Invited into a CPZ

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mpickles

Invited into a CPZ

Post by mpickles »

I was standing just outside of a church in Proctorville this evening, speaking to a gentleman about where the Boy Scouts met, and he told me it was on the other side of the building. He invited me into the church but I stated that I would have to stop by my trunk first because I noticed the gunbuster sign on the door. He said, "No, you're fine, come on in. I'm head of security." I paused for a moment because I wasn't sure if it was a trap, that was when I noticed he was wearing that typical earbud over his ear and he repeated that it was okay for me to come in while I was carrying.

My question is, was this okay? I make it a point to stay on the right side of the law because it took so much for me to be able to exercise my rights I don't want to lose them, so I want to know how to handle this in the future. Thanks in advance.
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Invited into a CPZ

Post by Sevens »

Looks okay. Sounds okay. And you didn't post some horrendous end to the story to lead us to believe that it ended badly.

However...
No protection for you under the law. Or, at best, it's not possible to PROVE that you were invited unless you recorded the conversation.

As it was a "place of worship", it wasn't only the gun buster sign that made you not legal for carry, this is an enumerated off-limits zone for good folks who legally carry, this place is nearly perfect for bad people to wreak mayhem.

If you want to cover yourself, get it in writing. Next best? Audio or video recording.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

VERY gray area legally in my opinion. At least without giving you written permission. Even at that you're knowingly going past a sign that states NO.

Sevens stated the same thing more precisely right above me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I'ts my understanding most churches don't post or even address the issue, as they are already off limits,but "this" church has made a stand on the issue and has posted, so I'd stay the heck out unless the church "authority" that decided to post, gave you permission to carry.
I'd wager the "security guy" is not the authority.
And getting audio or written permission from someone who's not in the position to grant permission, is......well, in my opinion.......worthless.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
docachna

Post by docachna »

You are still violating the law. A property owner can't confer upon you the privilege of violating state criminal law.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

Brian D. wrote:VERY gray area legally in my opinion. At least without giving you written permission. Even at that you're knowingly going past a sign that states NO.
This was my concern. Will keep it in mind in the future.
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:You are still violating the law. A property owner can't confer upon you the privilege of violating state criminal law.
:?: I'm pretty sure they can when it comes to trespass since trespass is based on the offender *not* having permission, so if the property owner is the one that posted the property (denying permission to a group of people) they can give individual permission to whomever they desire. I can put up no hunting and no trespassing signs around my property and then give my friend permission to hunt my property. Same thing. In this case, the question is more about whether the head of security has the ability to give that permission - that's a different matter entirely.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

To be absolutely certain of staying on the right side of the law stay out of that church. This is one area where the law is full of traps for the unwary. Others have mentioned some of them and here's another. Is there a school associated with this church? Are you sure?

If you decide to enter that church I'd say your exposure to legal trouble is greater by telling the gentleman you were armed than by just keeping quiet about your armed status.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi
There was a funeral 2 years ago and I was asked to help out, there were 4 armed church security
people and a couple friends armed. A child had been killed and one spouse was supposedly getting out
of jail to come and no one knew if/what would happen. Relatives from both sides were there so there was a lot of tension.
Other than one small scuffle nothing happen.
There is armed security at all/most the church services and I had permission from the head of security.
I figured I was ok, no money involved. :)

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote:
docachna wrote:You are still violating the law. A property owner can't confer upon you the privilege of violating state criminal law.
:?: I'm pretty sure they can when it comes to trespass since trespass is based on the offender *not* having permission, so if the property owner is the one that posted the property (denying permission to a group of people) they can give individual permission to whomever they desire. I can put up no hunting and no trespassing signs around my property and then give my friend permission to hunt my property. Same thing. In this case, the question is more about whether the head of security has the ability to give that permission - that's a different matter entirely.
But your property is not a statutory CPZ. The church is. The legislature said so. I don't believe the statute has any exception for situations where a person in authority (and like you said, WHO even HAS the authority ??) give you a pass.

If I'm wrong, won't be the first time, but I've never seen any provision for it in the O.R.C.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
mreising

Post by mreising »

docachna wrote:
But your property is not a statutory CPZ. The church is. The legislature said so. I don't believe the statute has any exception for situations where a person in authority (and like you said, WHO even HAS the authority ??) give you a pass.

If I'm wrong, won't be the first time, but I've never seen any provision for it in the O.R.C.
Here it is: 2923.126 (B)(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

mreising beat me to it but yes, a church can permit carry if they desire - so can school boards, BTW.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

.[/quote] mreising beat me to it but yes, a church can permit carry if they desire - so can school boards, BTW.[/quote]

It certainly provides that; I didn't go to the mountain first. :?

It does NOT solve the problems of: 1) determining who has authority to grant permission, and 2) proving you have such permission.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:It does NOT solve the problems of: 1) determining who has authority to grant permission, and 2) proving you have such permission.
Exactly why I said "In this case, the question is more about whether the head of security has the ability to give that permission - that's a different matter entirely."
NRA Life Member

concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

If you were there for a BSA scout meeting, you were violating BSA "Guide to Safe Scouting" rules.
Churches also have to be careful in calling people who are armed "security", when in fact they have not gone thru the proper legal training.