Butler County Metroparks

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Butler County Metroparks

Post by tbrew85 »

Just thought I would share correspondence with the Commissioner of Butler County MetroParks regarding their park rules. I sent the original Email on April 3rd. I got a response from the Administrative assistant, while setting in the court room in Waverly for H&G's trial/untrial. She apologized for the delay in answering and stated a computer problem prevented her from receiving my email until yesterday, but that she had forwarded my email to the "Executive Director of the MetroParks of Butler County, for response."

Subject: Metroparks Rules and Regulations

To the Board of Park Commissioners:
Jonathan R. Granville
Gregory T. Amend
Edward L. Dwyer
Cynamon Trokhan

I was reading the Rules and Regulations posted on the Metroparks website. One rule in particular caught my eye. Specifically, section 5, Firearms and Weapons; 1545.09 5b states that firearms are prohibited unless (among other exemptions) being carried by Concealed Handgun License holders.

The wording of this rule has been a common mistake made by park districts and other government entities in an attempt to comply with Concealed Carry laws. While it is true that Concealed Handgun License holders cannot be prohibited from carrying their firearms in parks, it is also true that people without licenses who lawfully carry their firearms openly also cannot be prohibited. As such, this rule is in violation of ORC 9.68 because the way the rule is worded would prohibit the lawful “open carry” of firearms in the parks.

According to the dates listed on the Rules and Regulations, this was "Authorized and approved by Board of Park Commissioners Resolution No. 50.08. Date Approved: May 13, 2008. Effective June 1, 2008". The relevant ORC section has an effective date of March 14, 2007.

If you have any questions about this, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Sincerely,

"Tbrew85"
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
tbrew85

Re: Butler County Metroparks

Post by tbrew85 »

Today, I got this reply.

Mr. Tbrew85:

We appreciate your comments in regard to the open carry provisions of state law and the apparent conflict with the language of MetroParks Rules and Regulations. You are correct that state law always trumps local ordinances whenever there is a conflict. Recent court cases from across the state support your contention regarding open carry rights regardless of the possession of a concealed carry permit.

Our Park Rules and Regulations are due for an up-date to eliminate such conflicts, address present park system needs and increase clarity. Locally, you may be interested to know, our Ranger staff have never issued a citation based on the specific section of our Rules and Regulations which is the subject of your email and, under present circumstances, our officers will not do so.

However, your communication is very timely. We are in the process of rebuilding our Ranger Dept. and a rewrite of its public safety operating policies and existing Park Rules and Rules will take place in the coming months.

Thank you for taking the time to alert us to the potential conflict for had we been unaware the rights of responsible gun owners might have abridged.

Jonathan R. Granville
Executive Director
MetroParks of Butler County
2051 Timberman Road

Hamilton, OH 45013

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Excellent response.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Agreed, and quite honestly, I was pleasantly surprised.

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If you respond back, please point out that while the rangers may not be enforcing this illegal rule, as long as it is posted it may prevent people who otherwise would have carried from doing so, leaving themselves defenseless
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
mreising

Post by mreising »

I believe I had Butler county for one of the counties I sent packets to, I just don't remember if it was the info packets for 9.68 or the law updates, or both. I do remember that I sent at least one packet to Butler Metro Parks Rangers.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

mreising wrote:I believe I had Butler county for one of the counties I sent packets to, I just don't remember if it was the info packets for 9.68 or the law updates, or both. I do remember that I sent at least one packet to Butler Metro Parks Rangers.
Actually, Butler County is the one I took off your hands this past fall to update them all on the changes in law, and I did send one to the Rangers.

I wonder what exactly he meant by "We are in the process of rebuilding our Ranger Dept." ?

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

tbrew85 wrote:I wonder what exactly he meant by "We are in the process of rebuilding our Ranger Dept." ?
If it's anything like the Cleveland sports franchises it's an ongoing process that restarts every three years but no matter how much time elapses the product is the same :)
docachna

Post by docachna »

djthomas wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:I wonder what exactly he meant by "We are in the process of rebuilding our Ranger Dept." ?
If it's anything like the Cleveland sports franchises it's an ongoing process that restarts every three years but no matter how much time elapses the product is the same :)

Hey, now !!! Weeden's gonna take the Browns to the Promised Land...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
jmboerger

Post by jmboerger »

I wonder what exactly he meant by "We are in the process of rebuilding our Ranger Dept." ?
The MetroParks of Butler County Ranger Department suffered staffing cuts before the passing of a recent park levy, but the department is now hiring officers to "rebuild" to levels that will better provide a safer environment for the park visitors.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ex-OFCC member 'color of law' just lately has been taking the Butler County Metroparks to task because they never really fixed their ORC 9.68 non-compliance problems. (Or, perhaps they backpedaled, I don't know for sure.) So, he put them on notice with some letters, and they just now changed their rules to fall in line with 9.68.

Man, I wish pre-emption had some enforcement "teeth".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:Ex-OFCC member 'color of law' just lately has been taking the Butler County Metroparks to task because they never really fixed their ORC 9.68 non-compliance problems. (Or, perhaps they backpedaled, I don't know for sure.) So, he put them on notice with some letters, and they just now changed their rules to fall in line with 9.68.

Man, I wish pre-emption had some enforcement "teeth".
Details here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... park-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor