recorders

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bobk2579

recorders

Post by bobk2579 »

Just curious. I have seen this kind of item for a while now. Most if not all of us have a voice recorder or app when out and about. Has anyone used or thought about a dash cam for the car. They are cheap and used in eastern europe alot to car crash scam defense.

Here is a link to one for an idea of what I mean.

2.5" LCD HD 720P Car Dash Camera Video Recorder DVR US

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1EF0CD0615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PF-9
DB-380
Taurus TCP
Bianchi?

Re: recorders

Post by Bianchi? »

I have a dash camera permanently installed in my car. It's hardwired into the ignition, so the only way to stop it is to unplug the the power at the camera. I've been thinking about encasing the power jack in some plastic so that can't be removed either. But assuming the power jack is plugged in, it will record whenever the ignition is on.

In addition, I wired a switch directly to the battery, so the camera can be turned on even without the key. I don't have a link to the camera, unfortunately, but it's pretty small. A bit smaller than a deck of cards. It takes a micro SD card, and has continuous recording. There's a button on the side that will allow to mark a 3 minute "chunk" of video so it doesn't get overwritten. It also has a microphone, and it picks up audio quite nicely. It wasn't cheap (~$250), but I haven't had any problems with it.

I'll find a link for it and upload some photos later tonight.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Here's what I don't get ...

Why don't all these "activists" (like the CopBlock.org types) use body cameras? They're dirt cheap, and the Chinese make them by the boatload:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1HE0N87299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every time I see one of those YouTube videos, the police officers are always being recorded by some guy holding up a phone-cam like some teenage girl in the bathroom mirror. I'm pretty sure that is part of what annoys the cops, the same way anyone here (at least anyone honest) would be annoyed by a stranger on the street recording them at close range with a phone-cam.*

The body cams are now frequently used by police officers, and even if they are visible, people are not nearly as self-conscious as they would be if a camera was blatantly pointed in their direction. If you want to do the "activist" thing, why not have a body camera pointed back at the officer? Keep in mind that it frees up your hands, too.

* Note: You have no more right to privacy in a public place than a police officer does. If someone wants to annoy you by pointing a phone-cam at you, there is no law against them doing that.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
bobk2579

Post by bobk2579 »

I was thinking I'll spend the 30 dollars and play with it.

Rather than dash or front mount I thought the back ledge might be better for my use. That would cover the car inside with some site to the front road area as well. That way actions inside cars etc would be detailed as well. IE: I didnt move my hands from the wheel etc.

It should still get audio no matter which side of car is approached. I am thinking it may be a bit less obvious as well back there.
PF-9
DB-380
Taurus TCP
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

One of my close relatives worked for a company that did the dash cams for police around the country. He was all the time bringing over little "toys" to show me, including a lapel camera that was about the size of my thumbnail. I clipped onto a shirt, with a wire that ran to the recording device you left in your pocket (micro SD card). It was black, and was almost completely disguised against a black shirt or tie.

Amazingly - it took some really good video and audio for such a small device. I think it was basically a camera phone without the phone - so it probably had a few megapixel resolution.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Werz wrote:Here's what I don't get ...

Why don't all these "activists" (like the CopBlock.org types) use body cameras? They're dirt cheap, and the Chinese make them by the boatload:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1HE0N87299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every time I see one of those YouTube videos, the police officers are always being recorded by some guy holding up a phone-cam like some teenage girl in the bathroom mirror. I'm pretty sure that is part of what annoys the cops, the same way anyone here (at least anyone honest) would be annoyed by a stranger on the street recording them at close range with a phone-cam.*

The body cams are now frequently used by police officers, and even if they are visible, people are not nearly as self-conscious as they would be if a camera was blatantly pointed in their direction. If you want to do the "activist" thing, why not have a body camera pointed back at the officer? Keep in mind that it frees up your hands, too.

* Note: You have no more right to privacy in a public place than a police officer does. If someone wants to annoy you by pointing a phone-cam at you, there is no law against them doing that.
It's glitchy, audio is not very good and it saves data in small blocks, causing a skip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Also, if you're not wearing a button-down shirt, there is no stable place to attach a body cam where it will remain pointing forward.

They also don't do much good while you're seated in a car with the LEO beside or behind you. Yes, you might get audio, depending on the quality of your device, but a 10-minute video of your steering wheel, or the ground, is just annoying to watch.

I like the idea of a forward-facing, rear window mounted camera IF the camera angle is wide enough. In Ohio, some LEO's will come up to your passenger side window, so the camera would have to catch both windows or you would need 2 cameras.

