Open Carry with CCW

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

parbreaker

Re: Open Carry with CCW

Post by parbreaker »

carmen fovozzo wrote:My wife just took her class and we were talking about some of the things the instructor said..
She misinterpreted 3 very common things for CC...I corrected her....There is no way the instructor gave the wrong info...
I believe this goes on quite a bit with people that attend class and can't recall all the info that is thrown at you in the 10 hour class...
I think this is very common. People in school can go over material for 4 weeks off and on and still miss a couple of questions on a test.... with the CHL course you have ten hours of instruction and if you don't remember something right for your "real life test" it could land you in jail. Hardly anyone will remember everything from one course if they don't do some research on their own.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
thewatchman

Post by thewatchman »

Since my first post, I have spoken with the Assistant Prosecutor for Franklin County who has also taught in OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy - better known to some as police academy). He assures me that open carry is good to go for all liberties of conceal carry. I would say more but not sure it is in the best interest of national security if you know what I mean.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Respectfully, we don't need his opinion to tell us it's legal. You dont give up your right to walk or ride a bicycle when you get a drivers license. To assume you would give up OC when you obtain a CHL is absurd.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

FlyinCedar wrote: Respectfully, we don't need his opinion to tell us it's legal. You dont give up your right to walk or ride a bicycle when you get a drivers license. To assume you would give up OC when you obtain a CHL is absurd.
Your point may be well taken that we don't need the prosecutor's opinion with regard to what is legal. However, it is indeed encouraging to learn that:
1) a Franklin country prosecutor is well aware that open carry is legal (and thus won't be peremptorily challenged), and
2) that, with any luck at all, this may be being taught at the OPOTA.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GhostOfJefferson

Post by GhostOfJefferson »

TunnelRat wrote:
FlyinCedar wrote: Respectfully, we don't need his opinion to tell us it's legal. You dont give up your right to walk or ride a bicycle when you get a drivers license. To assume you would give up OC when you obtain a CHL is absurd.
Your point may be well taken that we don't need the prosecutor's opinion with regard to what is legal. However, it is indeed encouraging to learn that:
1) a Franklin country prosecutor is well aware that open carry is legal (and thus won't be peremptorily challenged), and
I'd even add to your point number 1 a bit, and note that not only is he well aware of the legality of open carry, but he goes so far as to make the effort to insert such language directly into the pamphlet for Concealed Carry, so that anybody who reads it can see it right there in no uncertain terms.
"Oh, Bother," said Pooh, as he slapped in a new magazine and jacked the slide of his 1911A1.
MommaBear

Post by MommaBear »

While Roger's and my personalities would probably clash if we spent much time talking, his class is EXCEPTIONAL! The only complaint I had was that there were so many "what if" questions from students that we dragged on for at least an extra hour. Mr. Polk NEVER states that open carry is not allowed after receiving a CCW permit, just his opinion of it and he made it VERY clear that it was just his opinion... and perhaps that of the Medina Co. sheriff in attendance but the exact conversation escapes me. It just floors me, all the negative comments against Mr. Polk from people who have never taken his class or even talked to the man! I was in the Jan 2012 class that put his number of students over 2000. If he were doing badly, he would never have reached that number of students. I highly reccommend that anyone within an hour drive of the Medina area looking to take the class for CCW, check his out!
WooGun

Post by WooGun »

Two thumbs up for Roger Polk from me. I took his class in the fall / winter of 2010 and would highly recommend him to anyone considering a class. He is very thorough and has law enforcement guests that are part of the class. I might go back some time for a refresher even though it is not required.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Not to be construed as an opinion, but are there any more 1 post posters who wish to compliment Mr. Polk? :? :?:

P.S. - BB62 has an awesome class! :mrgreen:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

GhostOfJefferson wrote:
TunnelRat wrote:
I'd even add to your point number 1 a bit, and note that not only is he well aware of the legality of open carry, but he goes so far as to make the effort to insert such language directly into the pamphlet for Concealed Carry, so that anybody who reads it can see it right there in no uncertain terms.
The Franklin County Prosecutor's Office does not create the pamphlet; the Ohio Attorney General's Office does. And mention of open carry is scant:
Open Carry
Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.
You'll look long and hard before you find an Ohio law enforcement agency which officially encourages open carry.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
7V8

Post by 7V8 »

Werz wrote: And mention of open carry is scant:
Open Carry
Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.
Short and sweet is all that's necessary. Let 'em get going and they'll eventually begin to include the inevitable legal-speak disclaimers. :mrgreen:
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

The Instructor should have his credentials pulled for spouting that erroneous garbage.
fireball

Post by fireball »

I have had my license from the first they were issued. Not from Roger. My wife took Rogers class and I attended as a guest. V.ery good class. I looked through her notes an on the subject of OC me mentioned that he OC around his property and that OC without a CHL is illegal in a car. I went to another of his classes with the wife of my neighbor and recall hearing about the same thing.

As has been said there is a lot to learn in a long class and people hearing some of these things may not get it quite right.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

fireball wrote:... that OC without a CHL is illegal in a car. I went to another of his classes with the wife of my neighbor and recall hearing about the same thing.
Since you resurrected an old thread, I'll roll with it ...

Are you implying that assertion is true or false?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
mec92

Post by mec92 »

To all those who like to bash Roger Polk and try to slay his reputation,

Roger cares enough about anyone to offer a class to get your CCW without making a dime on it. All of the money you pay is going for the materials required for you to get your CCW. He is reputable and a certified instructor. Its aggravating to look him up and see this foolish talk about him. Talk that started from one person who wasn't paying attention in his class about open carry, then immediately coming to forums and stirring the pot. aside from that is the people who will jump on board and instantly speak of revoking his instructors license all based one one person who doesn't pay attention. Shame on you.

Aside from the negativity, if anyone is looking into getting there CCW, I would highly recommend Roger. He goes over everything in great detail and will not move on until everyone is on the same page and understanding. Any amount of help will be provided, from the law itself, to the handling of your firearm. He actually works in accordance to Buckeye Firearms to add, change, and remove the stupid laws. He will teach you the law and is very opinionated. All he is doing is trying to help. But at the end of the day, everyone has opinions and you need to think for yourself to find what works best for you. If you pay attention, I promise you will learn a lot and have a good time.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions. I apologize if I offended anyone, as that is the last thing I want to do. I just hope we can not be so hasty to jump into things without knowing the facts. Take care all and protect your family and your rights! :D
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

BB62 wrote:Not to be construed as an opinion, but are there any more 1 post posters who wish to compliment Mr. Polk?
Apparently... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.