Open Carry after GRPC

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

feltoosj

Open Carry after GRPC

Post by feltoosj »

So jeep45238 and I went to the Second Amendment Foundation's Gun Rights Policy Conference today where jeep45238 gave a nice speech about Students for Concealed Carry on Campus and our upcoming empty holster protest. I decided, since I was gonna be in a room filled with like-minded individuals, that I would give OC a try. Naturally, no one cared, not even the folks at the Drawbridge Inn. Well afterwards, jeep and I were heading back to his car so he could drop me off at my car about 15 mins. away when he asked if I was hungry. I was, as was he, so I proposed we hit up a McDonalds and just hell with it, I would continue OCing. jeep thought it a good idea and took his sports coat off thus revealing his CZ .40 .

So what happened after a pair of armed, well-dressed young men entered the establishment? Absolutely nothing. No one even looked at my gun (Ruger P95) except for one gentleman who did a quick double take in the bathroom. jeep said someone noticed his, but overall no one reacted. After reading so many stories of unremarkable OC experiences, I didn't expect mine to be any different.

This was definitely a good experience as I now would have no qualms about OCing in uptown Oxford in 2 weeks one night during the empty holster protest.
BIG SHAFE

Post by BIG SHAFE »

It was actually nice to see people OC'ing at the GRPC, I felt at home. I was shocked at how many raised their hands saying they were concealed. They are good, I couldn't spot too many.

I have to say though, Kentucky has much more lax gun laws and people are more experienced at seeing them.
feltoosj

Post by feltoosj »

BIG SHAFE wrote:It was actually nice to see people OC'ing at the GRPC, I felt at home. I was shocked at how many raised their hands saying they were concealed. They are good, I couldn't spot too many.
I too was impressed! I mean, I expected a lot to be CCWing, but you could look and look and just cannot tell.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

feltoosj wrote:
BIG SHAFE wrote:It was actually nice to see people OC'ing at the GRPC, I felt at home. I was shocked at how many raised their hands saying they were concealed. They are good, I couldn't spot too many.
I too was impressed! I mean, I expected a lot to be CCWing, but you could look and look and just cannot tell.
Our OFCC Picnics get better in this regard every year. And so do the SW Ohio Meet 'n' Eat get togethers. Kind of a fun little game for me to play 'Spot the CCWer', but at these shindigs it's been pretty tough, more so each time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
meansartin

Re: Open Carry after GRPC

Post by meansartin »

tried to get the girlfriend to pull over at the Inn when we were on 75 coming back from Kentucky.

She didn't listen :(
Now is when all the swords of man must strike as one...
BobK

Post by BobK »

meansartin wrote:tried to get the girlfriend to pull over at the Inn when we were on 75 coming back from Kentucky.

You are lucky that your car didn't get crushed by a huge beer can. :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

BobK wrote:
meansartin wrote:tried to get the girlfriend to pull over at the Inn when we were on 75 coming back from Kentucky.

You are lucky that your car didn't get crushed by a huge beer can. :mrgreen:
ROFLMAO!!!!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I have to say though, Kentucky has much more lax gun laws and people are more experienced at seeing them.
By "lax" I am sure you mean "reasonable", right? :wink:
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."