First time OC (non eventful)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fivezero57

First time OC (non eventful)

Post by fivezero57 »

Greetings,

I Open carried for the first time today at the Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg. It was non eventful, but i couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable I made the girl at the cash register. She was shaking and looking at me like I was getting ready to rob the place. To be honest it kind of turned me off to OC. I'll probably give it another go but I hate that I scared that poor teen girl. I hear that it gets easier as you do it more. I did get a few nods, which was cool.

Just sharing my thoughts on my first OC experience!

P.S. for those who are curious, I was carrying my Springer 1911 LW operator w the armory kote finish.
-Chris
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First time OC (non eventful)

Post by CroManGun »

That's one of the things I love about the great state of Ohio. Two people excercising their rights. Hers, to be scared. Yours, to OC. With the way things are in the world today, its probably good for her to get as much practice as possible being scared. Same goes for you in OCing. Carry On!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

fivezero57 wrote:Greetings,

I Open carried for the first time today at the Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg. It was non eventful, but i couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable I made the girl at the cash register. She was shaking and looking at me like I was getting ready to rob the place. To be honest it kind of turned me off to OC. I'll probably give it another go but I hate that I scared that poor teen girl. I hear that it gets easier as you do it more. I did get a few nods, which was cool.

Just sharing my thoughts on my first OC experience!

P.S. for those who are curious, I was carrying my Springer 1911 LW operator w the armory kote finish.
Well, be careful with that. You may very well be correct. But, when open carrying for the first few times, it's easy to assume people's reactions are in response to your gun - after all, YOU"RE aware of the gun, they must be. She may have been uncomfortable. But was it really the gun? Do you know for sure that the last customer wasn't a terrible person and you just got the after-effects? Do you know for sure that you weren't looking her in the eye a lot, which can make people uncomfortable if they aren't used to it? Maybe it wasn't you, but a customer two registers over that was giving someone else a hard time or was giving off "bad" vibes over there and you just happened to be the person she was interacting with? It's easy to come with an infinite variety of scenarios in which you weren't actually the one making her uncomfortable. People never realize how much their behavior changes and how much what they know about something influences how they think other people are viewing the situation. She may very well have been wary of you open-carrying, but there's no reason to assume that was the case unless she flat out told you.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

fivezero57 wrote:She was shaking and looking at me like I was getting ready to rob the place.
Just wondering: did you look like the kind of guy that'd be there to rob the place?

I don't know you - never seen you, have no idea if you're male/female or some other-worldly species.

Some guys spend half their lives trying really hard to look like they're part of the thug culture. They're shocked - SHOCKED, I tell ya! - when someone behaves as if they might actually be thugs.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
docachna

Post by docachna »

jabeatty wrote: Some guys spend half their lives trying really hard to look like they're part of the thug culture. They're shocked - SHOCKED, I tell ya! - when someone behaves as if they might actually be thugs.
You mean like the cosmetically enhanced young ladies who wear tight T-shirts saying "Quit staring at my shirt, pervert !" ???!? Do everything you can to draw attention, then whine when you get it ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Now you know how isolated and ignored the 800lb gorilla in the room feels. :|
fivezero57

Post by fivezero57 »

jabeatty wrote:
fivezero57 wrote:She was shaking and looking at me like I was getting ready to rob the place.
Just wondering: did you look like the kind of guy that'd be there to rob the place?

I don't know you - never seen you, have no idea if you're male/female or some other-worldly species.

Some guys spend half their lives trying really hard to look like they're part of the thug culture. They're shocked - SHOCKED, I tell ya! - when someone behaves as if they might actually be thugs.

This is a great question. No, I do not believe that I looked like I was getting ready to rob the place. I feel that I usually blend in with the crowd. I'm just a "regular guy".

Another part of what made me nervous is my experience as a police dispatcher. I have been on the receiving end of MWAG calls involving OCers many many times. I try to advise callers of the legality of OC in Ohio while on those types of calls, but no one ever wants to hear any of it. I have yet to have someone say "oh, never mind" while calling in a MWAG (to be clear I'm talking about what obviously sounds like an OCer, not the person firing off rounds at parsons/main).

Everyone's responses to my post have been excellent. I truly appreciate your words of wisdom.
-Chris
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

I'm glad everything was uneventful. I have found that the more you ignore it and the more polite you are the more relaxed everyone is.

Most people (probably 85-95%) won't even notice you have a gun on. Of those that do notice most will just assume you're ok to have it as long as you don't make a big deal about it and are polite. I have found that saying thank you and excuse me and so forth can do a lot to instantly put someone at ease.

There's always going to be that small percentage (<1%) that are just going to get nervous no matter what every time they see a gun without a badge attached to it. They are typically lost causes. In all of my OCing I've only ever personally encounter one person like that, and it was still a non-event.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

parbreaker wrote:I'm glad everything was uneventful. I have found that the more you ignore it and the more polite you are the more relaxed everyone is.
Exactly. I have never had a problem. Few people ever show that they notice, and the few who do usually show positive interest.

Should I ever encounter the rabid anti-gun type, I will simply reply, "I'm sorry you feel that way."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I OC in that Gander Mountain quite a bit and have never had a problem
Most recently buying deer slugs,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
kn0wledge000

Post by kn0wledge000 »

I've OCd many times in and all around columbus. I've never had any problems or anyone looking crazy persay. Even a couple LEO around and no big deal. I usually not to a LEO as to kindof give the "im legit and not scared of u" look. And sometimes strike a conversation. That has turned into, "nice piece" on more than one occasion.. I have even OCd a mossy 500 while I was doing armed security for a Latino concert in town. (looking like you just came off a SWAT ruck with multiple weapons and a crew tends to shut down ANY tyranny that would have pursued lol)
BobK

Post by BobK »

kn0wledge000 wrote:.. I have even OCd a mossy 500 while I was doing armed security for a Latino concert in town. (looking like you just came off a SWAT ruck with multiple weapons and a crew tends to shut down ANY tyranny that would have pursued lol)
Are you licensed, armed private security, or was this simply an informal, "I'll help keep an eye on things?"
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
kn0wledge000

Post by kn0wledge000 »

BobK wrote:
kn0wledge000 wrote:.. I have even OCd a mossy 500 while I was doing armed security for a Latino concert in town. (looking like you just came off a SWAT ruck with multiple weapons and a crew tends to shut down ANY tyranny that would have pursued lol)
Are you licensed, armed private security, or was this simply an informal, "I'll help keep an eye on things?"

All of the above :p
kn0wledge000

Post by kn0wledge000 »

As I know "working" with firearms do not use the same laws pertaining to ur "personal rights". If I want I know I can strap the mossy on my back n go about my daily life per personal laws... But once I step into a working environment I must have lisence... Which I do also. Asp, rifle/shotgun, handcuff, oc, and handgun.
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

I will have to snap a picture next time I am at my local Gander Mountain.

There is a sign that says all firearms must be checked at the desk. CCW need not bother.

I wonder how they would deal with a Open Carry.
Life without music is a mistake.