Daycare/churches & avoiding "half-concealed" carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

VeganTaxidermist

Daycare/churches & avoiding "half-concealed" carry

Post by VeganTaxidermist »

I normally concealed carry; however, sometimes I find myself at a day care or church (and nearly every church I've been in is legally a daycare in terms of concealed carry).

My understanding is that open carry is legal in a day care or church. (If this is incorrect, please advise--but I can't find anything in ORC prohibiting this!)

The most common scenario is that I am doing various kinds of volunteer work late at night--for example, setting up expensive sound equipment or tearing it down around midnight at a church. Thus open carry is a non-issue. Same goes for day cares.

With that in mind, what are guidelines to ensure I am properly openly carrying and not accidentally concealed carrying? My understanding is that using an IWB holster is a no-go. I currently only use IWB holsters. In the event of a MWAG call, I want to be unambiguously open carrying.
pirateguy191

Re: Daycare/churches & avoiding "half-concealed" carry

Post by pirateguy191 »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that open carry is NOT legal in a day care facility in Ohio. I could be wrong, but...........
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

pirateguy191 wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that open carry is NOT legal in a day care facility in Ohio. I could be wrong, but...........
2923.126(B)(7) specifically addresses concealed carry in daycare centers; I don't see a blanket prohibition against any other forms of carry in daycare centers.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Our church has a child worship center..it's not "day care" and only is used on Sunday. I think it would fall under house of worship and then be subject to the pastor's permission. Just from our initial planning for the safety team, OC wouldn't be tolerated by either the pastor or elders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

jabeatty wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that open carry is NOT legal in a day care facility in Ohio. I could be wrong, but...........
2923.126(B)(7) specifically addresses concealed carry in daycare centers; I don't see a blanket prohibition against any other forms of carry in daycare centers.
I guess that is correct.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

jabeatty wrote:
This raises the same thorny question as non-enumerated government buildings ...

2923.126 does not address open carry; it merely says that a CHL does not grant the privilege to concealed carry in the places designated therein.

By the same token, 2923.1212 requires that both non-enumerated government buildings and day-care centers post the standardized sign: "Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises."

Although there is no penalty section under that statute, there is a strong argument that the posted notice could be enforced under R.C. 2911.21(A)(2) as Criminal Trespass. However, what if the people in charge of the day-care center or non-enumerated government building choose not to pursue a violation of the sign as Criminal Trespass? Are they allowed to permit open carry despite being required by law to post that sign?

Such a question could be posed to the Ohio Attorney General for an opinion. And I know how that might be facilitated. The even thornier question is: Do we really want to know what the Ohio Attorney General has to say about it?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
bonedude

Post by bonedude »

Not to hijack the thread, but where does the law draw the line between daycare and school, and where do preschools fall?

I ask because there are a lot of churches that rent space to preschools.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Werz wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
Such a question could be posed to the Ohio Attorney General for an opinion. And I know how that might be facilitated. The even thornier question is: Do we really want to know what the Ohio Attorney General has to say about it?

How friendly is the A.G. to our side? I seem to remember hearing that he is not so much on the side of those who carry a firearm.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

TJW815 wrote:
How friendly is the A.G. to our side? I seem to remember hearing that he is not so much on the side of those who carry a firearm.
He claims to have seen the light since being removed as a Senator..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
TJW815 wrote:
I don't know that li'l Mikey is so much pro-gun as maybe just not exactly anti-gun.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

NavyChief wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
TJW815 wrote:
I don't know that li'l Mikey is so much pro-gun as maybe just not exactly anti-gun.
Let's be honest about this ...

Some public officials, especially in areas like mine, may actually want to allow people to openly carry firearms in government buildings. However, we all know that if such open carry is allowed, other public officials - particularly in urban areas - will go absolutely ballistic.

The Ohio Attorney General knows that, too.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Seems that there is a simple solution to this one. Allow us to Concealed Carry. ;-)
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

techguy85 wrote:Seems that there is a simple solution to this one. Allow us to Concealed Carry. ;-)
^^^This!^^^
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Werz wrote:
NavyChief wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote: He claims to have seen the light since being removed as a Senator..
Let's be honest about this ...

Some public officials, especially in areas like mine, may actually want to allow people to openly carry firearms in government buildings. However, we all know that if such open carry is allowed, other public officials - particularly in urban areas - will go absolutely ballistic.

The Ohio Attorney General knows that, too.

So, if the question was posed to him, what do you thinks he would say? Think it would be a straight answer :roll:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Remember, it's not what a pol says that's important. Rather, it's what they do, that is meaningful.