Lawsuit filed for illegal stop of Ohio open carrier

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Lawsuit filed for illegal stop of Ohio open carrier

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Glock smith. That works both ways doesn't it ? Do you think one is more then the other ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:One important distinction to be made is that we only know of reported incidents of misconduct. There probably are more examples of misconduct which happen on the street, but do not get challenged...and therefore, they don't make it to the courtroom, they don't get reported on in the media, and they don't make it into the official statistics.
This I know to be true. Years ago when I was one of the first of many to start filing complaints against a particular police officer, I closely followed what happened afterwards. Got on decent terms with one of the Internal Affairs types doing the investigation because he'd found me to be truthful, and he wanted to return the favor by showing me that indeed, the department was taking the problem seriously.

When the investigators started asking merchants, etc. in the bad apple's patrol area they got feedback which confirmed that the officer was engaged in a pattern of bad behavior. More than one or two of those people wouldn't have come forward to complain on their own, they had been intimidated by the rogue officer's demeanor and temperament.

What annoyed me was that the Internal Investigations guys got very little help from the bad cop's coworkers until very late in the game. By then they knew he was a sinking ship and wanted no more part of him.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:And what do you do when that happens ?

I defend myself, and extricate myself from the immediate situation, without striking them in retaliation. And I have restrained people in the act of defending myself, (without choking them to death). Oh trust me, there have been many times that retaliation was difficult to refrain from. But I was able to control myself. And so have my coworkers, without fail.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And then he puts them on the sponge bath schedule with Bruno and the brillo pad.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And then he puts them on the sponge bath schedule with Bruno and the brillo pad.

Don't forget the enema order.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I would think the majority of your patients would not be criminals....Am I correct on that ? In your profession we hear a lot about bad-conduct and abuses happening....I am sure they are the minority and not the majority..Like for instance in LE......don't you agree ?
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Glock smith. That works both ways doesn't it ? Do you think one is more then the other ?
I'm not sure what "both ways" means Carmen. All I meant to say is that we should'nt rely on the stats as a representative measure of police misconduct. Many people - and BrianD touched on this - don't report incidents. They don't report them for a variety of reasons - they're afraid to, they're ignorant of the law, or even because they're so relieved to walk away from an encounter. I'd bet that for every one which receives publicity, several more have gone unreported.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

No doubt..
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And then he puts them on the sponge bath schedule with Bruno and the brillo pad.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:I think a lot of people are jealous of Police Officer's...Jealous of their authority. Jealous of their powers...I envy police officers....
The people that bash LEOS and never have anything good to say about them for reason they may of gotten a ticket or what ever..they are jealous of that authority..they recent the fact that LEOS have the power to reach into their pockets...when they break the law.....I envy LEOS because I know what they have to go through while on duty....Have you ever been spit in your face or kicked in the balls and held your composure and did not retaliate ? I haven't.....I envy a person with those traits....

My Son is a LEO....I do have some personal knowledge on the subject.....Don't form your opinion of all LEOS by what you see on the 5:00 o'clock. All the media is looking for are ratings...Let's see some good stuff.....oh wait...that's boring...

Carmen, my comment was in response to the above post. I’m saying it absolutely is possible to refrain from "retaliation", your words not mine, when done wrong by someone that you are forced to contend with because of the profession that you have chosen. The difference is, I’m EXPECTED to refrain from retaliation, and I know the consequences if I don’t. I will be unemployed, and the prospects of working again in my profession would be greatly reduced. The same expectations and consequences are not the same for most LEO.

And yes, most (not all) of those that I deal with that exhibit the behaviors you mentioned are either criminals or mentally ill. Sane people don’t behave that way.

And yes, I agree wholeheartedly that in both professions, the "bad apples" are a minority. One profession aggressively attempts to weed out the "bad apples", the other seems to aggressively protect them.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I've had no fewer than 15 'official' interactions with police in my life. Most of these were traffic stops.

While two of these officers were curt with me, none were any less than professional. Most were even friendly.

I reported none of them. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

No they don't....in most cases...How about Doctors in a operating situation ? He or she screws up in the OR and how many of his assistants cover it up ? If you don't your black balled...It happens everywhere.....Don't single out LE....Don't you stick up for your co-workers now and then ?

Have you ever been spit on and not retaliate ? I haven't.............I retaliated when spit on....
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I've had no fewer than 15 'official' interactions with police in my life. Most of these were traffic stops.

While two of these officers were curt with me, none were any less than professional. Most were even friendly.

Driving to fast in the LEFT lane ? :)
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:No they don't....in most cases...How about Doctors in a operating situation ? He or she screws up in the OR and how many of his assistants cover it up ? If you don't your black balled...It happens everywhere.....Don't single out LE....Don't you stick up for your co-workers now and then ?

Have you ever been spit on and not retaliate ? I haven't.............I retaliated when spit on....
No, I would not stick up for them if they are dangerous or criminal.

And as far as being "black balled" Maybe you know something about the medical profession I dont. Ive personally never heard of anyone being black balled for reporting a medical error.

I have been spit on, and I did not retaliate. I wanted to, but I didnt. Again, I know what the consequences would be in my profession.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I've had no fewer than 15 'official' interactions with police in my life. Most of these were traffic stops.

Driving to fast in the LEFT lane ? :)
Left lane. Right lane. Shoulder. Median. Sidewalk. Any mostly flat surface...mostly.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes