Selling guns/register

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nckheinrich

Selling guns/register

Post by nckheinrich »

Mods I know this is not the right forum, please move to correct one

So I just sold a gun to somebody. Is it possible or suggested that I g"Ho to my police dept. with an expended round and say "Hey this is no longer mine and this is who owns it now."

I ask cause I do not know the person all that well and well yea.... protect myself first.
Multiple firearms is not an arsenal... it's an investment.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Selling guns/register

Post by JediSkipdogg »

The police are either going to give you a huge hassle or say they don't care.

If you are that worried, you could make a form, record some very basic info, have both parties sign, and make the transfer. Some won't buy a firearm if you do that, but it's a possibility if you are worried, it will just lesson your audience of purchasers.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

If you had no reason to suspect the person had a weapons disability, had no reason to suspect the person was buying it for the purpose of committing a crime, and the transaction was done in the same state that both the seller and buyer are residents of, you're fine.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

1. Ohio does not have any firearms registration. There is no place for police to record sales of firearms.
2. Ohio does not have a spent case database. Only one state does and it is widely regarded as a failed effort that was a total waste of money.
3. The police will probably not care one way or the other.
4. If you are somehow concerned about what happens to the gun once you no longer own it I advise that from now on you sell or trade your guns to a licensed FFL dealer that way there is an evidenciary paper trail.
5. As far as Ohio goes, as long as you do your due diligence to ensure the buyer isn't under weapons disability and is otherwise legal to own the gun you're in the clear.
6. Were a seller to demand to record personal information or create paperwork to make a private sale, I would not bother to purchase from them.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

nckheinrich wrote:I ask cause I do not know the person all that well and well yea.... protect myself first.
Let's cut to the chase here. For many/most of us, we simply do not know the person at all.
The words YOU just used makes it sound like you do "kind of" know your buyer, just not "all that well."

So to be perfectly clear -- if you had any reason to believe the person you just sold a firearm to MAY be a prohibited person or you have reason to believe they have some ill intent or inclination to go and do illegal things...

Well, you already broke the law.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

evan price wrote:1. Ohio does not have any firearms registration. There is no place for police to record sales of firearms.
2. Ohio does not have a spent case database. Only one state does and it is widely regarded as a failed effort that was a total waste of money.
3. The police will probably not care one way or the other.
4. If you are somehow concerned about what happens to the gun once you no longer own it I advise that from now on you sell or trade your guns to a licensed FFL dealer that way there is an evidenciary paper trail.
5. As far as Ohio goes, as long as you do your due diligence to ensure the buyer isn't under weapons disability and is otherwise legal to own the gun you're in the clear.
6. Were a seller to demand to record personal information or create paperwork to make a private sale, I would not bother to purchase from them.
This......And don't give 'em any ideas!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
nckheinrich

Post by nckheinrich »

No it was a legal sale. Im just paranoid in that way. Yea i recorded basic info. idk i had a gun stolen from me and would just like to cover myself.
Multiple firearms is not an arsenal... it's an investment.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

What do you intend to cover? Do you believe you'll be arrested if a criminal gets caught using it? Did you file a police report when stolen? If so, you're already covered.

This stiff doesn't really work like on TV, where they give it to the lab and have a trace on the gun owner in a couple of hours. Even if you sell one to someone that you believe is not prohibited, and someone is killed with it, you are still not on the hook if you've done your due diligence. Neither a receipt, bill of sale, etc will change anything about that. May make a tad less hassle, but that's all
dla357

Post by dla357 »

We don't want guns in the Bad Guys hands, so use your best judgement.
U.S. ARMY 1986-1996
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Guess I can pass this along now...About twenty five years ago I bought my first Browning Hi Power. Sold it to someone who was legally allowed to own it about a year or so afterwards. When he got divorced he left that gun with his ex-wife, who was allowed to own it. That woman's daughter had a boyfriend who stole the gun out of the house. I don't think the boyfriend was legally allowed to own/possess firearms. He and his friend (not sure of his legal status at the time, probably in the same boat) used it to accidentally* kill the girlfriend of that last guy mentioned in the chain of events.

Anyway this all came to light last year when a police detective called me, the original purchaser of the gun, to determine when/how I'd sold the Hi Power. Just by sort of happenstance I was able to recall who I'd sold it to, that would not always be the case. I suppose this might have helped in providing background info for the criminal prosecution in some way.

Just by way of information, none of this exposed me to any legal or civil culpability. That part was all on the jerk who stole the gun over twenty years later, and his friend, obviously. It's my sincere belief, having nosed around some on this matter, that these guys would have committed the homicide with that gun, or whatever kind of weapon they'd have gotten hold of. Still, the whole thing makes me a little sad.

*From my saddle the killing was no accident, the girlfriend of the guy who was convicted of pulling the trigger was allegedly going to testify against both those dudes in another, unrelated violent felony case. That alone provides some perspective.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Dang, Brian
Sorry you had to experience that,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Brian D, that is tough stuff, no doubt. :|

Aside from the tragedy associated with it... am I being a bit paranoid or does this bring up a bit of a red flag for anyone else?
I was under the impression or assumption that gun dealers kept these records for 10 years or was it 20 years? I'm curious how they were even able to contact you in the first place?

Investigators likely went to gun mfr, who was able to tell them the distributor the received the gun, who then told the retailer that had the gun, and only then to YOU, if you were the first retail buyer. So everyone in that chain still had this info and provided it--twenty five years later?!

Or, I suppose, if you lived in another state that had handgun registration, it came up that way. I know that I myself personally own three handguns that are still logged in a Michigan database of some manner. :roll:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Sevens wrote:Brian D, that is tough stuff, no doubt. :|

Aside from the tragedy associated with it... am I being a bit paranoid or does this bring up a bit of a red flag for anyone else?
I was under the impression or assumption that gun dealers kept these records for 10 years or was it 20 years? I'm curious how they were even able to contact you in the first place?
FFLs are not required to destroy their records. I recently had a case where the rightful owner of a stolen firearm was established by an ATF Form 4473 from a sale in 1976. The gun store owner had closed up shop years ago, but he kept his records, and when the police were hoping to establish that the gun retrieved was definitely the victim's gun, the former gun store owner was able to locate the papers.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I'm sure that they, more than anything, are afraid as hell to destroy any records. :? No matter what the law says...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Sevens wrote:I'm sure that they, more than anything, are afraid as hell to destroy any records. :? No matter what the law says...
I'll bet my brother still has his, and he knows he can get rid of them if he wants. They have other useful purposes, like establishing that a specific firearm is "grandfathered" under the current law.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.