dealing with cops on OCing..again !

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: dealing with cops on OCing..again !

Post by deanimator »

whoownsyou wrote:The only part that I disagree with is the implication that being a criminal and not answering strangers asking pervasive questions are somehow connected.
Cops want you to make that association. When you don't, it makes it a lot harder to get you to act contrary to your own interests.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

soldier24 wrote:...I really dont want to push the limits too far but I am so sick of the cops/sheriffs around fairfield and fairfield township harassing me and other people that OC and telling us they will arrest us if we keep doing and how illegal the act is...
So, given all the information tossed your way so, where do things stand at the moment? (in your mind, and on the street, that is)
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Airbrush Artist

Post by Airbrush Artist »

Why even create the situation ? Whats the Point and outcome? Will You prove a point That You can Indeed Open carry? Are You doing it because as you say "Your sick and tired of the Police officers Bothering You? I am not a criminal. I have not engaged in criminal acts, nor actions, There are plenty of criminals out there awaiting capture. If I can assist in said capture, then I have done a good deed as a citizen.None of these reasons are valid to me personally.. If a Police Officer approaches Me I'm of the mindset ,I will conform to His request ,If I have a Problem I will not escalate the situation,till I'm in court with my attorney by My side...One thing is for sure Your comment about the plenty of Criminals out there awiting capture is going to do nothing but cause the officer to be more up in your face and thats a bad thing..
BobK

Post by BobK »

Airbrush Artist wrote:Why even create the situation ? Whats the Point and outcome? Will You prove a point That You can Indeed Open carry? Are You doing it because as you say "Your sick and tired of the Police officers Bothering You? I am not a criminal. I have not engaged in criminal acts, nor actions, There are plenty of criminals out there awaiting capture. If I can assist in said capture, then I have done a good deed as a citizen.None of these reasons are valid to me personally.. If a Police Officer approaches Me I'm of the mindset ,I will conform to His request ,If I have a Problem I will not escalate the situation,till I'm in court with my attorney by My side...One thing is for sure Your comment about the plenty of Criminals out there awiting capture is going to do nothing but cause the officer to be more up in your face and thats a bad thing..
Then why worry about any of our rights? Why not invite the police in to search your home just because they feel like it?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I have engaged in open carry, and I was never comfortable in so doing.

I think the philosophy of not supporting open carry is as valid as the philosophy of supporting open carry.

Once again, it comes down to evaluating your choices, making a decision, and riding with your decision.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I Worry about being Arrested for Capitalizing inappropriately.. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm reporting you to ThE sPelLinG pOlIcE!

It is truly amazing just how many threads on this and other forums (fora?) come down to someone thinking that doing something that a LEO requests or demands is no big deal, when that demand is not required by law.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Common courtesy and respect for the occupation, as I had trained a boatload of them; desire to move the LEO along so he can deal with real criminals as my time is valuable, etc.

My philosophy, my choice. Isn't the freedom to choose grand?
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I searched, but couldn't find any studies made by any of anti-gun org.s about incarcerated robbers in the prisons and thoughts of their prey doing concealed carry vs open carry. Those study results would be an interesting and useful read. Might be counter-productive for the anti's cause though.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I'm going to offer an educated opinion. The criminal class does not support concealed carry, nor open carry of firearms. The are not supporters of the Second Amendment. Firearms in civilian, law-0abiding hands just makes their chosen profession as criminals that more hazardous.

Don't we all want safer work places?
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It is truly amazing just how many threads on this and other forums (fora?) come down to someone thinking that doing something that a LEO requests or demands is no big deal, when that demand is not required by law.
From "because I said so" to "raise your hand if you wish to speak" to "give us a cut of everything you earn or we'll put you in a cage," nearly everybody is taught from a very early age that obedience is a virtue; the very measure by which to judge a person.

Some people are so inured that they will obey every command/legislation regardless of how pointless, uncalled for, or infringing it might be. By extension, they view anybody who doesn't as beneath them. They use phrases like "required by law" as if it means "by default morally accurate." Or words like "choice" as if "comply or be harassed, tased, even kidnapped" is actually a choice.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Ah, yes, here we have the same old suspect(s) talking about the negatives of OC and of not acquiescing to police requests, but no response from the OP.

It's sure good to have the voices of "reason" here on the OPEN CARRY forum. :roll:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:Ah, yes, here we have the same old suspect(s) talking about the negatives of OC and of not acquiescing to police requests ...
That's because we know the same old gang will show up with their torches and pitchforks. Glad to see you brought yours. :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:Ah, yes, here we have the same old suspect(s) talking about the negatives of OC and of not acquiescing to police requests ...
That's because we know the same old gang will show up with their torches and pitchforks. Glad to see you brought yours. :wink:
Uh-huh. :roll:

Got Freedom?

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

whoownsyou wrote: From "because I said so" to "raise your hand if you wish to speak" to "give us a cut of everything you earn or we'll put you in a cage," nearly everybody is taught from a very early age that obedience is a virtue; the very measure by which to judge a person.

Some people are so inured that they will obey every command/legislation regardless of how pointless, uncalled for, or infringing it might be. By extension, they view anybody who doesn't as beneath them. They use phrases like "required by law" as if it means "by default morally accurate." Or words like "choice" as if "comply or be harassed, tased, even kidnapped" is actually a choice.
We all live in the complicated web of relationships called society. Our particular society has accepted certain agreements or contracts if you will, of proper behavior towards one another as means to protect individual rights of everyone from the infringing behavior of others. What constitutes a freedom and what constitutes an infringement is a topic up for much debate in what we call the world of politics.

We can either chose to be apart of said society and agree to the contracts herein and receive what benefits that entails or we can chose another path and accept the consequences of that choice.

I understand your sentiment about not wanting to be a mind numbed robot who simply obeys without question, but the way your post reads, it sounds like you'd prefer it if there was no rule of law at all. Unfortunately such a situation never lasts for long as political power abhors a vacuum. Sooner or later, someone with the might will take over and start a new society with new laws and social contacts and you're back to square one. Why would anything else be better than what we have right now? What would you have us replace our current system with?