Open Carry with CCW

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Shockvolt

Open Carry with CCW

Post by Shockvolt »

A friend of mine just received his CCW in Copley (instructor's name eludes me but he has his own range). His instructor informed the entire class that having a CCW means it is illegal to Open Carry in the state of Ohio. I told him that is nonsense but then started to wonder myself.
For the record, as of today, what is the law? Open Carry for all or just those without a CCW?
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Open Carry with CCW

Post by sabalo »

The instructor was totally incorrect. Open carry has nothing to with having a CHL. This instructor needs to be informed he is passing on bad information and change his curriculum to reflect REALITY. Maybe asking for part of the class fees be returned as he did not perform his job to normal standards. What a doof.
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Shockvolt

Post by Shockvolt »

I was certain that anyone could OC. I though having a CCW has nothing to do with OC and I've OCed here in Canton several times. I'll have to get his instructor's name.
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Please supply the instructor's contact information. Perhaps a "private message" or "PM" would be best (to any moderator, coordinator, or even me - I'll get it to the right folks). That way, we can straighten this guy out before he misinforms anyone else.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
*Mrs. Smith*

Post by *Mrs. Smith* »

The amount of disinformation that is spread on this particular subject is ridiculous, and I cant help but wonder if it is being spread intentionally.
Shockvolt

Post by Shockvolt »

My friend thinks it is possible that he may have misquoted the instructor but he definately has it in his notes that it is illegal to OC after receiving a CCW. The instructor is Roger Polk -(phone number deleted per TOS - Jake) in Wadsworth.

Please review the TOS found here.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mreising

Post by mreising »

{self moderated-unprofessional comment}
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Fonejack54

Post by Fonejack54 »

I took the course from Roger Polk in 2004. He gives great instruction and has a Norton police officer as an assistant. I don't recall OC even being mentioned in the class. He charges $39 because he just wants everyone to have a license and he uses the range behind his house so overhead is low. He's an ex marine and an all around great guy. I think some facts had better be verified before peoples reputations are questioned.
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Fonejack54 wrote:I took the course from Roger Polk in 2004. He gives great instruction and has a Norton police officer as an assistant. I don't recall OC even being mentioned in the class. He charges $39 because he just wants everyone to have a license and he uses the range behind his house so overhead is low. He's an ex marine and an all around great guy. I think some facts had better be verified before peoples reputations are questioned.
In 2004, most people were not aware that OC was legal.
Also that was prior to statewide preemption, and OC may have been illegal due to local laws nearly anywhere.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
lunchboxfett

Post by lunchboxfett »

I took his course a year ago and I don't recall him stating that OC was illegal after you get your CCW.
The Medina county sheriff that was there did tell us all how stupid it was, but not illegal.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Did he receive a copy of the concealed carry handbook issued by the Attorney General's office which state, on page 18, that " Ohio's concealed carry laws do not regulate open carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio".
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shockvolt

Post by Shockvolt »

Don't get me wrong, my friend has nothing but praise for Roger Polk and his class and I am in no way trying to discredit him. Maybe there should be more clarity on the OC subject in CCW classes. I certainly agree that it does appear that misinformation on the OC laws is rampant. Maybe the comments from LEOs add to the confusion.
I don't know what materials he received from the class. He did say that Roger was a great instructor and kept it very interesting.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Have you gotten the feeling that everything your instructor said may have been crap? And to top it off, you paid for it!
If this is an NRA certified instructor he should be reported and de-certfied.
HancockCountyHaL
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:Have you gotten the feeling that everything your instructor said may have been crap? And to top it off, you paid for it!
Well, even if this instructor gave out bad information relative to the law, the NRA will not take any action against him because that content is not part of their class. The NRA does NOT certify "Ohio CHL Instructors." Rather, they certify "NRA Basic Pistol Course Instructors" and often recommend that the law part is handled by a different person (preferrably an attorney or LEO).
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
mreising

Post by mreising »

charben wrote:
HancockCountyHAl wrote:Have you gotten the feeling that everything your instructor said may have been crap? And to top it off, you paid for it!
Well, even if this instructor gave out bad information relative to the law, the NRA will not take any action against him because that content is not part of their class. The NRA does NOT certify "Ohio CHL Instructors." Rather, they certify "NRA Basic Pistol Course Instructors" and often recommend that the law part is handled by a different person (preferrably an attorney or LEO).
Thanks Chris, I was going to point that out also. Too many people think they are certified CCW instructors, and as you point out, that is not a certification available from the NRA.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.