Fairfield Township LEO open carry FAIL

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: Fairfield Township LEO open carry FAIL

Post by tbrew85 »

St John is still the current chief.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
pauldeere

Post by pauldeere »

Although I'm new to this forum I am not new to Ohio gun law. I'll go out on the limb and give my interpitation of the law as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong. It has always ben a law in Ohio that it was illegal to transport a loaded firearm unless you are a certified police officer until the C.C. permit was inacted. I think the key word is loaded, you do not need a permit to carry a firearm in any fashon, open or concelled, as long as it is not loaded. The term "Ready at Hand" refers to carrying a gun unloaded with the ammo close by, or loadable. Ready at hand or loadable has ben determined by the courts to be a loaded firearm. A Concelled Carry permit means just what it says, you have a permit to carry the gun concelled..............just my 2 cents
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

pauldeere wrote:Although I'm new to this forum I am not new to Ohio gun law. I'll go out on the limb and give my interpitation of the law as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong. It has always ben a law in Ohio that it was illegal to transport a loaded firearm unless you are a certified police officer until the C.C. permit was inacted. I think the key word is loaded, you do not need a permit to carry a firearm in any fashon, open or concelled, as long as it is not loaded. The term "Ready at Hand" refers to carrying a gun unloaded with the ammo close by, or loadable. Ready at hand or loadable has ben determined by the courts to be a loaded firearm. A Concelled Carry permit means just what it says, you have a permit to carry the gun concelled..............just my 2 cents
Actually, the pre-CHL law said "loaded or with ammunition ready at hand." And "ready at hand" has always been a very fuzzy term.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pauldeere

Post by pauldeere »

If Menards is anything like Lowe's. At the counter in the lumber dept. also known as the contractors section and check out area. There is always "Free Coffee" and early on most mornings there is "FREE DOUGHNUTS". This might be the reason the cop was hanging around the counter............
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

pauldeere wrote:If Menards is anything like Lowe's. At the counter in the lumber dept. also known as the contractors section and check out area. There is always "Free Coffee" and early on most mornings there is "FREE DOUGHNUTS". This might be the reason the cop was hanging around the counter............

Or perhaps he was looking at a previous incident with a loss prevention associate.
DPK

Post by DPK »

tbrew85 wrote:
147Doc wrote:So he was a Warren County deputy in 2002, and works for Fairfield Township now?
Yep. That's the same one.
tbrew85 wrote: MK: I’m the instructor
Me: Ok
MK: I give those permits, I instruct people (unintelligible) Been doing it for 22 years.
Me: You work for the county?
MK: no
Me: You mean you, you teach the class, Ok
MK: The carry concealed class, I think I may know.

I know this is dredging up an old post, but as I was reading through the thread I was almost certain this LEO mentioned that he was an instructor for 22 years? I'm pretty sure the guy in this article wasn't even SHAVING 22 years ago. The article claims he is 34 years old. Did I read everything correctly?