Open Carry In Columbus

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Northman69

Re: Open Carry In Columbus

Post by Northman69 »

My instructor is one of the owners of new albany gun store. I do feel cheated now. I took the one day class it was 12 hours. He covered a lot of stuff. I have been shooting and have owned guns all my life. And to tell you the truth I do know the laws pertaining to the CCW permit. But when I am out with my family and I have my gun concealed and walk into say meijer and there is a sign on the door that says "NO GUNS", im not walking back to the car to leave my gun. What if I am robbed or attacked leaving the store? This can be said for wherever you may be. Now I dont take my gun in places that you know are illegal. Schools, GOV buildings EXC.... But I do remember clearly him saying this " IF YOU COME TO A STORE EXT THAT HAS THE SIGN YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY YOU DIDNT SEE IT" he never said it was illegal to do so thus me thinking it was just the store saying so and not actually a law. Also my course was before they changed the law allowing you to carry into bars and eating establishments that have alcohol. I need to get a up to date book on the revised law and give myself a refresher. Again thank you gentlemen for the input and wisdom.
Jag1813

Post by Jag1813 »

Its unfortunate that some instructors choose not cover Ohio law in their concealed carry classes, but its downright inexcusable when they choose to pass along bad information.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
- G. K. Chesterton

XD .45 compact
Beretta 92D Centurion
CMMG AR15 5.56
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Model 80
Stevens Model 258A
Northman69

Post by Northman69 »

Jag1813 wrote:Its unfortunate that some instructors choose not cover Ohio law in their concealed carry classes, but its downright inexcusable when they choose to pass along bad information.
I completely agree.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Your comment about coming to a Meijer store with a "No Guns" sign intrigues me. I am not aware of any posted Meijers around here. They may have the Div of Liquor Control sign which starts out with "Warning, if you are carrying a firearm in this...you may be guilty of a felony..." or words to that effect (there are old and new versions of the sign). That sign does not apply to those with a concealed carry license. Again, as others have said, it does appear that your instructor is doing a diservice to his students if he is teaching as you have stated. Please make sure you are completely aware of the laws regarding firearms and concealed carry.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Northman69 wrote: I need to get a up to date book on the revised law and give myself a refresher. Again thank you gentlemen for the input and wisdom.
You can still get Sean Cully's book at the OFCC store. Every Ohioan with a CHL should buy one. Whether or not it's updated with the restaurant carry law, (I don't know), it's still the best gun law book out here in Ohio.

http://secure.ohioccw.org/store/p/36-Ha ... -Laws.aspx
The British are going! The British are going!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I just got back from Yankee Peddler's in Canal Fulton....They have 2 small bridges over some creeks you have to cross...I swear I heard Trolls talking under both bridges.......... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

northman69-

I am available Monday after 2pm and most all day Tuesday if you would like to go on an open carry walk, either in your neighborhood or elsewhere in Columbus. PM me if you are able, or post your interest here and I'll PM you my contact info.

Let me touch on a few things:

1) DO NOT ADVOCATE CRIMINAL ACTIVITY ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

You have already done this a couple times here. If you are cited or arrested for Criminal Trespass, I see the word "premeditated" being used at your trial.

2) PLEASE do not say or think you "know" the laws surrounding the carry of a firearm as you have demonstrated that you do not.

Go to http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and read section (C)(3)(a)
Then, read the entire text of 2923.126, then read most of the codes under 2923.
There are also a few good codes to read under 2921, especially 2921.29 and 2921.31.
Do all this before open carrying.

3) PLEASE get your stories straight.

First you say you carry into a CPZ and just never "see" the sign because of what your instructor told you.

That info was corrected and you said "WOW I had no idea about the sign thing... I will be sure to never carry into one of those places".

Then, a couple posts later, you say "...when I am out with my family and I have my gun concealed and walk into say meijer and there is a sign on the door that says "NO GUNS", im not walking back to the car to leave my gun."

4) Please don't be offended if someone on this forum suggests that you should NOT provide ID to a LEO if you have NOT done anything wrong.

This is not yet a police state where the Nazis can walk up to you and say "Papers, please!", then shoot you if you don't provide them (or have them). If your car was in perfect working order, you were not speeding, and a cop pulls you over to demand your license, would that not bother you? How about if he told you you were doing nothing wrong, he just felt like stopping you? Open carry is legal and you DO NOT, by law (ORC 2921.29) have to identify yourself. Many recommend not carrying ID at all while open carrying if not in a vehicle. Just leave it in your car.

5) This might be trivial to some, but it's NOT a "CCW permit", it's a Concealed Handgun License, or CHL.

Technically, it's an Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun, but CHL is easier and accurate.

A permit allows us to do something we can not normally do, like a dangerous ordnance permit to handle explosives. A license regulates something we CAN already do, like a driver's license for travelling (no license needed for bicycles or horseback, just motorized vehicles). A concealed HANDGUN license regulates HOW we carry a handgun.

Also, we CANNOT conceal any other firearm (like a rifle or shotgun) or weapon (like a knife)with this license, so it's not a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) anything.

If you go for an OC walk with a buddy, go ahead and take a video of the walk and post it to YouTube EVEN if there are no negative events. We should try to get more positive OC videos on-line.

And have fun!
MyWifeSaidYes
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

That all contradicts the 2nd amendment.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

wkdravenna wrote:That all contradicts the 2nd amendment.
Most of us agree it sure does. Do you have lots of money and time to fight the "right" case to the Supreme Court with a good chance of winning? :?:

Most of us don't, so we follow the flawed laws, and work to get them changed. :wink:
Northman69

Post by Northman69 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:northman69-

I am available Monday after 2pm and most all day Tuesday if you would like to go on an open carry walk, either in your neighborhood or elsewhere in Columbus. PM me if you are able, or post your interest here and I'll PM you my contact info.

