some light and heat on our legislators back in 2002-3 or so. Plus, it still can be used to make a statement if gun owners of any stripe are being harassed or otherwise being wronged by a governmental entity at the local level. Also, in hot weather open carry is sometimes just easier and more comfortable.
B - Since I do not open carry, can I just be a wackaloon?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

deanimator wrote:If I had the least bit of concern about what cops thought about my civil and legal rights, I probably wouldn't own a gun at all.

I don't much care what PETA thinks about the fried chicken I'm having for dinner tonight either, or what Al Qaeda thinks about the pinot grigio I'm going to be having with it...
Is there a empty chair around the table tonight ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

There are open-carry nutjobs, there are concealed carry nutjobs. I disapprove of anyone that makes humanity look bad. Sometimes open carriers hurt our cause by their attitudes. So do some concealed carriers.

I greatly respect those who exercise their right to open carry and present a positive image to the mostly clueless public. They do good for our cause (see the second post on this thread). Personally, living in the closer suburbs of Cleveland, I'm not comfortable with open carry (for myself), for a variety of reasons. I'd love to see someone do it around here, but haven't yet in 3 years of watching. I do intend to open carry this afternoon in the MetroPark as I hike the trails with a heavy pack on (I'm in training right now and concealed carry with a full pack is almost impossible).

There's little logic to take you from "open carry" = "nutjob". Anyone who says there is, is a nutjob. :D
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Nut jobs come in all shapes and sizes. Armed and unarmed and along all the color lines. Just look at our current leaders of the free world.
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
deanimator wrote:If I had the least bit of concern about what cops thought about my civil and legal rights, I probably wouldn't own a gun at all.

Hell, there isn't even a table! :D
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
farblue

Post by farblue »

deanimator wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:

Hell, there isn't even a table! :D
I like your style!

To address the OP's question, I think that the LEO in question has a poor attitude about law abiding citizens that smacks of elitism and the oft spoke of "us vs. them" attitude.

I open carry infrequently, most often when I am out walking my dogs after dark. It's just simply not something I've wanted to pursue otherwise, but I have no trouble with those that exercise their right to open carry wherever they wish to.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Tweed Ring wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Good morning. As you may have noticed the heading of this forum category is 'Ohio Open Carry Discussions' not 'Open Carriers and Other Wackaloons'. Where do you think we stand, as a group? Personally I carry concealed more than openly but we likely would have never gotten concealed carry legalized without a series of open carry awareness marches that started to put some light and heat on our legislators back in 2002-3 or so. Plus, it still can be used to make a statement if gun owners of any stripe are being harassed or otherwise being wronged by a governmental entity at the local level. Also, in hot weather open carry is sometimes just easier and more comfortable.
B - Since I do not open carry, can I just be a wackaloon?
I didnt think you even had to ask Tweed. You one of our resident wackaloons or so I thought. :lol:
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

xracer wrote:... His reply was that those guys are all nut jobs (since he was a police officer I'm assuming he meant open carriers not police)... What say all of you? My friend is a supporter and I'm kinda on the fence on the matter and prefer to carry concealed.
xracer ... All walks of life have their "nut jobs" including law enforcement (the Harless types :roll:). While I do choose to carry concealed most of the time, I do open carry upon occasion and certainly respect those who choose OC as their preferred method. With that said, the OC "rabid zealots" who seem to go about looking for confrontation with LE so that they can post their video on Youtube, IMHO do more to perpetuate the "nut job" image than they do to bring a positive awareness to the cause.
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I don't know he may be on to something. I open carry all the time, and I haven't been right ever sense I ate all that perforated paper I found in my moms purse. :lol:
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

troy bilt wrote:I don't know he may be on to something. I open carry all the time, and I haven't been right ever sense I ate all that perforated paper I found in my moms purse. :lol:

Hmm where have I seen that before :roll:
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
jcase469

Post by jcase469 »

Bersa45 wrote:Nut jobs come in all shapes and sizes. Armed and unarmed and along all the color lines. Just look at our current leaders of the free world.
Very well said :D
The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth. ~ H.L. Mencken

"If More Sane People Were Armed, The Crazy People Would Get Off 'Fewer' shots"....
xracer

Post by xracer »

BuckJM53 wrote:
xracer wrote:... His reply was that those guys are all nut jobs (since he was a police officer I'm assuming he meant open carriers not police)... What say all of you? My friend is a supporter and I'm kinda on the fence on the matter and prefer to carry concealed.
xracer ... All walks of life have their "nut jobs" including law enforcement (the Harless types :roll:). While I do choose to carry concealed most of the time, I do open carry upon occasion and certainly respect those who choose OC as their preferred method. With that said, the OC "rabid zealots" who seem to go about looking for confrontation with LE so that they can post their video on Youtube, IMHO do more to perpetuate the "nut job" image than they do to bring a positive awareness to the cause.

The ones who go around looking for confrontation are the reason I've been on the fence about this.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.