Open Carry In Columbus

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ltcfb118

Re: Open Carry In Columbus

Post by ltcfb118 »

I tell my students it is their duty to look for any warnings or posted prohibitions prior to entering any establishment. I am an advocate of common sense and safety. I would never joke about the most basic premise of ignorance of a law that you break is not a defense. With that said, I would carry concealed in uber liberal Columbus.
"That night, I thanked God for seeing me through that day of days and prayed I would make it through D plus 1. I also promised that if some way I could get home again, I would find a nice peaceful town and spend the rest of my life in peace."

MAJ Dick Winters
Easy Company, 101st ABN
June 6, 1944
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bringing an old thread back to life? Okay.

I open carry in Columbus quite frequently. While the political landscape is liberal, the Columbus Police are well-informed about open carry.

Columbus has more problems with open carriers than with police harassing open carriers.

The Wendy's at 161 and Busch Blvd. put up a gunbuster sign because an OC'er was asked to leave and started an argument instead of just leaving.

Now there's no OC or CC there.
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Wendy's at 161 and Busch Blvd. put up a gunbuster sign because an OC'er was asked to leave and started an argument instead of just leaving.
Sigh . . .

There are anti-gun idiots and there are pro-gun idiots. Neither side has a monopoly on being stupid.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Wendy's at 161 and Busch Blvd. put up a gunbuster sign because an OC'er was asked to leave and started an argument instead of just leaving.
Sigh . . .

There are anti-gun idiots and there are pro-gun idiots. Neither side has a monopoly on being stupid.
Unfortunately, it is the pro-gun idiots who screw things up for the rest of us. The above anecdote is a good example.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
CCWInstructor

Post by CCWInstructor »

ltcfb118 wrote:I tell my students it is their duty to look for any warnings or posted prohibitions prior to entering any establishment. I am an advocate of common sense and safety. I would never joke about the most basic premise of ignorance of a law that you break is not a defense. With that said, I would carry concealed in uber liberal Columbus.
On duty to look for any warnings or posted prohibitions, does not mean call ahead and ask if they allow guns. This is a no-no.
Joel C/CCWInstructor_________________________________________________________________________________
If John Browning developed a handsgun, he would have put a 12 inch grip on it!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:Unfortunately, it is the pro-gun idiots who screw things up for the rest of us. The above anecdote is a good example.
No, it is both the pro-gun idiots and the anti-gun idiots (I know that second part is redundant).
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:
Werz wrote:Unfortunately, it is the pro-gun idiots who screw things up for the rest of us. The above anecdote is a good example.
No, it is both the pro-gun idiots and the anti-gun idiots (I know that second part is redundant).
No, that redundancy is of the essence. Anti-gun idiots are simply ignorant. Pro-gun idiots should know better. That's why they hurt us.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Can someone email Feinstein and ask her to ban idiots?

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
mdad

Post by mdad »

Just remember, If you poke an already mad dog with a stick,he will probably bite you.!!
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein
Life Member NRA
Life Member North American Hunter
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Make it a pointy stick and see what happens... :P :shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
Michael Porschien

Post by Michael Porschien »

I'm just gonna put this out there... i'm not sure it's being poked with a sharp stick that that lady needs. She seems pretty uptight.

Did anyone else watch the entire senate hearing, 216 i think it was? Her face was so screwed up, you'd think she was sitting on that stick mentioned above.

And as far as the whole pro-gun idiot vrs anti-gun idiot, i have to say i agree that people who advocate carrying a deadly weapon should be held to a higher standard when it comes to maturity and responsibility. However, it's increasingly annoying that those standards have to be so high as to be constantly toeing the line, like driving on an interstate with a trooper behind you. People are people. They make mistakes, they make stupid decisions, and they sometimes fight the right battle in the wrong place.
PersonalCCW

Post by PersonalCCW »

Why would you want to open carry? Why do you want to let the bad guy know to shoot you first?

Open carry makes too many people nervous. What they don't see they don't fear. Don't give them a reason to hate the gun movement.
Personal CCW
http://www.personalccw.com
NRA Certified Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

OOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

PersonalCCW wrote:Why would you want to open carry? Why do you want to let the bad guy know to shoot you first?

Open carry makes too many people nervous. What they don't see they don't fear. Don't give them a reason to hate the gun movement.
Why do you want to carry a gun? Why would you want to let a bad guy shoot you at all?

Firearms make too many people nervous. What they don't understand they fear already. They don't need a reason to hate the gun movement.

Please, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum. You may use the search engine to find a thread on the matter, elsewhere. This is the Open Carry Forum.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

PersonalCCW wrote:Why would you want to open carry? Why do you want to let the bad guy know to shoot you first?

Why would you want to come on here and in ten posts or less lecture us on how we should or shouldn't carry?

I OC everyday and I scare nobody.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)