List some positive or neutral OC stories

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rottman43055

List some positive or neutral OC stories

Post by rottman43055 »

So far this summer I've OCed into gas stations, fast food joints & walk different parts of my town every evening and it's been as it should be, left alone. The only place I have not OCed that I did all summer last years is wal mart, no real reason other than places with a bunch of security could turn very ugly if they came out in force & as I am now living more of a stress free life, I really do not want an encounter with some rum dum with no clue.

I consider no encounter a positive things.

So, lets share some places we have been OCing?

Positive feedback?

No feedback? (this is good also)
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
BobK

Re: List some positive or neutral OC stories

Post by BobK »

I guess my OC experiences are almost always positive in that they are utterly uneventful.

Here are a couple of them that I have previously posted: Branch manager in Huntington Bank and Upper Arlington police in Giant Eagle.

I also responded in the thread Any OC'ing in Kolumbus Area? about uneventful encounters with Columbus Police and Franklin County Deputy Sheriffs.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

BobK wrote:I guess my OC experiences are almost always positive in that they are utterly uneventful.

Here are a couple of them that I have previously posted: Branch manager in Huntington Bank and Upper Arlington police in Giant Eagle.

I also responded in the thread Any OC'ing in Kolumbus Area? about uneventful encounters with Columbus Police and Franklin County Deputy Sheriffs.
Thanks BobK for pulling those threads together.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

I've been OCing on the weekends when I felt like taking a stroll.
Mainly I just go to Walmart or Subway and I haven't had more than maybe 5 people look at my side.

A couple weeks ago though I went to Circle K and the cashier asked me what I was carrying.
Told him it was my HK USP and after he got done wiping the drool off his lip (j/k) he told me he was planning on going to the academy to become a cop.
I congratulated him on knowing that OC was legal and discussed what department he wanted to join etc..

This was the first time anyone ever spoke to me about open carrying while out and about. It was a very positive experience.
I think anytime someone notices me open carrying and doesn't freak out and place an MWAG call it's a positive experience.
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

I don't Oc to often but it's alway's a kid that notices. Last month or so in Walmart some 4-5 year old kid kept asking is mom why I had a gun. He said it at least ten times and she never responded to him about it.

The wife and I went fishing a week or so ago. We walk into the woods and there's a guy with his wife and two kids. One kid said to his mom why does that guy have a gun. She replied she didn't know. As we were walking away I hear the dad tell every one I'm probably a UC and they shoud leave. :? Wonder what they were up to?

The other day we stoped at a local ice cream shop that's not a CPZ like DQ's and we all got ice cream. The place was packed. We go outside to eat and as always some kid say's hey mom he's got gun on. She says to him yep when you get old enough you can wear one too. That was refreshing to hear.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't think about it much, nor does anybody say much of anything except in a friendly way.
I buy my cigarettes at the stop and rob Jeff Kirchner worked at. One day a week or two ago one of the cashiers asked me if I was a cop. That led to a discussion about OC vs CC, and the security that place uses, and Jeff, of course.
Another time I met a fellow OFCC member while pumping gas when he commented on my OCing.

Usually I get funny stories, like my grandson asking "Did you remember your voice recorder, Grandpa?", or "Why is your gun covered up, Grandpa"? or the rare occasions I CC. He always seems to say that when I'm at the counter or checkout, in front of a bunch of people.

Friday I was helping my brother split and move some firewood and his neighbor came by, needing some help herself. "You shooting wood or splitting it, Chuck?" she asked me. My brother explained I have a license, open carry is legal in Ohio, blah blah, nothing to worry about, etc. She said, "I ain't worried, I just like giving Chuck a hard time. I wish more people carried like that."

I'll say that living in the country helps with things like that. We used to carry .22 rifles on our bikes when we were kids and nobody thought anything about it back then. Now-a-days there'd be serious trouble if some ten or eleven year old went squirrel hunting by himself and the law found out about it.

