Northwood LEO breaks OC'ers D/L in half

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

muxtech wrote:
GroundChuk wrote:Hate to say it, but I don't think this will go anywhere.
I'll take that bet. I hope Northwood has ample parking.
I've got plenty of rope :shock: :wink:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Holiday

Post by Mr. Holiday »

Maybe you can send this article to the Chief as well. Maybe He'll believe a "big city newspaper".

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... ml?sid=101
Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels
NRA Life Member
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

This abuse has to stop. I'm going to get me a voice recorder, and carry it.
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

Beekeeper wrote:This abuse has to stop. I'm going to get me a voice recorder, and carry it.
Ditto I bought one today.
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

This is getting ridiculous. Officers are trained to take charge of situations which does make them somewhat aggressive. But flaunting the law is terrible.
I am glad there are orig. like this one.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

I noticed in the Columbus dispatch link a sgt says if your gun is causeing panic you may be charged.

I really hope they OAG does step in & notify LE across the board.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

If your open display of a firearm is causing panic, you could be charged with inducing panic, Weiner said.
I'd like to see just one charge of inducing panic on a peaceful law abiding OC'er to see this get to court and get the slapping it deserves.
2917.31 Inducing panic.
(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(1) Initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false;

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.
1 = making a false report, such as shouting fire in a theatre. Nope, that won't work.
2 = Making a threat. Pistol in holster, not causing any issue. Nope, that won't fit...
3 = Comitting an offense with reckless disregard..etc... I could see this, if the OC'er was waving his pistol around and acting like a fool. But it says "Serious public inconvenience or alarm". Again, we're talking a legally carried pistol, holstered. Serious public inconvenience or alarm? Nope, not there either, or else cops would have to carry concealed for fear of panicking the sheeple!
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

rottman43055 wrote:I noticed in the Columbus dispatch link a sgt says if your gun is causing panic you may be charged.
Why are off duty LEO's always the ones panicking and calling in the goons? We the people don't seem as panic prone.
The British are going! The British are going!
WBL_2006

Post by WBL_2006 »

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.
I could see this one being the "hamartia" of an open carrier. All it could take would be for a "group" of people to say they were "worried" or "scared" or "felt like he might go nuts and start shooting" and that would probably be enough to seal the deal.

Not saying it is likely to happen, but I can see how this portion could be trouble.
Why are off duty LEO's always the ones panicking and calling in the goons?
I have no problem with an off duty LEO calling it in or even asking a few questions. It is their job. But being unprofessional, mis-informed, and a general bung-hole is crossing the line in most cases.

WBL
Michael

Post by Michael »

WBL_2006 wrote:I have no problem with an off duty LEO calling it in...
You have no problem calling the police when there is no suspicion or evidence that a crime has been committed? :roll:
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

muxtech wrote:
GroundChuk wrote:Hate to say it, but I don't think this will go anywhere.
I'll take that bet. I hope Northwood has ample parking.
I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt any policy change will be effected from anything short of a court proceeding. I highly doubt they will listen to reason under any other circumstances.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Michael wrote:
WBL_2006 wrote:I have no problem with an off duty LEO calling it in...
You have no problem calling the police when there is no suspicion or evidence that a crime has been committed? :roll:
Not all people who have a pistola in their hand or in a holster are taking daughters for ice cream or simply "chillin" - inasmuch as we all think it is the norm, we have ALOT of perspectives to soften up.

The severity of panic is obviously an individual reaction and while nobody should have a problem with a call being made (power to the people), that is where the LEO have to "be different" - beginning with the dispatcher - they need to do a better job of ascertaining the situation.

I do agree that it is abhorrent that there could be a real crime being committed and this silliness is being attended to because 1) some folks dont know their laws or 2) us common folks shouldnt be carrying a firearm like that, after all, we had to the academy to be able to carry one.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
CableGuy

Post by CableGuy »

Where is this Northwood? I mapquested it seen 3 different spots, 2 up north, one in Wood Conty ouside Toledo and one in Logan County just north of Bellfountaine, the other in Lawernce Co over by West Virginia border... and Willowick showing that its north east of Cleveland, also up at the north end of the state? Sorry, if I missed it....curious

If I am to assume correctly and go with the Toldeo near Oregon? OK>>> whats up with those people up there... And of course Cleveland....ok you Browns fans, no flames!

Am I correct? Both North end of state?
Favorite recent Quote:
"As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters
fisher

Post by fisher »

Mr. Holiday wrote:Maybe you can send this article to the Chief as well. Maybe He'll believe a "big city newspaper".

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... ml?sid=101
How about this little article from Police Chiefs Magazine :

http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine ... _id=122005

Because it is legal in most states to carry a handgun if properly licensed, a report that an individual possesses a handgun, without any additional information suggesting criminal activity, might not create reasonable suspicion that a crime is being or will be committed.1 Where simply carrying a handgun is not in itself illegal and does not constitute probable cause to arrest,2 it follows that carrying a handgun, in and of itself, does not furnish reasonable suspicion justifying a Terry stop.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WBL_2006

Post by WBL_2006 »

You have no problem calling the police when there is no suspicion or evidence that a crime has been committed?
Nope. If it is indeed an officer, it is part of their job.

If it is an everyday "Joe" or "Jane", they have the right also. It is then the responsibility of LE to respond accordingly. As a result of some unfortunate events lately, maybe now the LE folks will respond in a more civil manner if at all. (Wishful thinking, I know).

WBL