Open Carry Concerns after all the shootings.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

Open Carry Concerns after all the shootings.

Post by soldier24 »

First off I love to OC, I do have my CHL but for reasons OC is more comfortable to me and what I wear also just how I personal think about it. Now on to the point. I never have had any regular person come up to me and ask, question or even freak out why I have a gun on my hip. I have been wondering with all the shootings going on and more people are turning away from the public having guns and carrying them, do you think its becoming more "dangerous" to OC? I think people might really freak out more or make a scene in the public area, or worse(what ever you personally think). I might be getting too paranoid or over thinking this? I'm still going to OC and will conceal if I wear my winter jacket but I am curious what other people think. :D 8)
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
parbreaker

Re: Open Carry Concerns after all the shootings.

Post by parbreaker »

I haven't thought too much about it since it's winter and I now have a heavy coat on most of the time...

Honestly I think anyone that's going to make a scene about it would have made a scene about it before the shooting too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Ray

Post by Ray »

I agree with Parbreaker........ I OC most of the time, except for when it's real cold outside. Most people don't even notice that I have a firearm on my side. I wouldn't think to hard on this, just carry on and if someone does say something, try to educate them a little. If that isn't possible than walk away after you tell them to have a good day..

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

Ray wrote:I agree with Parbreaker........ I OC most of the time, except for when it's real cold outside. Most people don't even notice that I have a firearm on my side. I wouldn't think to hard on this, just carry on and if someone does say something, try to educate them a little. If that isn't possible than walk away after you tell them to have a good day..

Ray
Thanks guys. I wish some of my friends carried or know more people locally that carried. Would make things easier lol
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

I'm local to you and open carry frequently. Guess we just haven't run into each other yet.
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
BobK

Post by BobK »

If you already open carry, then you realize that 99% of the sheeple don't even have enough awareness to realize you are open carrying.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

true. OC'ed all day and nobody even looked.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

If you're looking for attention, sling an AR-15 across your back like this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJf4Aye8sw
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

brian0918 wrote:If you're looking for attention, sling an AR-15 across your back like this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJf4Aye8sw
Not looking nor do I need the attention. Its our right and its something I prefer doing in lighter clothes.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
CableGuy

Post by CableGuy »

Soldier-- I OC alot Downtown, the only ones I worry about are those who notice it before even looking at your face, those who don't notice I don't worry about....(usually its the crack heads or shady characters I walk by in OTR or come into my friends store.) But with winter coats cover well.... I OC alot at my IGA or Walgreens too.
Favorite recent Quote:
"As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters
Michael

Post by Michael »

I OC without worry. Did so today, in fact. At a Wendy's in Marysville. No one seemed to care, assuming they even noticed.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
sigger

Post by sigger »

I OC'd last Sunday after church. MY son & went to Chipotle on Gilmore Rd. in Forest Park. While we were in line, a Forest Park officer came in the store. He got in line with the rest of us. When the line winds around the corner I was standing right in front of him. My son commented later that that's when he was going out of his way to check out my gun. Then the craziest thing happened: we got our food, paid for it, and went on our way home without a problem. A+ for Forest Park PD.
I haven't had any adverse reactions to OC since the tragedy in Ct..

[Edited grammar, oops]
We the people . . . do ordain and establish . . .
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I had 3 responses.

One was at my office it was a shocked look but then the lady "corrected herself" and she said you know you have to do what you feel is what you need and if you have to protect you're business than that's what you have to do. Then she cited a recent story from Michigan where a clerk defend himself with a gun from a machete wielding robber. Saying that the guy came in said he was going to stab him unles he got money. The owner pulled a gun and said no and that he had a gun. The guy left she seemed like she "got it" then after relaying that story. Then we talked about Connecticut and I assured here many people with guns would have loved to be able to defend those children and put that madman out to pasture.

Then another was at 7-11 where I was talking to the clerk for about 30 minutes, were friends. One lady came in said she "actually feels much safer with you being here we need more good people in our neighboorhood" (which might be true ;) )

Then another guy came into 7-11 and said "that thing is registerd right ?!? " I said nope. He said "They have to be registered all guns do and they should be" (then i quit listening to his dribble) I said that's the worst Idea I heard and continued to talk to my friend for a couple more minutes.

Normally you get no reaction. Its rare to get a negative reaction.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wkdravenna wrote:Then another guy came into 7-11 and said "that thing is registerd right ?!? " I said nope. He said "They have to be registered all guns do and they should be"
I usually offer a standard response: "I'm sorry you feel that way."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
rg920

Post by rg920 »

I carry open all the time. Outside the couple of questions from little kids on whether or not I'm a cop, I have been blessed not to be questioned, looked at or otherwise accosted from openly carrying a sidearm. I believe the more folks carry and the more opportunities folks have to educate the general publilc the better off things will be. You are always and forever going to have people who just blow a gasket everytime they see a gun, but fortunately for me, I have not had to deal with them...Carry on, be safe and be vigiliant.
Robert Gurney, N8RLG
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
All around swell fella!

"Those who would deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." Abraham Lincoln