First time OC (non eventful)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kn0wledge000

Re: First time OC (non eventful)

Post by kn0wledge000 »

Extremely friendly n gun friendly company from what I see. I open carry there all the time . Gander mountain FTW
BobK

Post by BobK »

Cynyster wrote:I will have to snap a picture next time I am at my local Gander Mountain.

There is a sign that says all firearms must be checked at the desk. CCW need not bother.

I wonder how they would deal with a Open Carry.
I've open carried at both Central Ohio GM. No big deal. All they really care about is making sure people keep it holstered.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Rockcat

Post by Rockcat »

I OC in the local Gander Mountain most of the time I visit the store. It has been a while since I read the sign at the entrance regarding the check of firearms and bows, but I do know it contains the provision for Concealed Carry (and I believe Open Carry) where allowed by law.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have OC'ed at both Columbus area stores without event.

My belief regarding checking guns and bows at the front desk is for those that need repair or other work done. There ARE some folks out there that could loose an arrow or ND a firearm in the store.

IMHO, self-defense guns, open or concealed, should stay in their holsters unless needed for self-defense. If your EDC needs a sight upgrade, unload it and put it in a case before going into the store, as a courteous and safe practice.
MyWifeSaidYes
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

fivezero57 wrote:i couldn't help but notice how uncomfortable I made the girl at the cash register. She was shaking and looking at me like I was getting ready to rob the place. To be honest it kind of turned me off to OC. I'll probably give it another go but I hate that I scared that poor teen girl. I hear that it gets easier as you do it more.
Yes, it will get easier for both of you. That girl, and others like her, have been indoctrinated into believing that only cops and criminals have guns. Thanks to you, she has now seen first hand that it's entirely possible to have a gun or be in the presence of a gun without it being a cop or a crime. She might begin to question her old belief, now having hard evidence to the contrary. Who knows, it might even lead to a fondness and new found hobby of hers in the future. Wouldn't be the first time.

If you yourself were relatively comfortable, you've already bested one of the bigger hurdles. All that remains is to contemplate what you will say if people start a dialogue with you on the subject and of course what you will do/say if approached by a cop. The questions I get asked the most are if I'm a bounty hunter or if I'm a cop. I choose to answer that I am an ordinary person, just like them. It serves to both ease their mind out of the idea that you have to have a title to carry a gun while also helping them to understand that it is an option for them.

Anytime you're OC'ing, make sure you have a few extra minutes. Whether it's to deal with an unreasonable police response or to take the time to answer any and all questions others might have. As stated above, you will be making the future easier for you, for the people you talk with, and for all of us. Another tip I have is if you're going into a gas station or convenience store, I usually get out my wallet and sometimes even my cash before entering. Let them know you're there to give them money, not try and take theirs away.

No offense to the uncomfortable cashier, but I have to chuckle at the prospect of somebody being nervous around a gun while working in a place that sells guns, in a position that will find her accepting payment for gun sales.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
Joshs9mXD

Post by Joshs9mXD »

Where I use to work I dressed in a tie and really nice, OC a few times to the gas station to get coffee, they said it was free! I think they thought I was a detective!?! :lol:
If Guns Cause Crime,
Matches Cause Arson.
nckheinrich

Post by nckheinrich »

Doesn't the gander mountain sign say conceal carry or legal carry in the state (or something of such....) 2nd is that girl was scared of a big bad gun maybe she shouldn't work at a store that has a hundred or so deadly weapons. Just my 2 cents.
Multiple firearms is not an arsenal... it's an investment.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

nckheinrich wrote:...that girl was scared of a big bad gun maybe she shouldn't work at a store that has a hundred or so deadly weapons. Just my 2 cents.
^^^ This.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I'm glad to hear that things went well for you. As for the girl, there could have been many other things that had her a little on the wound side.