Youngstown Ohio Open Carry Arrest (CCW of Pocket Knife)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mrs. Daspirate

Re: Youngstown Ohio Open Carry Arrest (CCW of Pocket Knife)

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

selective quoting is fun. :D
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
soccerrefwilcox

Post by soccerrefwilcox »

I think if I drove from Toledo to Youngstown I might need to stretch my legs a bit. Depending on the date I would like to join you for a stroll.
There is nothing in my house worth you dieing over!
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

This is not a post to organize an open carry walk. Please stay on topic. Further posts regarding a walk will be deleted.
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Michael Porschien

Post by Michael Porschien »

Actually, in a way, Sabolo, it is exactly that, as i asked for a headcount to aid me in organizing an event in the future. Organizing an open carry walk is the logical next step in the progression of this thread and the surrounding events, so that's why i asked for willing people to post with their names and time constraints. if, in doing so, i violated a rule of the forums, i apologize for my ignorance. I already have two threads on this board about the event, and didn't want to clog the Open carry sub forum with Porschien-related threads. That being said, this entire thread is certainly not dedicated to one idea at a time. We're grow'd ups, I hope we can handle a multi-idea conversation. That being said, on to other details...

I got my firearm back on 12-24-12, as i posted about earlier. However, less than 2 hours after i got home from the station, the front sight fell off my weapon!! it is an interchangeable sight post, fit into a groove on the slide, but it's certainly not supposed to be so loose that it fells out when you rack the slide! I took pictures immediately after it happened. following that, i contacted Beretta's contracted gunsmith for the NE USA area, and my firearm is obviously still under warranty, but I'm concerned about any further damage i may not be able to see yet. If they dropped or mishandled the weapon, as the broken sight suggests, there may be other damage that the gunsmiths wouldn't think to check on. How would you guys approach this latest twist in the case? Should i try to claim damaged property through my lawyer, or should i just ship it out to have it fixed? Or both?
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

IMHO, get it repaired under warranty. Even if they damaged it, you would have a hard time proving it. It would cost you much more than simply shipping it back for repair under warranty.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
mreising

Post by mreising »

Sabalo's comments about this not being an attempt to organize an OC event are because there are TOS issues regarding procedures for organizing those kind of events. I'm sure he will be back to further explain the process.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

There is a required procedure for using the OFCC forums to organize an event. Please read the thread (the url is below) if you are expecting to solicit our forum members for a political/gun related activity. If you so choose to use this forum to advertise or recruit members, please complete the form posted in the thread and submit it to a mod or coordinator.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

And good luck,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Michael Porschien

I have excellent news for everyone here who has helped me wade into this murky legal system, and to come out on the other side: Case dismissed! I have in my possession a signed and dated document saying i'm an innocent man. Not that i needed the confirmation, but my civil attorney sure seemed to want it. I went to court this morning, armed with an audio recorder and an empty holster, sat in the courtroom for maybe 30 minutes, and my attorney beckoned me out to tell me the good news. However, this is where the story takes a turn for the less-than-ideal.

These Youngstown cops really need to learn their laws...

So, i walk into the police station, next door to the muni. court, and head up to the fourth floor. My efforts to get my knife and ammunition were fruitless, because the property officer wanted a court order, or someone to sign off on it. The three people allowed to sign off on the release were not present, so as instructed by my attorney, i gave her a call, and headed back towards the muni. court. That's where things got really hairy.

As i was walking to security, and began taking my phone, wallet, keys, ect, out of my pockets, i was stopped by a Srg. Dapolito, who insisted that i could not enter the courthouse wearing an empty holster. i stayed polite, while i pulled out my recorder (yes, yes, i know!! i shouldn't have turned it off. it was almost out of storage space, and i had already been through 2 checkpoints!!) And after i got it out, i recorded him saying the following:

(Keep in mind this is not a full transcript of the 2 minute recording, and the audio will be up in a little bit, after i redact any personal info.)
(About halfway through the audio)

Srg: If you can give me one good reason why you wanna go up there with that holster, I might consider it. Now give me one good reason.

Me: Because it is completely harmless. and i am legally allowed to do it.

Srg: No! You're not allowed to do it.

Me: Ahh... yeah!

Srg: No! You're not! Where's your concealed carry weapon.. ahh... ID.

Me: It's just a piece of plastic.

Srg: I don't care!, you're not going up there with it. Go outside and call your attorney. tell them what i said.

Me: Fair enough.

(End Transcript)

Afterwards i walked out of the courtroom, went Back to the police station, and passed through security (my third successful pass out of 4 total checks) and called my attorney, who told me to just go home, so as to not get arrested for .... nothing, again. I did have another chat with a follow by name Officer Bruno, who, while ignorant on the lack of laws governing holsters, seemed polite enough. So, what do you all think?
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

I think the wife, daughter, and I are going to do some shopping in Youngstown tomorrow... As always, her and I will both be open-carrying our Ruger SR-40s... perhaps we'll enjoy the warmer weather and stroll around downtown and the Uni, as well!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Michael Porschien wrote:I have excellent news for everyone here who has helped me wade into this murky legal system, and to come out on the other side: Case dismissed!
You may want to consider a sealing of your record pursuant to R.C 2953.52. It will come in handy for passing background checks after you graduate.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Michael Porschien

I have plans for that already going, however paying for the seal is going to be the burden of the city, after i win my civil case. At least, that's the plan. I was wrongfully arrested, i see no reason why i should pay any money. the cost of sealing / expungement will be part of the lawsuit against the YPD.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

keep us advised, particularly about an open carry walk. Planning should defer to the TOS. A two week window would help for those who need to schedule leave. And seasomal conditions are currently important.

i would suggest
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Any updates?
MyWifeSaidYes
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

I am curious as well. I "carry" a Buck folding knife. I would be curious to see how it was viewed.
It has a belt clip (always clipped inside my front pants pocket. Not concealed but not very noticeable either.
It's overall length is 7¼ inches when open. 3/8" thick (yes, very thin, which is why I carry it)
The blade length (straight from tip to the very last of the serrations is 2 and 3 quarters.
Without the serrations it's 1 and 5/8th"
It is a locking blade with a knurled knob to allow you to open with one hand and has no spring assist.

In other words... It's a dang pocket knife and I use it as a tool.
Like cutting tape on boxes that I want to open.
Opening coffee packets (a daily occurrence).
Use one of the serrations to cut the jacket of a CAT-5 cable.
Cut wire ties.
Trim up labels. etc etc etc etc Ad nauseam.

Not to start a rant but it's ridiculous the amount of crap laws that have been made to "prevent" people from breaking other laws. :|

It is already unlawful to attack someone. Do we really need dozens of laws saying its unlawful to attack someone using this baseball bat or that frying pan?
Or in this case... a 3 inch knife? The dude had a gun! Do you really think he would bother with the knife? :lol:
Life without music is a mistake.