Local BMV office

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Local BMV office

Post by dustymedic »

Are all BMV offices CPZs? I noticed a medium size GB sign on both doors when I went to renew my driver's license today. This was at the Gahanna License Agency at 415 Agler Road In Gahanna.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Local BMV office

Post by Chuck »

It's only since March of this year that Deputy Registrars were permitted by law to allow patrons to carry guns.
Believe it or not, even if they allow guns, they still must post the sign,
Such is the wisdom of our elected officials

See ORC 2923.1212(A)(9)
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Someone in the BMV had that stipulation about posting no guns signs in the contract that deputy registrars sign back in about 2005 even though they aren't actually government offices.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:Someone in the BMV had that stipulation about posting no guns signs in the contract that deputy registrars sign back in about 2005 even though they aren't actually government offices.
This is the sort of stuff that makes me want to throw the key in the well bucket and move to Kentucky. Their gun laws aren't perfect but a lot better (because they are so much less complex and convoluted) than ours.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I understand the Alum Creek Drive & Hiltop complexes being posted, because OSHP has a presence in both buildings. Maybe BMV needs to improve their customer service, then they wouldn't need to worry about armed persons....
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

What frosts me is that the original CPZ signage was a demand by the central authority that the franchises MUST post, or else, but it was at the "misdemeanor" level. A bit down the road, it became a FELONY CPZ, probably due to the "State Offices" influence, but codified in the ORC.

Since I'm only in there once or twice a year, if not less often, I more or less ignored it. (Leave the gun in the car.)

Of late, though, there's been more "action" out there. Wouldn't care, except that the folks hanging about the curb have gotten a little more intimidating. I stay away even more :D.... A little while back, the panhandler who needed $2.35 to get his wife and kids off the turnpike was there. Found another registrar....

In other news ( :) ), one of the local hospital systems got bought out again. This time the very expensive CPZ signs are gone. They always complained of a lack of funds, but blew a pile on the old signs. Film at 11....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
farblue

Post by farblue »

Chuck wrote:It's only since March of this year that Deputy Registrars were permitted by law to allow patrons to carry guns.

See ORC 2923.1212(A)(9)
...but the presence of the sign still overrules the intent of the owner of the facility, right? Not that it makes a big difference in my life since I'm only in there every year or two.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

They were required to post . I believe the language was in their contract with the state, since they were in essence, acting on behalf of the state.
Problem is now, many are owned by out-of-state corporations, most who are anti's.
Very few local owned independent license agencies left.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

dustymedic wrote:I understand the Alum Creek Drive & Hiltop complexes being posted, because OSHP has a presence in both buildings. Maybe BMV needs to improve their customer service, then they wouldn't need to worry about armed persons....
No matter how bad customer service is, they still have no need to be concerned about legally armed persons. For all the others the signs wont mean anything anyhow!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:It's only since March of this year that Deputy Registrars were permitted by law to allow patrons to carry guns.

See ORC 2923.1212(A)(9)
Note, however, that there is no statutory penalty for not posting, nor can any civil liability be premised upon a failure to post.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
RichN

Post by RichN »

Brian D. wrote:This is the sort of stuff that makes me want to throw the key in the well bucket and move to Kentucky. Their gun laws aren't perfect but a lot better (because they are so much less complex and convoluted) than ours.
Other than that whole bar versus restaurant thing. We did get that one right.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

RichN wrote:
Brian D. wrote:This is the sort of stuff that makes me want to throw the key in the well bucket and move to Kentucky. Their gun laws aren't perfect but a lot better (because they are so much less complex and convoluted) than ours.
Partly because Ohio doesn't categorize restaurants as making 51% of income from food like Kentucky and some other states do.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:
RichN wrote:
Partly because Ohio doesn't categorize restaurants as making 51% of income from food like Kentucky and some other states do.
At times, I wonder if that wasn't actually a semi-clever move from the Kentucky legislature. How could a casual patron be expected to know those financial particulars? If a non-imbibing customer has to defend himself, and the place in question has a food menu of any kind, it's going to be tough to prosecute, assuming a "clean shoot".

Also, only carry of a "loaded" firearm is completely forbidden in a Kentucky "bar". Per definition of "loaded" elsewhere in the Kentucky Revised Statutes, someone could have an empty handgun on one side of their person, and charged magazines/speedloaders/moon clips on the other.

In any event, stand alone charges of CCW don't get levied against otherwise law abiding carriers much in Kentucky.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.