Open Carry In Columbus

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry In Columbus

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Chuck wrote:
PersonalCCW wrote:Why would you want to open carry? Why do you want to let the bad guy know to shoot you first?

Open carry makes too many people nervous. What they don't see they don't fear. Don't give them a reason to hate the gun movement.
Why would you want to come on here and in ten posts or less lecture us on how we should or shouldn't carry?

I OC everyday and I scare nobody.
That's because of that cute face and hat you have... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

This probably wasn't the best place to ask that question.
Just saying.
Do I open carry all the time? No.
Do I open carry on occasion as a political statement, ie to show perfectly normal, calm, collected people carry firearms? Yes.
Have I ever sent people screaming away from me? No
Do I have a problem with those who prefer to concealed carry all the time, absolutely not.
I do, however, expect similar respect in return.
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

techguy85 wrote:This probably wasn't the best place to ask that question.
Just saying.
Do I open carry all the time? No.
Do I open carry on occasion as a political statement, ie to show perfectly normal, calm, collected people carry firearms? Yes.
Have I ever sent people screaming away from me? No
Do I have a problem with those who prefer to concealed carry all the time, absolutely not.
I do, however, expect similar respect in return.
Seems to be a growing concern in all corners of life now-a-days.
Displaying lack of respect has become far to popular. :|
Life without music is a mistake.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I only carry concealed when I can't carry openly.

And I only complain about someone else's choices when it has absolutely no effect on me...oh, wait...I don't DO that!
MyWifeSaidYes
diamond12

Post by diamond12 »

Hey I live in New Albany, too! Yes, you can get in trouble for bringing a gun where they do not permit them. Age/race/appearance is going to be the deciding factor on if they charge you or politely ask you to leave. I don't care what anyone says, this is the truth. Also, you need to show the officer your I.D., that's why they give them to you. The officer has no idea who you are or what kind of permit you do or do not have. He is just making sure everyone in the area is abiding the law.
VAOpenCarry

Post by VAOpenCarry »

Also, you need to show the officer your I.D., that's why they give them to you. The officer has no idea who you are or what kind of permit you do or do not have. He is just making sure everyone in the area is abiding the law.
--FAIL!!

Diamond12,

Any state that does not have a law against Open Carry is a legal Open Carry state. An officer cannot demand ID simply because you are open carrying without some other reasonable articulation of a criminal offense. Terry v. Ohio decided that a police officer must have “reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime and has a reasonable belief that the person “may be armed and presently dangerous” before he can detain you. Nor can an officer assume you are a felon simply because you are carrying. According to United States V Black, "Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.”

In short, insist on your rights. When the cops try to detain you, say that you want to leave. Try to leave. Force them to prevent your departure. In doing so it's proof that this is not a consensual encounter.
diamond12

Post by diamond12 »

Yeah.. I am just SO used to dirty Reyn P.D. that I don't even remember my right's almost! They would just claim you "looked suspicious" or make up some crap like they always do. I didn't say they would detain you, just check on you- you know? I'm young so I am used to this... getting pulled over for no reason just to make sure my license is valid and I am sober... and a reason to try to go through my stuff and trash my car. I actually get surprised when the cops actually respect me. Call it being a teenager in Reynoldsburg, I dunno.. moved here when I was 15, I am now 23.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It IS amazing at how one's perception of the police can be tarnished when you do not know your rights.

It is not the job of the police to tell you...it's your job to know them.

Follow this link: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A cop needs to suspect you have done, are doing or are about to do something illegal, or have witnessed a felony, before they can demand ID. Even then, if you are not driving a car, you have no duty to provide them with an ID card of any kind.

Even if you are just going to open carry, you should probably read most of the ORC chapter 2923 sections on weapons control. And definitely check out ORC 9.68.
MyWifeSaidYes