Open Carry Concerns after all the shootings.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rorsborn

Re: Open Carry Concerns after all the shootings.

Post by rorsborn »

parbreaker wrote:I haven't thought too much about it since it's winter and I now have a heavy coat on most of the time...

Honestly I think anyone that's going to make a scene about it would have made a scene about it before the shooting too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm confused. If you put a coat over it, isn't it concealed carry and you have to have a license for that.
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

rorsborn wrote:
parbreaker wrote:I haven't thought too much about it since it's winter and I now have a heavy coat on most of the time...

Honestly I think anyone that's going to make a scene about it would have made a scene about it before the shooting too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm confused. If you put a coat over it, isn't it concealed carry and you have to have a license for that.

That's exactly why I haven't thought about it... during the summer just about anytime I'm not at work I'm open carrying... in the winter I dress the same except I now have a coat over it because it's cold. Therefore, no one sees the gun that much during the winter. I open carry because it's easier to deal with, and trying to open carry while wearing a heavy coat would be just silly.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

A guy came in to Bob Evans OCing yesterday where I was having lunch with some co-workers. He had a shoulder rig over a white polo shirt and blue slacks. Nice shoes. Nice belt. Hair cut and neat. Looked like an armed insurance salesman, with all due respect to insurance salesmen. A fine up-standing (and armed) citizen. It was only after about 10 seconds that I noticed the stripe on his sleeve contained the word POLICE. It was really subtle.

A woman with us comment along the lines of "thank God his shirt says POLICE. I was getting nervous."

I told her that was the dumbest thing she'd said all day, and that was a major accomplishment. She threw a napkin at me, and we went on about our day.

I DO think people are a little more freaked out, and irrationally so. A bad guy won't hit Bob Evans dressed like that with his Glock in a should rig for all to see.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

"Bad guy" is the important phrase.

While I wouldn't expect a "bad guy" to be clean cut and OC'ing, I'm open-minded enough to NOT rule it out.
MyWifeSaidYes
nckheinrich

Post by nckheinrich »

Maybe its cause I have a drop leg so its really noticiable when I OC but I have had many comments on my carry... Usually its some hunter asking what I carry or some lady thinking I'm a cop or military (it is digi camo so....) I have only worried one time when I was in line for smokes and the guy behind me carrying a case of beer started asking a lot of questions, do I have CHL, what kind is it, ammuntion type, then he asked if I would pull it out of the holster in the store so he could look at it.... Yep I left after that question. :mrgreen:

Most of my comments have been from store clerks (again mostly males) asking what type it was.
Multiple firearms is not an arsenal... it's an investment.