A certain tall open carrier was caught on cruiser dashcam video a while back. It showed the LEO manually turning the dashcam to face the back seat. I don't want to be reaching for anything around a LEO, not even a readily visible and identiiable camera.

What I would LOVE to see is a windshield-mounted camera/recorder with 4 separate cameras (forward, back, left, right) in one little box. I've seen one such camera but it was not designed for vehicle use. Oh, yeah. It should be affordable. Maybe I'll just glue 4 body cams together and wire them to a power adapter and connect it to the vehicle power supply. I claim copyright/trademark rights! :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:

It's glitchy, audio is not very good and it saves data in small blocks, causing a skip.
I have one, and it's less than perfect, but not that bad. There's blur and lag of the video if you move side-to-side very much. The audio isn't too bad. The saves are usually in chunks of about 15 minutes each, but they are usually rather seamless.

Note that the Chinese make these things from surplus CMOS and audio units used in phone-cams, along with a lithium gel battery and a micro-SD card. There's very little difference between these and a phone-cam, anyway. The even-cheaper "key-fob-cams" produce decent video, too. Here's a video of one mounted on a motor vehicle grill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgPMLZdNkE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a video of one mounted in a motorcycle helmet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WqXZzj3HQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have two of those. It's like a firearm: if you learn how to operate it properly and practice a little bit, it's not a bad tool. Of course, some folks enjoy the "street theater" aspect of pointing a phone-cam at police officers, like ersatz investigative teevee reporters. To each his own.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I don't want to be reaching for anything around a LEO, not even a readily visible and identiiable camera.

What I would LOVE to see is a windshield-mounted camera/recorder with 4 separate cameras (forward, back, left, right) in one little box. I've seen one such camera but it was not designed for vehicle use. Oh, yeah. It should be affordable. Maybe I'll just glue 4 body cams together and wire them to a power adapter and connect it to the vehicle power supply. I claim copyright/trademark rights! :P
Therein lies the problem. These things must be physically activated with buttons on the unit. Reaching around in the vehicle is a lot different from pressing a button on a unit on your person. The only other option is to leave it running. I know that deanimator says that he always has his audio unit running. Big difference. Video burns battery power much faster than audio. You cannot leave the camera running constantly; the battery will likely be depleted by the time you need it.
-- BobK
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:What I would LOVE to see is a windshield-mounted camera/recorder with 4 separate cameras (forward, back, left, right) in one little box. I've seen one such camera but it was not designed for vehicle use. Oh, yeah. It should be affordable. Maybe I'll just glue 4 body cams together and wire them to a power adapter and connect it to the vehicle power supply. I claim copyright/trademark rights! :P
Not perfect, but the wide angle interior camera on this is pretty good.

http://thevideocopilot.com/Order_VC-250.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've had consistently good results with ether.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

...[/size]
I have one like this. The problem is that the battery power is WAAAY overstripped by the recording time - IOW, it can record lots longer than the battery will last.

Another problem with the small video cameras is that some of them will only allow recording in limited chunks. For example, let's say the camera can record for two hours (good luck finding one that does, btw), but can only record in 1/2 hour sessions.

The links here have been good, and I sure am open to others, especially if accompanied by descriptions of technical details/hiccups of said cameras.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Hello everyone -(my first post),
There are many portable DVR boxes that you can install in your car- my church just installed a school bus DVR unit with four cameras. It is designed to record when the ignition switch is on and for a programmable amount of time afterwards, or on a weekly schedule.
The unit has four cameras and the box comes with a locking mounting bracket that prevents removal of the memory card without the key.

There are even units available that will upload the video over cellular data and record GPS location (and your vehicle's speed) if you are that serious about it.

Our unit was not cheap, but for less than $500 there are others that do the same thing.
HD quality units are more expensive, but are more likely to record the license plate number of someone fleeing an accident.

I like the idea of mounting the all-in-one single camera unit in the back of the car facing forwards. Perhaps you could mount a small mirror in front of the camera to capture the rear window as well.

If I ever have the spare cash (after acquiring a back up pistol and maybe some laser grips for my carry gun) I will install something like this in my car- it will show who was at fault in an accident, and in the event you encounter a LEO who despises armed citizens (although most that I have talked to here in Akron are supportive of it, and my class was taught by a Fairlawn cop) - a camera set up like this will show the court exactly what you and him said and did.

Also, in the event your car is broken into, it may help identify the thieves.