Let me touch on a few things:

1) DO NOT ADVOCATE CRIMINAL ACTIVITY ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

You have already done this a couple times here. If you are cited or arrested for Criminal Trespass, I see the word "premeditated" being used at your trial.

2) PLEASE do not say or think you "know" the laws surrounding the carry of a firearm as you have demonstrated that you do not.

Go to http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and read section (C)(3)(a)
Then, read the entire text of 2923.126, then read most of the codes under 2923.
There are also a few good codes to read under 2921, especially 2921.29 and 2921.31.
Do all this before open carrying.

3) PLEASE get your stories straight.

First you say you carry into a CPZ and just never "see" the sign because of what your instructor told you.

That info was corrected and you said "WOW I had no idea about the sign thing... I will be sure to never carry into one of those places".

Then, a couple posts later, you say "...when I am out with my family and I have my gun concealed and walk into say meijer and there is a sign on the door that says "NO GUNS", im not walking back to the car to leave my gun."

4) Please don't be offended if someone on this forum suggests that you should NOT provide ID to a LEO if you have NOT done anything wrong.

This is not yet a police state where the Nazis can walk up to you and say "Papers, please!", then shoot you if you don't provide them (or have them). If your car was in perfect working order, you were not speeding, and a cop pulls you over to demand your license, would that not bother you? How about if he told you you were doing nothing wrong, he just felt like stopping you? Open carry is legal and you DO NOT, by law (ORC 2921.29) have to identify yourself. Many recommend not carrying ID at all while open carrying if not in a vehicle. Just leave it in your car.

5) This might be trivial to some, but it's NOT a "CCW permit", it's a Concealed Handgun License, or CHL.

Technically, it's an Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun, but CHL is easier and accurate.

A permit allows us to do something we can not normally do, like a dangerous ordnance permit to handle explosives. A license regulates something we CAN already do, like a driver's license for travelling (no license needed for bicycles or horseback, just motorized vehicles). A concealed HANDGUN license regulates HOW we carry a handgun.

Also, we CANNOT conceal any other firearm (like a rifle or shotgun) or weapon (like a knife)with this license, so it's not a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) anything.

If you go for an OC walk with a buddy, go ahead and take a video of the walk and post it to YouTube EVEN if there are no negative events. We should try to get more positive OC videos on-line.

And have fun!
I appreciate your input. What I was trying to say is prior to joining this forum I was misinformed. I was under the impression that carrying somewhere that had the sign was ok to do. Not open carry of course but conceal as long as the business did not know otherwise. By what my instructor had said. I am a very responsible and intelligent person and one of the reasons for joining this forum was to educate myself more on the subject as im sure many before me have done. I dont take my rights lightly as im sure none of you do. But I also carry my gun to protect myself, my family and others. I know that we as responsible gun owners and "CHL" holders have a responsibility to follow the law. It was hard enough to obtain the privilege, and we have a duty to uphold it responsibly. Since I have learned that it is against the law to carry somewhere that has this sign posted I of course will never do so again. I was just saying that was my mind set before I knew otherwise, to which I am grateful for the information. And you will all have to forgive me I am not yet familiar with your abbreviations. LEO? CPZ? EXC...
Northman69

Post by Northman69 »

Also I never have seen a meijer store with a no guns sign. I was just using that as an example. And it takes a while for my posts to go up since I am a new member I guess. Cant exactly remember all of my long posts LOL. But again I will never do so. So you will all have to forgive my ignorance on the subject. And yes I would love to go on a open carry walk with an experienced person.
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

LEO- Law Enforcement Officer

CPZ- Criminal Protection Zone (an establishment that posts "no guns" signs)

CHL- Concealed Handgun License or Ohio License to carry a Concealed Handgun
BobK

Post by BobK »

Northman69 wrote:My instructor is one of the owners of new albany gun store.
Way back in the day, that is where I originally got my training as well. If I recall correctly, the store has been sold since then so I have no idea who is doing the training now.

The thing I remember most about the guy who was part owner was him coming into class after lunch and discussing concealment and holster types. He proceeded to pull about 15-20 different guns out from various places all over his body using a lot of different holster types. It really made an impression on me.

I also remember him saying that he recommended against open carry in Columbus and warned about inducing panic or disorderly conduct being the risk. Of course, the open carry climate in Ohio has changed enormously since 2005, so he may feel differently now.

Just so you know, trespassing in a private business that posts a sign is charged as Criminal Trespass, a Fourth Degree Misdemeanor.

From R.C. 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.:
R.C. 2923.126(C)(3) (a) Except as provided in division(C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
It references R.C. 2911.21 Criminal trespass.
R.C. 2911.21(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:
(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.
(D)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of criminal trespass, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
gabe

Post by gabe »

muxtech wrote:
Northman69 wrote: I need to get a up to date book on the revised law and give myself a refresher. Again thank you gentlemen for the input and wisdom.
You can still get Sean Cully's book at the OFCC store. Every Ohioan with a CHL should buy one. Whether or not it's updated with the restaurant carry law, (I don't know), it's still the best gun law book out here in Ohio.

http://secure.ohioccw.org/store/p/36-Ha ... -Laws.aspx

Does SeanC still posty here ever? always found him informative.
"When it's time to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco

Vaya con queso amigos.
BobK

Post by BobK »

gabe wrote:
muxtech wrote: Does SeanC still posty here ever? always found him informative.
He had to lower his profile when he started working at the Ohio AG office during Strickland's term. Don't know if he is still there or not.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?