open carried yesterday..nothing happened

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

open carried yesterday..nothing happened

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Went to the park yesterday with the wife and grandkids and the dog. I was carrying the colt IWB but with my shirt tucked. there were 2 families there and all of the kids and adults were interacting....another car pulled in and I carried on a 5 minute conversation with the driver and little girl over my dog...I am positive a couple of the kids noticed the gun and one even told his mommy wife said..... no one acted funny or left or did anything at all.. I guess me pushing the grand daughter on the swing with one hand and holding a leash in the other didn't look real threatening.
NEO Carry

Re: open carried yesterday..nothing happened

Post by NEO Carry »

You would be surprised at how little interactions you will have. I open carry regularly in a number of different places and rarely have anyone say anything negative or act negative. It usually turns out to be a great conversation starter and educational tool.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

I have noticed that, for the most part, the people who come up and ask are ALREADY interested, just not knowledgeable about open carry. The people who are against or closed to more info talk to either management or call cops for MWAG (or WMAG, in my wife's case) Not to say that its not cool to see someone I've chatted with starting to carry later...
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

BriKuz wrote:The people who are against or closed to more info talk to either management or call cops for MWAG (or WMAG, in my wife's case) Not to say that its not cool to see someone I've chatted with starting to carry later...
From reading the various on-line boards, it would seem that most MWAG calls come from off-duty police. It is a rare non-LEO who is bothered enough to take the time.

I suppose that's a disappointing part about OCing: "I open carried again today and nothing happened again..." 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NERES

Post by NERES »

Since I "open carry" in my car most times when fueling or at rest stops I just OC rather than conceal. Never has been a problem. I spent 10 minutes or so talking to a trucker at a rest stop and he didn't mention my gun. He either didn't notice or didn't care. Sometimes folks will seem to notice but they never say anything nor do they run away.

The only time I raised an eyebrow was when I went into an auto parts store with my IWB not concealed. The clerk said "Whoa!" and I told him not to worry since I was there only to make a purchase. A conversation ensued and he asked about getting a license. He was surprised to learn that no license is needed to OC but it is needed for carry in a vehicle. I happened to have a business card from the fellow who trained me and I left it with him. No idea if he followed up but at least he had some of his questions answered.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NERES wrote:The clerk said "Whoa!" and I told him not to worry since I was there only to make a purchase. A conversation ensued and he asked about getting a license. He was surprised to learn that no license is needed to OC but it is needed for carry in a vehicle.
Yup, I stopped into a cigar shop a few days ago and got a similar response. The guy asked if I had a "permit". I told him I didn't need one to carry openly, but I did if I was going to drive.

Other than that it was another uneventful, open carry day...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.