Youngstown Ohio Open Carry Arrest (CCW of Pocket Knife)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Michael Porschien

Re: Youngstown Ohio Open Carry Arrest (CCW of Pocket Knife)

Post by Michael Porschien »

Cynyster wrote: ...The dude...
...agrees with you. :) Knife laws in Ohio are a bloody mess. So to speak. The cops myself and others have talked to basically say it is up to their own discretion as to whether or not to charge you with a CCW crime if they catch you with a knife. Their parameters are so subjective any attempt to pin them down will give you a headache. Basically, if the cop wants to, he can charge you, or he can let you go. Luckily there are several defenses for the reason you had the knife, affirmative defense, demonstrated work use, ect. But the fact remains they can do whatever they like, and as the jerk who took my phone says, they'll just "Let them play with this downtown."

Come to think of it, that sounds like a very good thing to write on a banner to carry around Youngstown during a walk...

On the "any updates" front, I really have little to report. My civil attorney has agreed to take the case against YPD, being funded by a friend of said attorney who believes strongly in 2A rights. He seems confidant in the facts of the case, especially after my dismissal. But i have not talked to him since last monday. He told me then he would be "throwing around some ideas" with his colleagues for a week, and then he would actually write and serve the paperwork. I'm obviously not very familiar as to how the process works, and i just made a note to have it explained to me at some point by my attorney. Unless someone here has some experience with the process behind filing a civil case, especially against the police, and the time frame I'm looking at?
AFVet

Re: Youngstown Ohio Open Carry Arrest (CCW of Pocket Knife)

Post by AFVet »

Any updates?