Cant bring myself to open carry yet

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

centermass

Re: Cant bring myself to open carry yet

Post by centermass »

If you wanna get the feel of it then got to basspro, gander mountain, cabela's, and OC there. No one is going to bother in those places. I have had some looks from soccer moms but just keep walking. Good luck and carry on.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I'd just book the CCW course and get the license. If you feel uneasy about open carry follow your gut feeling.
-Aaron
docachna

Post by docachna »

BobK wrote:If you are not confident and comfortable with the idea of open carrying, then don't do it.

No one in these forums or the 2nd Amendment community is judging you based upon your personal choices in means of carry.
+1.

It is a personal choice. All the way. Some will judge you for your action, or for your inaction. Not me.

You do what you are comfortable with, WHEN you are comfortable with it. You owe nothing to anybody - including anyone on this forum.

Relax !!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

TunnelRat wrote:
ChefsPackin wrote: But lets face it, I kind of look like a hoodlum. 25 years old, covered in tattoos, big holes in my ears. Its just screaming for someone to call 911 about a MWAG
A long-sleeve, white shirt and a tie are your friends.
BobK wrote:No one in these forums or the 2nd Amendment community is judging you based upon your personal choices in means of carry.

BobK
has a greater sense of trust in his fellow man than I... :|

This is exactly what I was thinking. One of my first times was in a suit and tie minus the jacket. It got me free coffee at Flying J. :lol:
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
KimberTLE2

Post by KimberTLE2 »

Just start wearing it around the house and like you said yard work. I was out the other day walking the neighborhood with my daughter pulling her in her wagon and a perry twp cruiser pulls up and asked if I had my permit I told him I do. He said please do a better job covering it up. I told him I always open carry around the neighborhood. Now it is a very nice place with just one questionable low income building.

He asked me if I thought that was a good idea since I would alarm people. I told him it was legal and that if it scared people it was here problem. However it has never been an issue. He got defensive and said well if your going to be like that, then you should have informed me you had a gun when I pulled up. I told him inform only applies to concealed carry and that I was open carrying. He then said he was for CCW and is pro 2A and that he knows the laws and that he's just trying to keep me alive.

He never once asked for ID or my CHL and was friendly. I'm glad I had my 4 year old with me so she could see that police officers are usually good people and that they are not out to hurt you.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

KimberTLE2 wrote:Just start wearing it around the house and like you said yard work. I was out the other day walking the neighborhood with my daughter pulling her in her wagon and a perry twp cruiser pulls up and asked if I had my permit I told him I do. He said please do a better job covering it up. I told him I always open carry around the neighborhood. Now it is a very nice place with just one questionable low income building.

He asked me if I thought that was a good idea since I would alarm people. I told him it was legal and that if it scared people it was here problem. However it has never been an issue. He got defensive and said well if your going to be like that, then you should have informed me you had a gun when I pulled up. I told him inform only applies to concealed carry and that I was open carrying. He then said he was for CCW and is pro 2A and that he knows the laws and that he's just trying to keep me alive.

He never once asked for ID or my CHL and was friendly. I'm glad I had my 4 year old with me so she could see that police officers are usually good people and that they are not out to hurt you.
"He got defensive and said well if your going to be like that..." - friendly, eh?

I'm so glad he was friendly while MISinforming you of the notification requirements, and then going on to tell you a) he knows the laws :roll: , and that he is supposedly pro 2A.

After all this, I can only guess his meaning behind "I'm just trying to keep you alive".
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
KimberTLE2

Post by KimberTLE2 »

Friendly other then the part where he got defensive. I'm thinking he said I'm just trying to keep to alive because if a cop with a itchy trigger finger dosent see the gun and then pulls his when he does see it. Compaired to other police encounters he was by far the nicest.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

KimberTLE2 wrote:Friendly other then the part where he got defensive. I'm thinking he said I'm just trying to keep to alive because if a cop with a itchy trigger finger dosent see the gun and then pulls his when he does see it. Compaired to other police encounters he was by far the nicest.
Wow.

So, he informs you, in a nice way, that, in addition to himself, other officers on his force have not been properly trained, and that to preserve your life, you may want to conceal. Definitely a nice guy. :shock:

Are you familiar with Ohio's open records law? If not, I and others would be glad to help you put together a request that would get the message across that a) you'd like to understand what (woeful) training Canton's officers have and b) get the message across that you deserve better than to interact with nice, uninformed officers.

Alternately, you can just cross your fingers and hope a) you don't get shot, or b) you don't get cited for a B.S. charge which will waste your time & money, and will sully your police record.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

KimberTLE2 wrote:...I was out the other day walking the neighborhood...
What day? When? Where?

Inquiring minds want to know. We like to keep this kind of info so we can track how often LEOs actually tell open carriers this kind of crap.
MyWifeSaidYes
Michael

Post by Michael »

KimberTLE2 wrote:a perry twp cruiser pulls up and asked if I had my permit. I told him I do.
If an LEO ever asks me this question, I will respond, "I do not need a permit or license to open carry."

And if they ask me for I.D., they are in for a real surprise, since I do not carry I.D. when I am afoot.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
KimberTLE2

Post by KimberTLE2 »

It was May,10 at 15:12. I highly doubt there is a record of the stop since it wasn't called in. He was already at a house up the road for a domestic dispute. I do agree Canton cops are very ignorant of the laws. However this was a Perrry twp. Officer.