OC'd today 9-17-07

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

OC'd today 9-17-07

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Ordered a pizza from a small local shop this afternoon. After reading on here about people who OC I decided that this was a good opportunity to stick my toe in the water so to speak. I am well known at this convenience/gas store so I strapped on the pt145 and drove over....no one gave me a second look to my knowledge except MAYBE a couple in their car in the parking lot. On the way home I passed an older gentleman getting out of his truck to check his mail .....he had a pistol strapped to his side it looked like.
dngreer

Post by dngreer »

Wow; a positive first OC experience, and a unicorn sighting all in the same afternoon. That's impressive! :wink: And I've found that's normally what happens: if people even notice (most don't) they go about their business, and if they do ask, they don't freak out and call the LEOs. Great report, and hopefully you'll OC again?
Protect and exercise our 2nd amendment rights before we have none to protect or exercise.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Cool story. Just curious what holster you use for that. I have a Bianchi Shadow 7 for OC with the PT145.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

fisher wrote:Cool story. Just curious what holster you use for that. I have a Bianchi Shadow 7 for OC with the PT145.
Just a cheap uncle mikes.....I got it when I got the gun as something to carry it in until my crossbreed comes in.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

dngreer wrote:Wow; a positive first OC experience, and a unicorn sighting all in the same afternoon. That's impressive! :wink: And I've found that's normally what happens: if people even notice (most don't) they go about their business, and if they do ask, they don't freak out and call the LEOs. Great report, and hopefully you'll OC again?
I am not sure about open carrying again...I am sure I will at some point but I keep thinking that had the owner of the sore I was in yesterday could easily have been pushed into posting a no gun sign simply by me putting it in his face. I'd hate to think that I was the reason my fellow CCW folks lost another place to the no gun signage.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

OHIOSTEVE wrote: ... could easily have been pushed into posting a no gun sign simply by me putting it in his face. I'd hate to think that I was the reason my fellow CCW folks lost another place to the no gun signage.
And thus OHIOSTEVE succinctly points out the concern that many here seem to have: that the in-your-face attitude of some open carry folks may cause some businesses to post that otherwise might not have.

I suppose it all comes down to using a certain amount of judgment as to when and where to open carry. It may be less wise in some circumstances than in others...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dngreer

Post by dngreer »

TunnelRat wrote:
OHIOSTEVE wrote: ... could easily have been pushed into posting a no gun sign simply by me putting it in his face. I'd hate to think that I was the reason my fellow CCW folks lost another place to the no gun signage.
And thus OHIOSTEVE succinctly points out the concern that many here seem to have: that the in-your-face attitude of some open carry folks may cause some businesses to post that otherwise might not have.

Hopefully the in-your-face mentality is the exception, not the rule when it comes to OCers

I suppose it all comes down to using a certain amount of judgment as to when and where to open carry. It may be less wise in some circumstances than in others...

I think most reasonable OCers could agree with that. But just remember, some OCers such as myself do not have the option to CC, so we have to either OC or not carry at all (I understand I could go get my CCW, and I plan on doing it soon, but it doesn't change the fact I can't CC right now.)
Protect and exercise our 2nd amendment rights before we have none to protect or exercise.
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

I'd hate tthink that I was the reason my fellow CCW folks lost another place to the no gun signage.o
We could easily take that another direction................I would hate to think my CC would help the anti's agenda by making my gun a sign of something bad.............Whereas the only way the public or media sees a gun is during the course of a violent action or in the hands of law enforcement...............So the public views would only associate guns with violence(self-defense) or guns with LE....................

The mindset of the public is what has to change the LEO's will follow, They is reality are only doing a job..............And by keeping your guns hidden from view only changes nothing..........If you are going to fight a soft war , Then you need to recruit those that have the power to change policies (Voters)............So...............I don't see any commericals or media attention that is promoting our cause....If we are to rely on Media reports from self-defense shooting portraying the CHL holder as the good guys ..........Well they are few and far......One of the best forms of advertising is word of mouth..................The more mouths the better.

So we need the 100,000 CHL holders to start open carrying and show we are a force to reckon with and others will follow..........Changing the mindset and educating the public will be the only way this soft war is won...................Start advertising your cause( make OC'ing a fashion statement) or dig in and wait for the hard war....
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I find myself in a precarious position with this discussion...in principal I agree with SPLAT...in practical application I find myself agreeing with TR.....I am someone who acts simply on principal on a lot of occasions.....but my actioins may hurt the overall cause in this instance......I can tell you guys this..I am ( was) a cock fighter, I hunt terriers to ground....setting back and trying to remain under the radar has caused terrier work to be banned in great britian,and cock fighting has went from being legal in every state and attended by presidents and visiting dignitaries to being illegal in all 50 states and a felony in some of them. Sometimes I think maybe a little proactiveness is necessary to gain ground or even keep what you have.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Most of the places that I DO OC now I have went slowly before openly OC'ing.

Meaning I have been to these places before OC'ing and when the wind blew my shirt open ( CC"ing) I made no atempt to close it letting the folks around me see the gun. When asked I said that I have a license to carry it and apoligized for them having to see it because of my clumbsiness.

Another time I was buying coffie at the Iranian store when the counter guy stated that he wished he had a gun there when a few undesirables came in.After they left I lifted my shirt and stated," Your wish is my command." He laughed and thanked me for staying there a few moments longer.

There have also been a couple of times that I have deliverately left my shirt off and got out to check a tire or something and the folks at the counter asked and I told them I carry 24/7 ( and of course I had my Deputy badge on my belt.

I agree with the saying that taking it slowly helps to develop a sense of security around OC'ers by the sheeple.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS