open carry in bad neighborhood

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldierE8

open carry in bad neighborhood

Post by soldierE8 »

I am am a phone guy by day and a National Guardsmen by weekend,
alot more weekends these days,anyway, If I was in a bad neighborhood
doing a job and I normaly CC while working, could I open carry
just as a deterrence? Or would this just make problems worse for me?
Zen

Post by Zen »

Well, bad guys usually are looking for an easy target, so it might help you there. However, you might draw more attention of a different kind.
Never submit, comply or follow the commands of an attacker...

OFCC & NRA Member
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

be ready for alot of stares from differ people. :shock: :lol:
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
Buckshot

Re: open carry in bad neighborhood

Post by Buckshot »

soldierE8 wrote:I am am a phone guy by day and a National Guardsmen by weekend,
alot more weekends these days,anyway, If I was in a bad neighborhood
doing a job and I normaly CC while working, could I open carry
just as a deterrence? Or would this just make problems worse for me?
SoldierE8,

Don't know which company you work for, but most of the phone companies are rather anti-gun.

When I worked for Sprint LTD (now Embarq) they had no firearms on company property or in company vehicles written right into the employee handbook.

Don't know how some of the companies shook down, old GTE and old Ameritec were both anti-gun.

Buckshot
soldierE8

Post by soldierE8 »

I work for a private phone and data vendor. I use my own vehicle for a work truck.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Admitting to authorities in the aftermath of a self-defense situation that you mostly carry concealed, but decided to open carry while in "the bad neighborhood", could be twisted around on you, as though you'd been looking for confrontation perhaps. Your words can be your worst enemy in such cases.

My way of doing things is to conceal the greatest majority of the time. There have been a few instances in 20+ years of toting that I deliberately allowed my firearm to be seen, when the situation had gone from Condition Yellow to Red. It's a judgement call.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dngreer

Post by dngreer »

Brian D. wrote:Admitting to authorities in the aftermath of a self-defense situation that you mostly carry concealed, but decided to open carry while in "the bad neighborhood", could be twisted around on you, as though you'd been looking for confrontation perhaps. Your words can be your worst enemy in such cases.
+1 Well said!
Protect and exercise our 2nd amendment rights before we have none to protect or exercise.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Tough call on what makes the most sense. Not everyone is intimidated by a handgun - as long as it's holstered. So in an "iffy" environment you may even become more of a target.

I guess I'd lean toward concealed just because I want the element of surprise on my side. Seems like awareness and the element of surprise make the most sense; to me anyway.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Nah, I'd OC in a bad neighborhood. Of course, I'd try to avoid a neighborhood if it was truly "bad," but if I had to be somewhere I didn't want to, no problem...

Ups:
1. You'll have easier access if you need to draw.
2. You'll appear more of a hard target.
3. You may be mistaken for a cop (at least undercover) and left alone.

Downs:
1. You may get the po-po called on you (but you're not breaking any laws).
2. You may make people feel uncomfortable (so?).

Never worry about how something's going to "look" in court if you think it gives you a legitimate advantage. The trick is making sure that you know, in advance, how you can explain it. Like so:
"I knew this was a bad neighborhood. I have lots of equipment that people would be interested in stealing. I exposed my firearm so that potential aggressors knew that I was prepared to defend myself. I hoped that would pre-emptively de-escalate any situations."
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Having worked in "bad" neighborhoods doing subcontract cable TV work, including the worst parts of Dayton and Flint, MI.

I think our best plan in those situations is to appear to be just what we are, service workers doing a service for the "bad" folks. That is pretty much how they see us in my experience, so that said I would carry CC in that situation to keep the stealth aspect working. I have had them light up a blunt with me working on their TV, that to me demonstrates the fact that they see us as nobody important.

Better the "bad" people who might decide to do you harm for fun vastly underrate your ability to do anything but submit to their strength in numbers.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
hardwarz

Post by hardwarz »

There are more downs.

You might be a target for someone who wants the gun.
They may see the gun and go get one of their own guns so as to get your gun from you.

I OC on my propery and in my rental properties. Why? I'm usually busy with my hands and it's easier access if I need it.

Hardwarz
When trying to prove self defense to an LEO, the statement "I had him in the crosshairs of my scope" should never come out of your mouth.
vadersi

Post by vadersi »

I tend to open carry around my neighbor hood,I am about 200 yrds away from a police station, fire station and high school. Have not had a problem yet. In the real bad areas I use to oc but with the youths today, they don't seem to care about much, so why give them the advantage of knowing you have a gun so they MAY attack faster. If you do oc be very aware of the people around you, and keep you r arm tight against your weapon
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Couple of times that I did OC around the neighborhood it was the "crack house" dudes that called the LEO to report a "man with a gun" walking the neighborhood.

Cops making the rounds knew who i was and advised that I keep it covered around them because they want to get me in trouble and shy the cops away from the house.

I did that and when I walked late one night I walked up to the sentry and told him to "close up shop before the Platoon gets there".

He went inside as I walked away and when I was down the sidewa;lk a ways the guys who rents the house was standing out front with them watching me walk away.

Keep it concealed until you need it. If they see it then they will make you the BG. Until the [deleted -- TR],then it is your ballgame.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS