Open Carry: Doing it right

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Open Carry: Doing it right

Post by Klingon00 »

I found an interesting blog post about open carry that I very much agreed with and wanted to share and get people's thoughts. While Open carry isn't for everyone, those that chose to do so, become ambassadors for the rest of us (like it or not). Those who Open Carry often become a public face for the gun owner with the public. There are also tactical, training and equipment issues to keep in mind that may not be relevant to other forms of carry.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/05/16/open- ... -it-right/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was also shocked by the photo of the Serpa holster that failed so spectacularly, making it's retention feature essentially useless in a real world application. I own a couple of Serpas, but after seeing this, I don't believe I'll be using them for anything but recreational shooting. Time to get a better retention holster.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Open Carry: Doing it right

Post by TunnelRat »

Uh, oh! He said we should be nice when we are openly carrying. That might not go over so well... :|
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Klingon00 wrote:I was also shocked by the photo of the Serpa holster that failed so spectacularly, making it's retention feature essentially useless in a real world application. I own a couple of Serpas, but after seeing this, I don't believe I'll be using them for anything but recreational shooting. Time to get a better retention holster.
Funny thing is I've seen the same with photos of a Safariland and also a leather holster. Granted, I think the leather took a long time for the clip to seperate from the leather, but it was possible.

I think every holster can have issues and none are perfect. Best would be full leather with a slit for a belt to feed through and double stiched up. Any plastic clips can break and metal can bend.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

Klingon00 wrote: I was also shocked by the photo of the Serpa holster that failed so spectacularly, making it's retention feature essentially useless in a real world application. I own a couple of Serpas, but after seeing this, I don't believe I'll be using them for anything but recreational shooting. Time to get a better retention holster.
While I don't want to turn this into a Serpa bashing thread, I'll just say this. There's a good reason that ALOT of nationally known and recommended training facilities/trainers are banning the Serpa for anyone that is not FORCED to use one because it's issued. For more info, go here:http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php? ... ning+serpa

Enough on the Serpa. Good article. I use the term "Ambassador" when I talk about interacting with posted businesses in my classes. Can't disagree with anything he said.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Yeah..Serpa's suck...That's why LE and the Military use them :roll: ...and myself...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

TunnelRat wrote:Uh, oh! He said we should be nice when we are openly carrying. That might not go over so well... :|
C'mon TR - have you ever been not nice?

I thought you were a nice guy, :D

On the article though - I like what he had to say. Especially #4 - I have spoken to people who have a strong passion about their 2A rights. Unfortunately, that passion sometimes comes with a (political) fury that can be a turn-off to the uninformed.

IMO, points 1-3 are valid for OC or CC scenarios either one. On the equipment front, it reminds me of a saying a friend of mine used all the time - "Your eyes are priceless - why are you trying to protect them with $20 sunglasses?" Same goes for your life, and make sure you can trust your equipment when needed.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I happen to believe the vast majority of Open Carriers probably follow step #4 and that's a good thing, unfortunately there's a vocal minority that get's most of the attention.
carmen fovozzo wrote:Yeah..Serpa's suck...That's why LE and the Military use them :roll: ...and myself...
Unfortunately, not everything LE or Mil use is the best as much as we may wish it were. Sometimes when the bean counters get involved you get equipment supplied by the lowest bidder. We each must make our own determination for the equipment we rely upon and fortunately we have a choice, unlike those who must use what they are issued.

For me, I've seen enough evidence to know I want something better.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Fair enough....but I disagree with you on the quality of Military equipment our troops are using...
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I have to agree with the statements about holsters and about being ever aware of your surroundings! I know that I am not always Hyper Alert! I will state that MOST of the time I do a sweep when I get out of my vehicle. I will do a sweep when I go from and into buildings.

I know that I don't always dress nice! Sometimes I am working on something and have to run to a local store and get an item or part. :D

BUT none of these has anything to do with the 2A.

Being nice or dressing nice does not make the person a nice guy.

I'm kinda of like the character in a book I once read, Everyone I see and everywhere I go, one of the first thoughts I have is am I going to have to defend myself and what goes with that train of thought. I am not paranoid, I know that there are people in the world that want to do me harm.

You hear so much about hunting, sports and all of the LIBERAL crap being spouted! None of that deals with what the problem is.

Either we have Rights or we don't! IF we do and I think that way, then we must rebuff any all arguments about curtailing those Rights!
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Why do people that have never carried in a Serpa believe and keep slinging the crap ?

Mine has been good to me for 9 years now....if someone hasn't carried one what makes anyone an expert on it ?
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Why do people that have never carried in a Serpa believe and keep slinging the crap ?

Mine has been good to me for 9 years now....if someone hasn't carried one what makes anyone an expert on it ?
I have carried a Serpa. Actually two different versions, the typical CC style and a level 3 duty version. I stopped carrying them. When I teach for the local police academy, inevitably some of the students use them. And inevitably a couple break every academy class. If I ever have a say in the matter of approved holsters, the Serpa will be banned. I am slowly weening my agency plain clothes personnel from them. The 5.11 ThumbDrive and the Safariland ALS variants are much better holsters.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I use my Serpa for CC...Not running obstacle courses....How long does a holster last in your dept.? Do your officers where them for over ten years or do they change them ? Everything breaks, even leather.....
....So far I haven't had to roll around on the ground with it.... :)
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:.How long does a holster last in your dept.? Do your officers where them for over ten years or do they change them ?
I'd say on average holsters last 5-10 years for most of the guys/gals. Usually replacing them is more attributed to aesthetics than function. When they get beat up too bad they stop passing a uniform inspection. They function fine, just beat up. Getting in and out of the car is tough on a right handed holster. The center console and seat belt buckle like to eat the finish off the holster.

My Blog
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

xpd54 wrote:Safariland ALS variants are much better holsters.
Yup, I have one on order. :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Voice wrote:
charliej47 wrote:...
BUT none of these has anything to do with the 2A.

Being nice or dressing nice does not make the person a nice guy.
Either we have Rights or we don't! IF we do and I think that way, then we must rebuff any all arguments about curtailing those Rights!
Sorry if I misinterpreted your tone, but the above three lines of your post are what condensed out for me...

While it's entirely true that rights are rights, and we either have them or we don't, and that acting/looking nice doesn't mean that you actually *are* nice, its also true that virtually nobody wants to restrict behavior of people they *like*, *and* that looking/acting 'nice' does have a high correlation with actually being nice. (In fact that's a big part of why its *called* acting or looking 'nice'.
An excellent point. The First Amendment general prohibits the government from punishing someone for acting like a d-bag. It does not require people to like that person or listen to that person. In fact, the First Amendment also allows other to publicly declare what a d-bag that person is. Indeed, the First Amendment does not make one immune from criticism; it may actually make one a target of criticism. Note the reference in the article to Westboro Baptist Church.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.