Anyways, it's a lifestyle.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
theqbn

Post by theqbn »

I've OCed all over Greene county with no problems. I ran into another OCer in Cedarville, which made my day. I OCed at a political rally in Xenia and educated a few CCers about the legality of OC.
[ no longer active ]
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Three years ago in January, my wife and I were staying at Hocking Hills and were in the process of hiking the trail between Old Man's Cave and Ash Cave. It started off cold and I was wearing a heavy shirt under my old Army sweater and a down jacket. My Beretta 9000S-F was in a shoulder holster over the sweater. During our return, it had warmed up a bit (to the 20's anyway) and I took off the down jacket, exposing the Beretta to God and everyone. Several people looked at us as we passed them on the 4 mile return trip, but no one said a word, not even the ranger we passed as we got back to Old Man's Cave. All in all, a non-event.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I went to two dairy bars yesterday for my free Father's Day large ice cream cones with my family in tow. Of course the Javelin got a lot of attention, but nobody seemed to give my IWB holstered Taurus a second glance or care about it. I guess I didn't look too threatening. My white t-shirt made it prominent so it wasn't hidden at all.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
nachtrab

Post by nachtrab »

i've never had a bad OC encounter. if friends, aquaintances or strangers i am dealing with even notice the sidearm, there are usually some comments or questions. sometimes comical and sometimes educational. general public strangers rarely seem to notice. i've had two very slight brushes with law inforcement.

upon entering a tractor supply while OC, i hear the 16 yr old cashier yell for someone to "call 44 please". i could sense the excitement and slight panic in her voice. i finished my futile search for a choke cable and left expecting law enforcement soon. as i pulled out of the parking lot, a leo turns behind to follow from a side road. just a short way down the road i stop at a fuel station for carryout supplies. the leo pulls in watches me go about my business from his cruiser and thens pulls away.

i live in a fairly rural area, but there are some city type folk around. while walking my dog down the street a car passes and stops in the road just ahead. they turn around in a drive and head back my way very slowly, staring. i don't think too much of it because my dog is a conversation starter and if not such a big baby could be a deadly weapon himself. this walk route takes us to the cemetary for him to get some hose water. i notice a cruiser stop at the cemetary entrance, notice us and pull in. as he passes i wave. he waves back, finishes the cemetary block and continues on his way.

both times a leo responded to a call, observed a law abiding citizen acting in a nonthreating way and continued on. this forum is ripe with negative OC/leo stories. this is a good topic to remind all that there are knowledgable and professional leos.
nachtrab
NERES

Post by NERES »

I usually do not open carry with the exception of when I am pumping gas since while in the truck I keep the holstered gun uncovered by garments for quick access and am not in the mood to cover it while out of the truck. Once a woman approached me asking for directions and I tried to help her. She didn't notice (or at least didn't say anything about it) the gun on my hip.

I don't shop at the mini-marts but a few days ago the receipt printer was broken. I entered the mini-mart OC to request a receipt and no one said anything.

I OC around my yard while doing yard chores and sometimes the neighbors approach to chat. None of them appeared to notice my gun. I carry IWB so it may not be obvious at a casual glance that it is a gun.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

On a previous job, I open carried whenever the situation so required. I went into a lot of sketchy places looking for people. I always kept my inside of the wrist on the revolver grip. as I was always afraid some drunk or smart apple would grab the gun. I was fortunate that no one ever made a grab as we were not taught any retention techniques. I modified the baton retention techniques for retention of the weapon.
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

I OC my Beretta around the yard whenever I mow it or do work outside. The neighbor to my left is a wonderfully friendly older gal, and I've had many conversations with her over the fence without her ever batting an eye about it. In fact, she's even trying to introduce me to her niece :lol: . And the neighbor to my right went through the CHL course with me, so he doesn't have a problem with it.

While I'm comfortable OC'ing at home, I'm still working up the nerve to do it elsewhere. I'm sure I'll report back once I do.
farblue

Post by farblue »

Most of my open carry is around the house and neighborhood. Close to / after dark, if I am out walking the dogs, I'll OC for ease of access.

I live in a township, and my little neighborhood is at the junction of two townships and the city. I've got a county judge as a neighbor, and we get frequent patrols from all three police departments. Unless they've never looked closely, I'm pretty sure at least one or two of the officers out on patrol have seen my gun (along with most of my neighbors), and so far it's never been an issue at all.

Or maybe they just figure someone out walking with pugs couldn't be a threat to anyone. :mrgreen:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I don't OC regularly but when I do I haven't had any issue. When I OCed after the big hurricane wind fiasco everyone calmed their ignorant selves right down when I went to the shop n rob/gas station after three days of no power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA