Open Carry question

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

usmcblt

Open Carry question

Post by usmcblt »

Title edited for clarity - Jake

Is open carry defined by: round in chamber mag inserted weapon on safe and weapon exposed? Once in a vehicle you make the weapon safe empty chamber no mag. Unless you have a valid permit. If you have a valid permit then you get in sit down and drive off right? Sorry for the ignorance in advance.

Thanks
You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get
comfortable.
Marines crawl under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be
woken by gun fire.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference.
The Marines don't have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan.
wkdravenna

Re: Open Carry question

Post by wkdravenna »

Open carry is just having a firearm that is visible in you're possession. (In Ohio) One could open carry a 12 Gauge Shotgun a Rifle or a Handgun.

Irregardless of its status Loaded or Unloaded.

Instead of calling it a "permit" we refer to that as"CHL" That means Concealed Handgun Licence. Its a licence that only applies to Handgun's in Ohio. It gives you the ability to Legally conceal a firearm on you're person also in you're vehicle. Because yes you can open carry then when you're in you're car it becomes concealed carry. Its impossible to open carry in a vehicle.

Now, I think you're asking if you can open carry with out a CHL. The answer is yes, it can be loaded or unloaded. However there are some restrictions that can get very confusing. You can't for example open carry in a "School Safety zone" or a place that serves alcohol.

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps search through the topics, lots of interesting discussions.
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/File ... anual.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a link to the Concealed Carry Law Handbook issued by AG Mike DeWine.

If you have any other questions, ask them. People around here are good at answering.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I would like to point out also that without a CHL it is necessary to unload the firearm and magazine BEFORE entering a vehicle.

And WELCOME!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

WestonDon wrote:I would like to point out also that without a CHL it is necessary to unload the firearm and magazine BEFORE entering a vehicle.

And WELCOME!
The law changed regarding vehicle transport, as well as a few other things, on March 27. A non CHL holder would only have to remove the loaded magazine and the chambered round and store the ammo and magazine separately, no need to unload the magazine.

That is likely a simplified version. I'm sure there is a thread about the changes around here somewhere.

I can not currently find the thread with the list of changes but it was HB495 that went into effect on March 27th and changed a few things including the legal method of carrying handguns as well as rifles in a motor vehicle.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

ohiophotog wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I would like to point out also that without a CHL it is necessary to unload the firearm and magazine BEFORE entering a vehicle.

And WELCOME!
The law changed regarding vehicle transport, as well as a few other things, on March 27. A non CHL holder would only have to remove the loaded magazine and the chambered round and store the ammo and magazine separately, no need to unload the magazine.
... and if the barrel length is less than 18 inches, have the firearm in a closed package, box, or case, or in plain sight in a rack or holder, or in the trunk, and definitely not have the firearm on his/her person.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Werz wrote:
ohiophotog wrote:

And WELCOME!
... and if the barrel length is less than 18 inches, have the firearm in a closed package, box, or case, or in plain sight in a rack or holder, or in the trunk, and definitely not have the firearm on his/her person.
Details...... :roll: :D

Thanks Werz, it was late and I was tired but I could not let the thread end without at least some of the correct advice on it but I knew I was forgetting something.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.