Northwood LEO breaks OC'ers D/L in half

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

If this incident really did play out like it's written above then someone needs to be fired. Telling a citizen that you'll shoot them because of their appearance and breaking their ID in two is just beyond unacceptable. This goes well beyond the harassment for OC.
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

In the long list of Ohio laws you cited, I'm sure you can dig one up for death threats like the officer made against you.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Sorry for the delay, I got busy.

I've written and posted a story with some additional information, including a rather unproductive conversation I had with the Northwood chief of police.

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4026/83/

Once again, I ask that everyone please refrain from contacting Northwood officials. Not yet, anyway. :twisted:
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

Nice article Dan.

Just like with Willowick, I am ready if needed, and I am a whole lot closer to Northwood than Willowick. If I can help, let me know.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

Ditto ready and waiting. In some ways this is worse than the Willowick incident. Here we have death threats in front of a child and an officer destroying public property.

Edit just read the article:

AND we have a police chief totally ignorant of the law and of Ohio's Constitution. The mind boggles. Is Northwood PD aware that the earth is round yet?
Last edited by Teknorat on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Just read Daniel's article & am stunned a Chief was un informed of the law.

Sounds to me its open season on OC'ers. I wonder how long before one is killed.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Sounds like there is a epidemic of headus upus rectomus in the northern counties LEO community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Sounds like the Chief really stepped on his equipment Daniel, I sincerely hope you taped that conversation.

What utter and complete morons (ill informed LEO and agencies).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

I will do my part and wait for OFCC to decide what is best.

(as much as I hate to keep my mouth shut, I will!) :oops:
Guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do!
Proud OFCC Member
Proud USCCA Member
Proud NRA member
Proud American!
Sticks and stones may break my bones but Sabalo's beatings excite me!
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Unbelievable! When did LAWenforcement change to opinion enforcement?
Poop!
Jerry B.

Post by Jerry B. »

Daniel wrote:Sorry for the delay, I got busy.

I've written and posted a story with some additional information, including a rather unproductive conversation I had with the Northwood chief of police.

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4026/83/

Once again, I ask that everyone please refrain from contacting Northwood officials. Not yet, anyway. :twisted:
This is the second incident in a week. I do not open carry (I have not mustered up enough courage yet to do so) but nonetheless I do have a CCW and am armed all the time so I am not going to tak any chances rolling the dice anymore waiting for something to happen or thinking this could not possibly happen to me. I am going out and getting my digital voice recorder and making it a very important priorty. Reading these incidents sure makes me think that if you carry a gun (concealed or not) that a digital voice recorder goes hand in hand with your carry piece. In fact, I think that the DVR is just as important to have on you as your bullets for your gun. You cannot have one without the other.

NRA member.
CCW holder and staunch supporter of 2nd amendment rights.
Glock G19 W/Crimson Trace Laser Grips
SIG SAUER P229 Elite Stainless .40 cal
Glock G21SF 45ACP
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

From your friends at the ACLU ACLU of Ohio Incredulous Over Northwood Police's Harassment And the outcomeCity agrees to pay damages, apologize to Ohio teen for confiscating T-shirtSeems there may be a history of officer harassment against exercising constitutional rights in Northwood.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

color of law wrote: [Deleted: Please do not discussing the Moderator's activities; if you have a problem, use the PM function directly -- TR]
From this point on I will only lurk and refrain from commenting from this point on.
Issue has been resolved.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

One of the officers has also been alleged to say that there is a statewide ban on Insane Clown Posse shirts and that Northwood police were going to start enforcing the ban. Indeed, Detective Sgt. Al Williams was quoted in the Toledo Blade as saying that, "This is not freedom of speech" and "You can't be wearing that out in public."
Boy, the ACLU really has their Constitutional priorities, don't they? :roll:
The British are going! The British are going!
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

muxtech wrote:It sounds like the Northwood PD are uncomfortable using computers as well. :shock: What the heck is wrong with these cops? I'm going to shut up and wait for this guy to be FIRED for menacing law abiding citizens.

Threatening to "pop" him? Yeaaah that's ethical.

Isn't it interesting this was instigated by another ODO.
Northwood isn't much interested in ethics or professionalism in their officers. That's why they've been sued more times than I can count.

They're a "fast and loose" department in a "fast and loose" city.

Half the department seem to pride themselves on being jerks. Sue them.