Lawsuit filed for illegal stop of Ohio open carrier

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Lawsuit filed for illegal stop of Ohio open carrier

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

For those of you who are not aware of the illegal stop that Riverside police made on an open carrier, you may want to read the report and watch the video.

Original police report:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4610284 ... -795k?da=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of stop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAqelKBUAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've gotten up to speed, you may ALSO be interested in the lawsuit that has been filed against Riverside. I know I'LL be following it closely.

Lawsuit:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6gtW6D ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some may want to skip to page 12 of the lawsuit to see how many zeroes are involved. :shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Re: Lawsuit filed for illegal stop of Ohio open carrier

Post by pirateguy191 »

Good for him.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Good luck to this guy. I'm rooting for him, but I would offer this bit of advice: Keep your expectations low and your patience high.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

.......Looks like this guy was doing nothing to warrant a stop......

I do have a question.....Did the OC have ID on him or not ? Or did he just refuse to show it ? His right of course....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

sodbuster95 wrote:Good luck to this guy. I'm rooting for him, but I would offer this bit of advice: Keep your expectations low and your patience high.
Indeed.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here's a link to the original (I think) on OCDO: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... C-dash-cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I recall, there was some serious question about whether the officer's write-up of the "stop" was real or fiction.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:.......Looks like this guy was doing nothing to warrant a stop......

I do have a question.....Did the OC have ID on him or not ? Or did he just refuse to show it ? His right of course....
Went back a bit and answered my own question...

Seems this guy does this often....

I can see the LEO might be a little suspicious when he saw the OC park somewhere else and then went to the store and not use the store parking lot...
BB62

Post by BB62 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:.......Looks like this guy was doing nothing to warrant a stop......

Went back a bit and answered my own question...

Seems this guy does this often....

I can see the LEO might be a little suspicious when he saw the OC park somewhere else and then went to the store and not use the store parking lot...
What do you mean "this guy does this often"? And, I don't recall anything about the guy parking somewhere else.

What is the source of your information?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Police report....
BB62

Post by BB62 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Police report....
OH, I thought you were referring to some factual information!

Got Freedom?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Can't open the original police report....
BB62

Post by BB62 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Can't open the original police report....
I was just looking for it myself - but you said that your comment was based on information in the police report...?

Got Freedom?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It worked this morning...

Settle down a bit friend...I'm on the OC side...So far... :wink:
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:
Actually, we don't know the facts on that issue. Thus, the John/Jane Doe cause of action. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is revealed by discovery.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Actually, we don't know the facts on that issue. Thus, the John/Jane Doe cause of action. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is revealed by discovery.
Know facts, as in a legal, prove it in a courtroom sense? Maybe not, but the officer's report is full of holes, inaccuracies, and contradictions. That's enough for me to say that the report is most certainly NOT factual.

Now, if someone can tell me how to post a PDF, I have found the police report.

Got Freedom?