Transporting across multiple state lines

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tarriersteel

Transporting across multiple state lines

Post by tarriersteel »

I am traveling by car from Ohio to Kansas.
Indiana and Illinois are not reciprocal.
Missouri and Kansas are.
How do you handle this on unloading and reloading?
mreising

Re: Transporting across multiple state lines

Post by mreising »

tarriersteel wrote:I am traveling by car from Ohio to Kansas.
Missouri and Kansas are.
Just a bit of correction. While IN does not have recognition in Ohio, they do honor OH licenses so you are good to go there. When traversing IL, just unload your gun, put the ammo and gun in separate containers, and if possible put them in the trunk. Once you get to MO, reload and strap the gun back on and hit the road. I try not to spend money in IL when I'm travelling across, so I will refuel in Indiana just before the state line and then the only stop I make in IL is for the dogs and I to leave a deposit at the rest area.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

mreising wrote:
tarriersteel wrote:I am traveling by car from Ohio to Kansas.
Missouri and Kansas are.
Just a bit of correction. While IN does not have recognition in Ohio, they do honor OH licenses so you are good to go there. When traversing IL, just unload your gun, put the ammo and gun in separate containers, and if possible put them in the trunk. Once you get to MO, reload and strap the gun back on and hit the road. I try not to spend money in IL when I'm travelling across, so I will refuel in Indiana just before the state line and then the only stop I make in IL is for the dogs and I to leave a deposit at the rest area.
That's EXACTLY how I did it when driving to Yellowstone. I stopped in Griffin, IN, disarmed, unloaded, locked up, fueled up. We only stopped in IL to use state money to flush and wash, spent no money in vending machines or gas stations. I then rearmed in St Louis.

Repeat in reverse for the drive back.
tarriersteel

Post by tarriersteel »

Thanks. That is what I have done in the past.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

Yep, IN honors an OH CHL.

I believe that you are now OK to "pass through" IL without stopping. I'd have to look up the source on that.....but I'm a little tired tonight. I'd still avoid Chicago at all costs though.

Shouldn't be a problem as I've made that drive before myself. Got stopped on a fishing expedition in KS once, but no issues at all.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

FOPA is an affirmative defense to possessing a firearm on the trip, so long as your destination is a place you are legally allowed to possess. That means... book a night's stay in some state where you are legal to have your firearm. (you needn't be legally allowed to carry it concealed) The game changes if you book a room in a prohibited state, because that becomes your "destination."

Also note that the only people allowed to possess a handgun in Illinois are those with a valid FOID, but Illinois recognizes an out of state carry license like a "nonresident" FOID. In any case, all of the rules change if you are in Cook County, so literally avoid Cook County like the plague. (that it is.)

Indiana is one of THE most gun-friendly states in the midwest. You will be treated like an American in Indiana.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Continuum

Post by Continuum »

Follow up question. What are the rules for Cook Co? My destination is often Milwaukee. Driving around Chicago is difficult. I've tried to search this and haven't found rules that satisfy me. Hence I end up not carrying. I have the AG pamphlet from IL which is clear but there are references to deferring to muni codes. Ideas?

Thanks. Q
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Continuum wrote:Follow up question. What are the rules for Cook Co? My destination is often Milwaukee. Driving around Chicago is difficult. I've tried to search this and haven't found rules that satisfy me. Hence I end up not carrying. I have the AG pamphlet from IL which is clear but there are references to deferring to muni codes. Ideas?
The rules in Cook County are that you should'na been there...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

From the Illinois State Police brochure "Transport Your Firearm Legally"
IF A NON-RESIDENT IS VISITING ILLINOIS, HUNTING, OR TRAVELING THROUGH WITH A FIREARM, HOW DO THEY LEGALLY TRANSPORT IT?

Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition. Non residents are not required to have an Illinois FOID Card. It is recommended that in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
2. not immediately accessible; or
3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

(Why is this thread in the Open Carry forum?)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

For all intents and purposes, your rights as a citizen and as a human being cease to exist within the confines of Cook County. I'd say "don't go there with a firearm" but what I truly believe is "don't go to Cook County."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
fisher

Post by fisher »

I have a buddy who lives in Indiana who travels to Ohio frequently. I recall telling him a while back that OH was going to honor IN CHLs. That is not the case currently. Am I imagining it, or did some legislation fall through that would have permitted that. Anything on the horizon to permit it?
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Ohio believes that Indiana gives away carry licenses too easily, so Ohio chooses not to recognize their license. Things can always change, but unless something spurs that change, there's no reason to believe that will happen just "because."
Continuum

Post by Continuum »

RickT

Yes this is the document I was referring to. The next paragraph is the clincher. I've been trying to get a clear read on Chicago laws but I can't get anything clear. It clearly refers to local ordinances.

I despise Cook Co./ IL as much as the next person here so telln' me to stay clear is of little help and it's not helping me get to a solution.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Continuum wrote:I despise Cook Co./ IL as much as the next person here so telln' me to stay clear is of little help and it's not helping me get to a solution.
I -just- took a family driving trip to Minneapolis. If you'll check a map, you'll see that I was in nearly the same situation that you face. [Deleted--TR] is in the way. I opened a new thread asking for assistance in route planning to get where I wanted to get with the smoothest route possible. I had a rough draft of the route that looked like the best compromise and asked the folks here what THEY suggest or better yet, what they have done. MANY posted with the same route. Others said that even if you weren't toting a firearm, it's a fine route simply to avoid [Deleted--TR] traffic.

It seems like you are asking for some kind of magical answer that we can't provide. This puts you in the UNIQUE position of being able to find that answer and share it for the next guy.

We call it, "being a test case." Take your handgun and go to [Deleted--TR] . Then give us the full report with your discovery.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Continuum wrote:I despise Cook Co./ IL as much as the next person here so telln' me to stay clear is of little help and it's not helping me get to a solution.
Spend some time on the ISP website until you find the page with .pdf links to all the local firearms-related codes. It's there.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.