"Open Carry Walk" in Urbana, Ohio on April 19th.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Timmy44221

Post by Timmy44221 »

Wow, that seemed to go realy well. I realy like the fact they you even had a good article in a newspaper.

To me this is a perfect example of how to make the public aware of our rights, and that there is nothing to fear.

Great job!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Blog w/ more pics:

http://patriotsdaywalk.blogspot.com/

Patriots' Day Open Carry Walk

A Celebration of Freedom!

The 1st Annual Patriots' Day Walk was held on April 19th, 2008 in Urbana, Ohio. This event was a celebration of freedom to commemorate the 233rd anniversary of "The shot heard round the world". On April 18th, 1775 Governor Gage ordered the redcoats to march into towns and seize and destroy all munitions. On April 19th, 1775 the first shots were fired that would be the beginning of our countries fight for Independence and would insure our rights to bear arms.

This local event was organized to exercise our rights and to bring awareness to the community of the legality of "open carry." The walk was held in downtown Urbana and the event participants walked about 3 miles of the downtown area. There were many people driving by and staring and a few people even pulled over and asked about the event. A number of informational flyers were handed out to all who asked about the event. All in all it was a very positive experience. The weather couldn't have cooperated any better and law enforcement was friendly and smiled when driving by. One well wisher came by at the gathering point to wish us well but was unable to attend.

As we headed toward the square at the center of town we came upon an elderly gentleman who was there in support but was unable to march. He stood at that corner the entire time the group marched. He even handed out flyers to people who approached him with questions about the event. This gentleman was a Korean War Vet and we were deeply touched that he came and supported us the best way he could.

We made a stop at The Depot, a local coffee shop for a restroom break and to fuel up on water and coffee. The workers were very friendly and welcoming. A few customers seemed a bit startled but there was no major commotion. One woman entered The Depot while everyone was inside and said out loud, "Oh no, I think I'll leave," and quickly exited the parking lot. No other negative comments were made.

After gathering for a group picture in front (several members had joined in after the walk began) we headed back up Miami Street. As we rounded the corner and headed up North main St. a truck pulled over and asked what we were doing. It was explained what the event was about and the feedback was very positive. We ended the walk with a stop at The Family Table restaurant before parting ways. The waitress who greeted us as we entered was very friendly and was eager to hear all about the event. While we were there one gentleman approached us and said he was interested in the march but was a little unsure so he watched us march. He sat with us and discussed his confusion on some of the laws. After a lengthy discussion he assured us he would join us during next year's event. Also, during our meal we noticed one guy leave the establishment and return with a pistol strapped on in support. Pretty cool.

We would like to thank Tom Horch and Michael Craft for helping organize this year's event. There were participants from several areas of Ohio. We would like to acknowledge all participants for making this event a success. From Springfield we had Randy, Amber and Daniel, and Rob & his two sons. From Cincinnati we had Jeff, from Englewood we had Kent (Lthrnck), Alan & Lana came from Oxford, and Paul from Columbus. Tom Horch brought along his daughter Christy and his wife Aileen videotaped and photographed the event. I am sorry I didn't catch the old timer's name on the corner but a very special thanks to him.

We would also like to thank the city of Urbana, the Urbana Police Department, the dispatcher who surely had to field a few calls from startled passers-by, The Depot, and the Family Table restaurant for welcoming us warmly and those who stopped to share their support.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Excellent!!!
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

Good Job! I enjoyed the article and blog as well! From the pictures, it looked like a nice day for a walk. It was nice until about 2pm here in NW Ohio... then it was gloomy the rest of the weekend.
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
sts47

Post by sts47 »

Wonderful!!!

Glad the weather worked out.

I'm sad though that with my schedule doesn't allow me to go to any of these functions. =(
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Michael wrote:[...] We would also like to thank the city of Urbana, the Urbana Police Department, the dispatcher who surely had to field a few calls from startled passers-by, The Depot, and the Family Table restaurant for welcoming us warmly and those who stopped to share their support.
I was pleasantly surprised to read how well received the walk was. It makes me wonder how many calls the dispatcher got, but it doesn't even seem that you ruffled any feathers in Urbana at all.

I'm sure things would become more eventful if these walks were to happen closer to Columbus.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
benny429

Post by benny429 »

Did the reporter (Breanne) who wrote the article for the Urbana paper come to the event?

