Fairfield Township LEO open carry FAIL

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiorobp

Re: Fairfield Township LEO open carry FAIL

Post by ohiorobp »

Am I just off base in my thinking? Please I am not well versed in the law. And with that I know only what I have been taught and absorbed through reading. But, couldn't we start with local LE? Persons with a CHL meets with the PD they reside in and form some sort of group. That group meets once a months or whatever. In the group laws and ideas are shared as well as building if bonds and trust. We start there and make it larger and larger. Then we would have the body and means to take it to Columbus. Get all on board and work together. Idk just thinking outloud.
Fly high in the heavens baby girl, I will see you again one day!
Gracie 2004-2012
NRA member, Army Veteran, LEO for a bit lol, OATH KEEPER, former RSO and INSTRUCTOR....I'm really not that old LOL
Former owner and blogger of thesheepdoglife
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ohiorobp wrote:Am I just off base in my thinking? Please I am not well versed in the law. And with that I know only what I have been taught and absorbed through reading. But, couldn't we start with local LE? Persons with a CHL meets with the PD they reside in and form some sort of group. That group meets once a months or whatever. In the group laws and ideas are shared as well as building if bonds and trust. We start there and make it larger and larger. Then we would have the body and means to take it to Columbus. Get all on board and work together. Idk just thinking outloud.
Won't work. Too many PDs don't have the staff to devote someone to that. If they do it for one group, there will be 100 more in line. Also, there are numerous law enforcement officers throughout the state that teach the CHL class. I've heard massive mis-instruction given by quite a few of them when they get to the law. So who's to say the police department doesn't put someone in that group that doesn't know the law but thinks they are right. I work with an officer that thinks you have to notify even if you aren't armed. Now, he won't arrest anyone on it even if they are armed and forget, but he thinks notification is required 100% of the time. I've corrected him a few times on it and he follows me.

Also, with an LEO and an everyday citizen, probably 90% of the time the LEO will win. And when you tell them to consult legal council, they take that as an insult to their abilities.

We've sent letters, the AG has written an opinion, yet neither have worked. The only method will be like they did with the human trafficking and that is through state law mandating the training on it. OHLEG offers a very nice question and test scenario and if one could get it mandated through the legislature for an OC/CHL test then it would probably help a majority of officers.

Then again, if we just went constitutional carry, the uproar of people against it and then if we win, would probably make all law enforcement aware of legal carry.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

"The legislative branch is what it is. As I once heard a tax professor say, legislators, "regardless of party, are pimps, prostitutes, and used car salesmen." And they respond, almost solely, to the same motivators.

Executive officials, particularly in legal sector, can be influenced by allegations that they are not doing their jobs. Feel free to pursue your methods if can raise the money. I will pursue mine. It would be easier if an old friend wasn't leaving the OPOTC at the end of the year, but I still have other methods of getting the attention of the right people."

I'm not an open carry guy, so this is not my cause célèbre. Because of my penchant for selectivity, those few "pimps, prostitutes, and used car salesmen" with whom I choose to deal, tend to stay bought.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Since this isn't my cause, I provided what I believe to be the key to resolution of their on-going problem. They can do the organization; paint the old barn red; raise the money; hire the lobbyist ...or not. Clearly, to form and put into effect a proper game plan, create the milestone chart, keep the plan on-track, etc. will require some heavy lifting.

This is their problem to resolve. Perhaps they will choose another path, or perhaps they will retire in place.

Sorry, but I tend to limit my fund-raising efforts to a select group of Ohio constitutional offices, select members of our general assembly, and some members of the judiciary.
ohiorobp

Post by ohiorobp »

Thanks Tweed. I was just thinking. I appreciate your thought and all your post. Man, there HAS to be a way to do this. Owell I have enjoyed the thread and all the knowledge. Thanks all.
Gracie 2004-2012
NRA member, Army Veteran, LEO for a bit lol, OATH KEEPER, former RSO and INSTRUCTOR....I'm really not that old LOL
BobK

Post by BobK »

ohiorobp wrote:Am I just off base in my thinking? Please I am not well versed in the law. And with that I know only what I have been taught and absorbed through reading. But, couldn't we start with local LE? Persons with a CHL meets with the PD they reside in and form some sort of group. That group meets once a months or whatever. In the group laws and ideas are shared as well as building if bonds and trust. We start there and make it larger and larger. Then we would have the body and means to take it to Columbus. Get all on board and work together. Idk just thinking outloud.
Don't forget to hold hands and sing "Kum Ba Yah" at the end of the meeting. :P
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

Has any body bothered to see if the Chief got our open carry letter?
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
ohiorobp

Post by ohiorobp »

BobK wrote:
Sorry brother. I wasn't trying to say its that easy. But there has to be a way to get along and not but face to face. That's jut my thinking. I would rather work with the. Against. I am a Vet and former LEO. My logic is to work together. As a Leo I was hire and worked for the people. Isn't this still true?
Gracie 2004-2012
ohiorobp

Post by ohiorobp »

Sorry for the spelling. Blame my iPhone. LOL
Gracie 2004-2012
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

ohiorobp wrote: As a Leo I was hire and worked for the people. Isn't this still true?
You are one of the few who feel this way IMO. Not just LEO's, all Public Servants.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

ohiorobp wrote:
BobK wrote:
Sorry brother. I wasn't trying to say its that easy. But there has to be a way to get along and not but face to face. That's jut my thinking. I would rather work with the. Against. I am a Vet and former LEO. My logic is to work together. As a Leo I was hire and worked for the people. Isn't this still true?
First, local law enforcement needs to be trained. What they can do, what they cannot do, and the general conditions under which each applies.

But if you have been in law enforcement, you know there will always be officers who are "badge heavy." The will see much of that training as "undercutting their authority," and they will interpret the law (and often the facts) in terms of their "preferred reality."

You also need supervising officers who will say, "Don't do that or you will be disciplined."

It also helps to have a prosecutor who will say, "If you do that, I will not prosecute it, and you and your department will be subject to a lawsuit."

That still won't stop some cops, but at least they won't think that the local law enforcement establishment is standing behind them.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

SO has any one asked if the Department er received our OC letter? IT is a valid question that needs answered.

Vote 2012!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

jamie9mm wrote:SO has any one asked if the Department er received our OC letter? IT is a valid question that needs answered.
I can answer that....nope.

Prove that they did? They weren't sent certified so they can say "what letter?"

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mreising

Post by mreising »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
jamie9mm wrote:SO has any one asked if the Department er received our OC letter? IT is a valid question that needs answered.

I had Butler County for at least one of the letter campaigns, and I know I sent letters to all agencies in the county, including updating some of the contacts where there had been a change in Chiefs. I just don't remember if it was this one or the other letter campaign. I'll see if I still have my spreadsheet of addresses. What was the approximate date of the OC letter campaign?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

mreising wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

I had Butler County for at least one of the letter campaigns, and I know I sent letters to all agencies in the county, including updating some of the contacts where there had been a change in Chiefs. I just don't remember if it was this one or the other letter campaign. I'll see if I still have my spreadsheet of addresses. What was the approximate date of the OC letter campaign?
I can't recall. I know I had Hamilton County and if you recall where I work, well, I never saw the letter. I know I mailed it, but I'm sure request would say nope.

mreising

Post by mreising »

I found it. I was the person that mailed the OC letter for Butler County and Fairfield Twp PD was one of the ones I sent. It may have been one that I had to update the contact name but I wont know that until I see if I still have the spreadsheet.

EDITED TO ADD: I sent the letter to Richard St John of the Fairfield Twp PD in March or April of 2011 based on the date I copied the spreadsheet to my other computer.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.