Flap holster?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jakor

Flap holster?

Post by Jakor »

Is a firearm in a flap holster, such as this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =325768091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

be considered open carried or concealed carried?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
jabeatty

Re: Flap holster?

Post by jabeatty »

Jakor wrote:Is a firearm in a flap holster, such as this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =325768091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depends on whether you accept the plea deal or not.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

jabeatty wrote:
Jakor wrote:Is a firearm in a flap holster, such as this one:

Depends on whether you accept the plea deal or not.

I don't have to. I have a CHL. I see to recall a case involving this, but I don't know how it turned out. Too bad.

Wifey has business in the city, wants to take her revolver, but lacks a CHL. I told her there's always open carry . . . This particular one, with the Sam Brown type should strap, seems to be something that she would have to try hard to lose.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

The outcome of that case wasn't positive. I always recommend to people that if you have no CHL and want to open carry get a holster with active retention and one that makes the firearm as visible as possible. That means no IWB holsters and no flap holsters. It also means dressing so that there's no chance of the holster or the gun becoming even partially covered.

Also, for someone open carrying without a CHL, remember that you cannot have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle at all, even with the magazine loaded and stored separately (at least until March 27th).
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

What does that mean, it wasn't positive? What was the ruling?

Rather than my peppering you with questions, can you answer just one more? What was the name of the case? I'll look it up myself and cut out the middle man. :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Jakor wrote:What does that mean, it wasn't positive? What was the ruling?

Rather than my peppering you with questions, can you answer just one more? What was the name of the case? I'll look it up myself and cut out the middle man. :D
There was no ruling. There was a plea deal which has no precedent value, so the question is still open.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Jakor wrote:What does that mean, it wasn't positive? What was the ruling?

Here's the story.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 7&p=289684