Campus Carry

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xracer

Campus Carry

Post by xracer »

If I'm not mistaken a college campus is a no carry zone. If I'm right on this I have a question. My daughter is going to Kent, am I ok in my vehicle while dropping her off or picking her up? Doesn't the rule say something about except while in the process of locking the firearm in a car? Don't want to get pulled over and arrested...
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Campus Carry

Post by JustaShooter »

Colleges and universities are different than schools in Ohio. You are prohibited from carrying on school (K-12) property even with a license unless you are in a motor vehicle and are in the process of dropping off or picking up a child. You are prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on college or university property even with a license unless the firearm is in a locked motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.
(B) ... A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:Colleges and universities are different than schools in Ohio. You are prohibited from carrying on school (K-12) property even with a license unless you are in a motor vehicle and are in the process of dropping off or picking up a child. You are prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on college or university property even with a license unless the firearm is in a locked motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.
Actually, at a state university like Kent, you can carry it openly on the campus property as long as you don't enter any buildings. However, when I say "can," that doesn't mean I would. All the open carry events at state universities have been preceded by notice to the campus police and university administration, and it's really not something that you want to attempt "out of the blue."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Werz wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Colleges and universities are different than schools in Ohio. You are prohibited from carrying on school (K-12) property even with a license unless you are in a motor vehicle and are in the process of dropping off or picking up a child. You are prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on college or university property even with a license unless the firearm is in a locked motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.
Actually, at a state university like Kent, you can carry it openly on the campus property as long as you don't enter any buildings. However, when I say "can," that doesn't mean I would. All the open carry events at state universities have been preceded by notice to the campus police and university administration, and it's really not something that you want to attempt "out of the blue."
Agreed, which is why I specified "You are prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on college or university property" - and as you mention, outside of a prearranged open carry event I don't know that I would do so.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
xracer

Post by xracer »

So I should assume that in my vehicle is considered concealed and not allowed even if I don't get out? I was a little thrown by the "unless the firearm is in a locked motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle." Kind of implies that you can have one on campus if it is locked in a vehicle and If I get out it would be in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle..?
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

xracer wrote:So I should assume that in my vehicle is considered concealed and not allowed even if I don't get out? I was a little thrown by the "unless the firearm is in a locked motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle." Kind of implies that you can have one on campus if it is locked in a vehicle and If I get out it would be in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle..?
Get out and lock your car. Law satisfied.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I carried at BGSU for a few years after graduating as an employee. I drove to work with it in my under-steering wheel holster, got to work, put it in my glove box and locked it. When leaving, I got in, locked my car doors, removed it from the glove box, and put it back into the under-steering wheel holster.

At all times, nobody can say it's not in a locked motor vehicle on campus.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

xracer wrote:Kind of implies that you can have one on campus if it is locked in a vehicle and If I get out it would be in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle..?
Exactly. Make sure vehicle is locked before entering campus property, and be sure to leave it in the vehicle and lock it if you get out, and done.
NRA Life Member