CHL & open carry in vehicles ?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ron in Toledo

CHL & open carry in vehicles ?

Post by Ron in Toledo »

Hello to all,
It's been quite a while since I've been on board here, sorry.
While in the hospital another patient and I discussed open carry and he brought up an interesting question I couldn't answer:
Can the holder of a Ohio CHL open carry while driving a vehicle in Ohio ?
My question here is:
Can anybody give me a reference to a qualified answer based in Ohio law please ?
Thank you for your time and consideration. --- ron in toledo
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CHL & open carry in vehicles ?

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Short answer: Handguns, yes. Long guns, no.

ORC 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

(B) makes having a loaded firearm in the vehicle a crime
(C) makes having an unloaded firearm in the vehicle a crime unless it's secured in one of the methods described

(F)(5) Exempts CHL holders from (B) and (C) for handguns.
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

Life without music is a mistake.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Almost by definition, there is no open carry in a motor vehicle. The vehicle itself provides the cover. Thus, you need a license to carry in a vehicle.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

TunnelRat wrote:Almost by definition, there is no open carry in a motor vehicle. The vehicle itself provides the cover. Thus, you need a license to carry in a vehicle.
Can I hook up a holster to the roof rack, or driver door, would that be open carry ?
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

TunnelRat wrote:Almost by definition, there is no open carry in a motor vehicle. The vehicle itself provides the cover. Thus, you need a license to carry in a vehicle.

It's not the matter of "open/concealed" that causes an issue. It's the matter of improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, which having a CHL takes care of (as long as you are following the other parts of the law).
Michael

Post by Michael »

A motorcycle doesn't provide cover...
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Michael wrote: A motorcycle doesn't provide cover...
Not physically, we are talking legally and of course what you can plainly see with your own eyes and what is legal are often two separate things. It's not necessarily about concealment as it is "proper handling of a firearm in a vehicle".
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Michael wrote:
A motorcycle doesn't provide cover...
Someone will be along shortly to provide a link I'm sure, but there was one person that tried that argument all the way to the apeals level. He didn't find it to be a successful experience.
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

It's still good to focus on when legislation tries to redefine the English language. People without CHLs cannot be secure in their own vehicles and that's a problem.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

whoownsyou wrote:It's still good to focus on when legislation tries to redefine the English language. People without CHLs cannot be secure in their own vehicles and that's a problem.
After 3/27 of this year the situation becomes better for non-CHL holders. They still can't have rounds in the gun but they can have a loaded magazine for the gun, as long as the gun is in a closed container (ex: glove box) and the magazine is in a separate closed container (ex: center console storage).

Cue 3 pages of discussion on the new law changes :wink:
grampajeep

Post by grampajeep »

DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN. :cry:

Gerry