I saw her at a gunshow awhile back.
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

I was at the walk, we are not sure but we think at lest one couple called the police on us. When we were finishing up at "The Depot" there was a couple in the parking lot.

The lady was giving us a serious look over and the man was on the cell phone, he was also watching us real close..

I think some of us waved and we just kept going..
Michael

Post by Michael »

haspelbein wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to read how well received the walk was. It makes me wonder how many calls the dispatcher got, but it doesn't even seem that you ruffled any feathers in Urbana at all.
We didn't know what to expect. Would we be hassled by the police? Would people be screaming at the sight of us? Would a cop be shadowing us the entire time? Thankfully none of that happened. In retrospect it doesn't surprise me... the Champaign County SO is comprised of good guys. And from what I've heard, the Urbana PD is a good outfit.
haspelbein wrote:I'm sure things would become more eventful if these walks were to happen closer to Columbus.
I've been in contact with someone who wants to do an OC walk in Cleveland. I'll definitely participate if it happens.
benny429 wrote:Did the reporter (Breanne) who wrote the article for the Urbana paper come to the event?
She couldn't make it. But according to Tom, she's pro-CCW (even has her license!), and was very supportive of our walk.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Oh, and see the guy wearing the wolf shirt in the pics (Page 2)? He was OC'ing a S&W .500. 8)
H&K45USPc

Post by H&K45USPc »

That's awesome it went so smoothly with no problems.... good job guys!!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives only moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Wow....I missed this whole thread...until now.

Nice job!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael

Re: "Open Carry Walk" in Urbana, Ohio on April 19th.

Post by Michael »

Get ready for the 2nd Annual Patriots' Day Walk!

When: Saturday April 18th

Where: Downtown Urbana, Ohio.

Why: To celebrate freedom and exercise the right to keep and bear arms.

Saturday April 18th is the anniversary of Paul Revere's and William Dawes' ride, and Sunday April 19th (Patriots' Day) is the 234th anniversary of the "shot heard 'round the world" when American patriots stood up against the British army at the battles of Lexington and Concord and fought our initial fight for liberty and independence.

The British army was under orders from General Thomas Gage to confiscate arms and munitions. The Minutemen and Colonial Militia were prepared to give it to them, just not in the way they expected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of ... nd_Concord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minutemen_(militia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Last year's "open carry" walk was fun and inspiring and will be expanded this year with the inclusion of long guns. All long guns will be inspected prior to walk and must be unloaded with detachable magazines removed and be equipped with open bolt / open chamber indicator flags. A flag will be supplied to anyone who needs it. A carry strap or sling is highly recommended. Long gun muzzle must be pointed straight up or straight down at all times. NO MUZZLE WAIVING… PERIOD!! And unless your life is threatened, your handgun must remain holstered at all times.

Anyone who wishes to walk with us is welcome. Some will walk with us in solidarity unarmed. You do not need a firearm to walk.

Last year's walk:

http://www.patriotsdaywalk.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We will meet behind the Urbana Municipal Building in the lot adjacent to the Fire and Police departments Between 10:00 and 10:30 AM, Saturday April 18th. The walk will take place in the downtown area and last for approximately 1 to 1½ hours.

After the walk is completed we will likely meet somewhere to eat lunch. Depending on the weather, a get-together may occur after lunch for those who wish to shoot and socialize.

See you there!

Michael
rmoreaux1

Post by rmoreaux1 »

Hey, you can count me in. I think we should have more of these all over Ohio, I live in piqua which is just a 25 minute drive away. I am going to open carry here. Alot of my friends have their CHL and so do I but my handgun is always showing when I ride my motorcycle. I first tried to always make sure it is hidden when I ride, but the wind always make my shirt ride up revealing my handgun, but I am to the point that I do not want to always conceal it. I fly r/c airplanes with a retired police chief here in piqua, and we were talking about CHL and he sounds like he either doesn't know that open carry is legal, or he just knows that other cops don't know. He stated that there was an incident where someone got in a car crash and a CHL holder stopped and helped direct traffic until police arrived and his gun flashed and someone freaked and called the police because he had a gun and he was either ticketed or arrested. I cannot remember for sure since it was over a year ago since then. I am going to have a talk with him the next time I see him and ask him if he knows if the Piqua PD knows the law on open carry.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Look forward to seeing you there, rmoreaux1!

Michael