Cincinnati zoo

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Cincinnati zoo

Postby The German » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, the Cincinnati zoo is plastered with signs and when I asked for the reason why they changed their policies (apparently in 2013 or so), this was the response I got.

--------------------------------------

Good Afternoon Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I appreciate your asking of our no weapons policy. As a private business we are by law able prohibit weapons of any sort from entering our property. As a licensed conceal carry person myself I know your frustration but our company’s policy is as it is. This goes for our employees as well as our visitors.

I will say, that we used to not have signs posting our no weapons policy but a “licensed conceal carry” individual threatened one of our zoo staff by stating he had a gun and felt like using it after the zoo staff asked him to extinguish his cigarette. Just within the last year and a half we had an incident where a “licensed conceal carry” individual got into a verbal altercation with another guest and further put his hand on his concealed weapon causing a flurry of law enforcement response because the other person called 911.

I have no doubt you are a responsible conceal carry individual and I am glad you take that training to heart for the protection of your family and yourself.

We have had no issues with when a concealed weapon becomes unconcealed or noticed with asking the armed individual to remove the weapon from zoo property.

If you have further questions or concerns feel free to email me back or call my office number.

Have a wonderful day!

Wayne

WAYNE R. LOHMOELLER
Security, Safety and Emergency Response
3400 Vine Street
Cincinnati, OH 45220


Edit to remove phone and email address per ToS. Stryker74
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
info@primercatcher.com
www.primercatcher.com
User avatar
The German
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby djthomas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Truly unfortunate. I've come to learn that blunders by doo doo heads is why the Chick Fil A in Fairview Park is now posted too. The way I read the ending of that letter it sounds like there may be a silver lining. It would probably be against the ToS to point it out so I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader.

PS - also per the ToS you may want to remove the gentleman's contact information from your post.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby pirateguy191 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Harambe
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
User avatar
pirateguy191
 
Posts: 10647
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: 44146

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby Stryker74 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:08 pm

It is unfortunate when a specific incident (or multiple in this case) causes a location to post. It makes getting such signs removed that much more difficult at a location.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
USCCA Certified Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.techarms-training.com


Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
User avatar
Stryker74
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Grove City, Ohio

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby The German » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks - just saw that I left the details in when copies&pasted (thanks for removing it).

I agree with the interpretation, but if one carries into a posted place and, even if it is just because he/she did not see the post and there is an issue being made out of it for whatever reason, it simply reflects badly on all CHL owners.

djthomas wrote:Truly unfortunate. I've come to learn that blunders by doo doo heads is why the Chick Fil A in Fairview Park is now posted too. The way I read the ending of that letter it sounds like there may be a silver lining. It would probably be against the ToS to point it out so I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader.

PS - also per the ToS you may want to remove the gentleman's contact information from your post.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
info@primercatcher.com
www.primercatcher.com
User avatar
The German
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby marca » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm

The German wrote:From the letter:
Good Afternoon Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I appreciate your asking of our no weapons policy. As a private business we are by law able prohibit weapons of any sort from entering our property. As a licensed conceal carry person myself I know your frustration but our company’s policy is as it is. This goes for our employees as well as our visitors.


I think this has been hashed before, but how is the zoo, that is financed by tax levies, a private business?
marca
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:30 am
Location: Loveland, OH

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby 147Doc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 pm

djthomas wrote:Truly unfortunate. I've come to learn that blunders by doo doo heads is why the Chick Fil A in Fairview Park is now posted too. The way I read the ending of that letter it sounds like there may be a silver lining. It would probably be against the ToS to point it out so I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader.

PS - also per the ToS you may want to remove the gentleman's contact information from your post.


I see the way the letter is phrased... but the premises are clearly posted, so in my opinion it would be a big lift to try and convince anyone in the judiciary that you didn't see anything.

I personally carry until I park, lock up, see the animals and flowers, then rearm when I return to the car.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: NE Cincinnati Metro Area

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby JediSkipdogg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:17 pm

marca wrote:
The German wrote:From the letter:
Good Afternoon Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I appreciate your asking of our no weapons policy. As a private business we are by law able prohibit weapons of any sort from entering our property. As a licensed conceal carry person myself I know your frustration but our company’s policy is as it is. This goes for our employees as well as our visitors.


I think this has been hashed before, but how is the zoo, that is financed by tax levies, a private business?


Anyone can have a levy and ask for money. We could create the OFCC Hamilton County Tax fund if we wanted to. The problem is, nobody has done it in history because it would never pass.

Now, what many don't realize is the City of Cincinnati purchased the zoo in 1932. It is run by the Cincinnati Boards of Parks Commissioners which is a government entity under Cincinnati. So, they claim to be private property but they really aren't. However, they get away with it because nobody really challengers it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
User avatar
JediSkipdogg
 
Posts: 10080
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Batavia

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby Brian D. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 pm

They also claim to be part of the Cincinnati Public School system, when they want to use that to prohibit things and try to grab more funding.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14504
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby The German » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks, yes, it looks as if they are still owned by the city / Hamilton County

Pg. 12 ff.: http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/hc/hc ... 0CZ&BG.pdf

Question is if that is a correct interpretation and if it is worth to try to get it fixed? Technically, if it is a government owned property and not a building, they would not be able to restrict carrying, or?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
info@primercatcher.com
www.primercatcher.com
User avatar
The German
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: Cincinnati zoo

Postby Brian D. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:50 pm

The German wrote:Thanks, yes, it looks as if they are still owned by the city / Hamilton County

Pg. 12 ff.: http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/hc/hc ... 0CZ&BG.pdf

Question is if that is a correct interpretation and if it is worth to try to get it fixed? Technically, if it is a government owned property and not a building, they would not be able to restrict carrying, or?


I'd say you're correct. But this zoo (and many others) seem to make similar claims about what their legal classification is: Public, private, park, amusement park, auxiliary/satellite school. Whatever makes them off limits to carry. I honestly think they're worried about one of us lethally attacking one of their animals, and it overrides all logical thought at some level.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14504
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio


Return to Criminal Protection Zones (CPZs)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests