Youngstown/Boardman Open Carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Youngstown/Boardman Open Carry

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:...If you read all the threads, you would note the link to the OCDO thread where troy bilt actually spoke to Chief Foley, who indicated that he did not care about the legality of open carry, and that "any officer of his that did not stop and search someone that was open carrying would of been reprimanded."...
As a start, the results of this interaction need to be reported to the Ohio Attorney General, copied to Jonathan Fulkerson of the AG's office. I would combine such a note with a record request for any training given to the YPD from the AG's office. I would also do a records request of the YPD for their policy regarding OC.

I hope that someone from the area will do the above. If not, well, more of the same is going to keep happening.

This $!@# needs to stop.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Sit at home and whine yet take no action. That's the way to get things done! I've read some past posts of the naysayers and it appears they are too afraid to even exercise their rights anyway.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Metal1 wrote:Sit at home and whine yet take no action. That's the way to get things done! I've read some past posts of the naysayers and it appears they are too afraid to even exercise their rights anyway.
One of my favorite things to do is to read the Open Carry forum and to watch the open carriers as they out-Patriot everybody else.

Werz, as usual, has asked a simple and intelligent question: What are you trying to do? He has yet to receive an answer.

BB62, also as usual, has posted some excellent suggestions, to which there has been no response.

The easy way out, it would appear, is simply to attack those who ask questions, and to charge them with being spineless.

I'm going to go get some popcorn...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Metal1 wrote:Sit at home and whine yet take no action. That's the way to get things done! I've read some past posts of the naysayers and it appears they are too afraid to even exercise their rights anyway.
I'm not clear who you are talking to. Who is sitting at home and whining? You are in the area of Youngstown, aren't you? Five miles away or so? I'm in Cincinnati - a mere 275 miles away.

You and others in the area could have a lot more impact on things than others living much further away because you can easily attend meetings, or drive just a few miles to talk with those in positions of power.

I'm glad you are OCing, but how about following up on my suggestions? If you need some help, just ask.

Talk of an OC walk are premature, IMHO. Nail down the offending municipality/department via records requests regarding their policies and training - first. Put them in a box. Don't just poke a wild animal with a stick.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

There is a relatively new group of pro-2A activists called NEO Carry (North Eastern Ohio) that is having an open carry walk in Youngstown at noon on Sunday, May 5th. They are meeting at the parking lot at 1 Federal

They would like to start building their knowledge, experience and CONTACTS LIST for future events. As it is now, and I'm not trying to speak for them, they have no issue to protest with their walk.

This one is just for exposure. I'm not sure how many bureaucrats we'll run into on a Sunday, but you never know.

Let them see the turnout and get feedback from attendees on how to do the next event.

To just write it off and say "It won't do any good" is short-sighted.
MyWifeSaidYes
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

If you show up on a Random Sunday at city hall, it proves they don't have a purpose.

Collecting contact information can be done online. Why doesn't someone pass on one of bb62's suggestions to them.
Seriously meeting on a Sunday the government is shut down on Sundays.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

wkdravenna wrote:If you show up on a Random Sunday at city hall, it proves they don't have a purpose.

Collecting contact information can be done online. Why doesn't someone pass on one of bb62's suggestions to them.
Seriously meeting on a Sunday the government is shut down on Sundays.
I guess I'm just not that good at conveying sarcasm.

Duh. There's nobody to bug on a Sunday, but there were more people available to attend on a Sunday, so that's what they went with.

Making contacts online is just not the same as face-to-face interaction.

As for BB62's excellent suggestion, I don't know what the organizers have or have not done. I don't know if they have their lawyer on speed-dial (I know I do).

But why should we need a reason to go for a walk?

Isn't THAT the point?
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

- Thomas Jefferson

I need the exercise,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

TunnelRat wrote:
One of my favorite things to do is to read the Open Carry forum and to watch the open carriers as they out-Patriot everybody else.

Werz, as usual, has asked a simple and intelligent question: What are you trying to do? He has yet to receive an answer.

BB62, also as usual, has posted some excellent suggestions, to which there has been no response.

The easy way out, it would appear, is simply to attack those who ask questions, and to charge them with being spineless.

I'm going to go get some popcorn...

Out-Patriot? I don't see that anywhere in a post of mine.

What simple and intelligent question was asked in the post? Do you see a question in the statment?

Attack? Where is the attack? I see a lot of crying and forum commandos that belong in the Concealed Carry instead of the Open Carry portion of the Forum.

Do you see a spineless reference? What I see is a lot of negativity about those actively trying to get together and exercise their rights met with negative comments saying what's the point.

Maybe instead of eating popcorn you could catch up on reading comprehension.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Metal, what are you going to do ? Besides open carry ? Will the Media be there? Who WFMJ ?? How will we be portrayed ?

What meetings will we be attending ? What information do you have about training procedures for Youngstown PD ? Also I know for a while the Mahoning County Sheriff was patrolling in their cars with them, what are their policy's for open carry ? Can you get them so we can see if they are consistent with the ORC 9.89 ?

We have the right to open carry, Akron's Police department has made a briefing that makes that clear as has been mentioned in the Mike DeWine AG Handbook. No problems with that but I don't want to take off work and come open carry with you, unless you can articulate what else besides being seen open carrying. I can do that in Toledo. If it goes along with a city council meeting or something then i'll come.

We need a concrete reason to come to Youngstown more then just see my ex-girlfriend's.

I am going to go eat some popcorn too.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Chuck wrote:"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

- Thomas Jefferson

I need the exercise,,,,
Chuck, I should be there.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Good,
Look forward to seeing you,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

So, what happened! I had to work or I woulda been there. There's no write up here or the NEO website.
s
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

Sorry I came late to the conversation. Here is the link for our video of the event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkazSipz5Q&safe=active" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything went great. The police were respectful and I personally got a chance to meet a lot of great people. Stick with neoopencarry.org for future walks. Next one is Cleveland during their gun buyback. Should be a good time for all.