Open Carry with CCW

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry with CCW

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Holy invisible posts! Did something require the last post to vanish? Its showing this necro thread with a new post as of today by user inspiredsports but when I click to read its shows only old ones...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Hmmm, don't know what happened. I thought I approved it once, but then it showed up for approval again. It should be there now. (I hope!)
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Open carry covers inadvertent exposing of a Concealed OWB handgun. It also covers people that just plain do not wish to cover or actually don't want to get a license that some feel is unnecessary. Opinions vary.

Me I feel it is up to anyone's preference. To discourage it only hurts the general notion of liberty and rights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
inspiredsports

Post by inspiredsports »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Open carry covers inadvertent exposing of a Concealed OWB handgun. It also covers people that just plain do not wish to cover or actually don't want to get a license that some feel is unnecessary. Opinions vary.

Me I feel it is up to anyone's preference. To discourage it only hurts the general notion of liberty and rights.
I agree 100% that we have the right to open carry and absolutely do not need a piece of paper to verify it.

I just feel it's an even better defensive posture to not show a possible bad guy your hand.
Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. – Anonymous
blah

Post by blah »

I feel like I've seen this movie before :lol:
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
blah

Post by blah »

inspiredsports wrote: I just feel it's an even better defensive posture to not show a possible bad guy your hand.
All sarcasm aside... there are arguments both for and against this statement. In the end it's a matter of personal preference. Carry however you choose, open or concealed, and exercise your 2nd amendment right. That's all that matters!
~ Glen

dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Poop!
inspiredsports

Post by inspiredsports »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:Image
I've owned numerous firearms and target practiced and open carried years on my own acreage, but never off of my own property.

I live in Ohio and concealed carry is new to me, so that's what drew me here to learn more (it is OhioCCWForums, right ???)

Seeing the same questions over an over will probably be a theme as I believe concealed carry is just gaining traction across the nation so you "old timers" may just have to grin and bear it.

I simply have too much on my mind to have my weapon hanging out in the open where you have to be vigilant 100% of the time. I guess if I try to put myself in the place of the bad guy, the guy open carrying may cause me to change my mind, or he may make me his PRIMARY TARGET. CC lessens the focus and energy required to avoid the latter.

Your demeanor and mileage may vary.
Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. – Anonymous
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Why would you want to be a sheep and NOT be vigilant 100% of the time, especially if you are carrying, concealed or not?

State of mind to avoid being a victim most definitely includes being well aware of your surroundings. That should not change at all, armed or not, concealed or open!
inspiredsports

Post by inspiredsports »

medmandan wrote:Why would you want to be a sheep and NOT be vigilant 100% of the time, especially if you are carrying, concealed or not?

State of mind to avoid being a victim most definitely includes being well aware of your surroundings. That should not change at all, armed or not, concealed or open!
Because as my last line implies, not everyone in this world is wired exactly like you are.

Before age 30, with hormones raging and temporal lobes not fully formed I probably would have been more inclined to open carry in public places.

Now I CC as I sometimes have to travel to/through various questionable areas and sometimes have valuable assets. My goal is not to attract attention, but to be prepared if I happen to.
blah

Post by blah »

inspiredsports wrote:
medmandan wrote:Why would you want to be a sheep and NOT be vigilant 100% of the time, especially if you are carrying, concealed or not?

Because as my last line implies, not everyone in this world is wired exactly like you are.

Before age 30, with hormones raging and temporal lobes not fully formed I probably would have been more inclined to open carry in public places.

Now I CC as I sometimes have to travel to/through various questionable areas and sometimes have valuable assets. My goal is not to attract attention, but to be prepared if I happen to.
Good for your for exercising your 2nd amendment rights! Now, please don't disrespect others' methods of exercising theirs. You have your way, other people have their way. Can't you just leave it at that?
~ Glen

inspiredsports

Post by inspiredsports »

blah wrote:
inspiredsports wrote:

Good for your for exercising your 2nd amendment rights! Now, please don't disrespect others' methods of exercising theirs. You have your way, other people have their way. Can't you just leave it at that?

Now I'm really confused. Where did you pick up disrespect in the massive body of the 9 posts I've posted?
blah

Post by blah »

inspiredsports wrote: Before age 30, with hormones raging and temporal lobes not fully formed I probably would have been more inclined to open carry in public places.
Maybe I misinterpreted this. If I did I apologize. To me this seems to suggest that open carry is linked to immaturity.

But I'm also done talking about this subject. As I've said, I've seen this movie and this debate never goes well.

Carry (your firearm) on!
~ Glen

inspiredsports

Post by inspiredsports »

I agree and will move on with this being my last post to this thread.

We're all essentially on the same page here.

A point of agreement for most neurologists is that the temporal lobes are fully formed in females at age 25 and males at 30. I'm just saying I view things differently now at 55 (with 4 children of my own aged 17-23) :D .
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

My wife just took her class and we were talking about some of the things the instructor said..
She misinterpreted 3 very common things for CC...I corrected her....There is no way the instructor gave the wrong info...
I believe this goes on quite a bit with people that attend class and can't recall all the info that is thrown at you in the 10 hour class...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens