open knife carry in Greene County

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TMFC

open knife carry in Greene County

Post by TMFC »

My wife and I bought my 15 yr old a nice Bear Grylls 3.5" fixed blade knife for Christmas. I have been allowing him to carry it on his belt since he opened it. Today we had a legality discussion, someone is convinced that it is not legal for a kid to carry a fixed blade knife on their belt. Can anyone please shed some light on this for me.
To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788
brian0918

Re: open knife carry in Greene County

Post by brian0918 »

To my knowledge, knife laws vary by city. I tried searching for "knife" or "blade" in Xenia's codified ordinances, and found nothing related to that. Your county may have its own laws though, but I couldn't find where they are posted online.

My knowledge on this is pretty limited though, so you should use the search function to read old posts (e.g. this one) or wait for others to respond before deciding what to do.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Knives are prohibited in Beavercreek parks.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

Unfortunately knife laws do not have preemtion like gun laws do in Ohio.

By state law I am not aware of any law prohibiting him from wearing the knife openly. Carrying it concealed could be construed as carrying a concealed weapon.

To get any more specific than that you will have to check the county laws and each city's municipal code that he will be in. Some places just copy and paste the state laws, while others write books of their own on the subject.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
jpphoto1

Post by jpphoto1 »

Found this site a while back, may help. http://www.amlegal.com/library/oh/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;