Amelia Kroger

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fisher

Amelia Kroger

Post by fisher »

I'll be the first in this new area:

I OCed in the Amelia Kroger last weekend with no problems. I had just finished a fine day of shooting with the family at Eatern Hills Rod and Gun. I decided to wear the XD40 Tactical with Serpa holster on the way back to the house (as I did on the way there). The sister in law called on the way home and gives us a list of groceries. I didn't see any reason to leave the weapon behind. It is too big to conceal with the t-shirt I was wearing, so I tucked it in and proceeded to shop. I was at the store for about 30 minutes, and as far as I know, nobody noticed except for a 10 year old girl. She asked her mom why I had a gun, she whispered something to her, and everbody kept shopping.

Funny thing is that the brother in law was visiting from Oklahoma, a NON OC state. His wife asked me before we went to the range if I was "brandishing". I advised her that she lives in one of the few places where OC is not legal. I wasn't planning on going anywhere but the range and back, but felt like putting my money where my mouth was, sort of.
2Fast4You

Post by 2Fast4You »

I've OC many a times and believe most people are too self absorbed to notice something on your hip. Kindof scary what you can get away with siometimes

Glad you had fun

Bill
We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless."
xd

Post by xd »

Isn't Krogers a D license store? (Sunday sales). If so I'm pretty sure it's a CPZ whether OC or CC. Maybe someone can clarify this again.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Class D and dispensing for consumption while in the place. During a wine tasting event may be a no-no for us to be in there while armed, otherwise not.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

xd wrote:Isn't Krogers a D license store? (Sunday sales). If so I'm pretty sure it's a CPZ whether OC or CC. Maybe someone can clarify this again.
You can drink in Krogers on Sunday? :shock:
Please, Sunday sales has nothing to do with our carrying unless they are serving!
xd

Post by xd »

Cruiser wrote:
xd wrote:Isn't Krogers a D license store? (Sunday sales). If so I'm pretty sure it's a CPZ whether OC or CC. Maybe someone can clarify this again.
Please, Sunday sales has nothing to do with our carrying unless they are serving!
Whether the "dispense" or not is not the issue. They have a D license and from what I've read on this board, (the question has been brought up before), It is a CPZ whether we like it or not. I brought the same question up regarding the Andersons that does have a CPZ sign posted. The also do not "despense" but they do have a Class D license allowing for Sunday sales. I am pretty sure Krogers is a CPZ by the way the current law is written.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

xd wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
Whether the "dispense" or not is not the issue. They have a D license and from what I've read on this board, (the question has been brought up before), It is a CPZ whether we like it or not. I brought the same question up regarding the Andersons that does have a CPZ sign posted. The also do not "despense" but they do have a Class D license allowing for Sunday sales. I am pretty sure Krogers is a CPZ by the way the current law is written.
Show me where it says that other than someones post under a topic here!
The Sunday sales of carryout alchole does not make it a CPZ.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

XD, there are SEVERAL kinds of "D" licenses, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Have a look at http://www.liquorcontrol.ohio.gov/liquor4.htm and see for yourself.

The intent of this part of the law was to keep us out of places with our licensed gun in which alcohol was being SERVED and CONSUMED. You can read and interpret the fine print more strictly if you choose, but we've hashed this out forever and the vast majority of us carry in those places that aren't serving the alcohol to be consumed on the spot.

********************************************************************************
xd

Post by xd »

Here's the link where it was brought up:
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... ns&start=0

If you can't get to it from there then use the search and type in Andersons. I think it was the second or third post "Wallmart, Krogers..."
Look at the third page and where I brought it up.
xd

Post by xd »

Brian D. wrote:XD, there are SEVERAL kinds of "D" licenses, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Have a look at http://www.liquorcontrol.ohio.gov/liquor4.htm and see for yourself.

The intent of this part of the law was to keep us out of places with our licensed gun in which alcohol was being SERVED and CONSUMED. You can read and interpret the fine print more strictly if you choose, but we've hashed this out forever and the vast majority of us carry in those places that aren't serving the alcohol to be consumed on the spot.
I agree wholeheartedly: The only problem is I really don't want to get hung out to dry on the "fine points". I think I would probably win however it would be very expensive.
CC is still very new in Ohio and some know the law and some don't. I've read a lot about it but I am not in a position to finanically, nor desire to be a test case, unless I win the lottery or something.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, I'd rather be tried than murdered, so my practice of 3+ years of licensed carry, and 20 or so previous years of "prudent man" carrying will continue in places where nobody is drinking the alcohol. Think I'm done with this topic, at least until we can corral the guv at the Picnic and noogie him into forcing the legislature to clarify this law once and for all.
Last edited by Brian D. on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

xd

Post by xd »

I'm more "polite" :) However I do like the "prudent" thing as well 8)
BIG SHAFE

Post by BIG SHAFE »

I agree technically it is a class D permit and you know how lawyers can "alter meanings", I recommend "concealed means concealed" if you are worried.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Brian D. wrote: Think I'm done with this topic, at least until we can corral the guv at the Picnic and noogie him into forcing the legislature to clarify this law once and for all.
I know of a great way to clarify his stance on the legality of open carry at the picnic :wink: See you there.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

My wife works at Krogers and as far as we know it is not a CPZ.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/