What do YOU do when you see CPZ sign?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: What do YOU do when you see CPZ sign?

Post by sodbuster95 »

SeanC wrote:#1, unless it's a felony.
In the case that I'm at a location where I know carrying is a felony, I disarm. For me, this mostly means the local courthouses.

Otherwise, and without advocating that anyone do anything, I also routinely opt for #1.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

sodbuster95 wrote:
In the case that I'm at a location where I know carrying is a felony, I disarm. For me, this mostly means the local courthouses.

Otherwise, and without advocating that anyone do anything, I also routinely opt for #1.
I tell my students what the law is. I inform them the penalties for not following said law. I tell my students that they are now informed adults that are able to make their own decisions.
I really hate to admit it but more and more I'm opting for #1.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
someguy

Post by someguy »

Not sure what I will do if I ever see one.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I didn't see any suggestions here to send the offending dealer a copy of the purchase agreement at the other dealership so he knows he lost a sale and wasn't just dealing with a gun nut wanting to cause trouble..
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:I didn't see any suggestions here to send the offending dealer a copy of the purchase agreement at the other dealership so he knows he lost a sale and wasn't just dealing with a gun nut wanting to cause trouble..
That's true, a good option is to send a nice letter with copies of the receipts from a competitor showing how much they *didn't* make because of the sign.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

sodbuster95 wrote:
And then there are the situations where they think it's a felony, but it's not.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
mreising

Post by mreising »

schmieg wrote:I didn't see any suggestions here to send the offending dealer a copy of the purchase agreement at the other dealership so he knows he lost a sale and wasn't just dealing with a gun nut wanting to cause trouble..
Yes to this. I posted a story about my son buying a new Mustang, I think it was about 10 years ago, and he sent copies of the invoice to two dealers that were posted and which he did not buy the car from. One (Lebanon Ford) of them changed their policy and removed the signs as a result of the letter, the other one (Kings Ford) did not even respond.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

mreising wrote:
Yes to this. I posted a story about my son buying a new Mustang, I think it was about 10 years ago, and he sent copies of the invoice to two dealers that were posted and which he did not buy the car from. One (Lebanon Ford) of them changed their policy and removed the signs as a result of the letter, the other one (Kings Ford) did not even respond.
The Kings group seems quite adamant about their position. I ordered a part online for my MX5 that Mazda delivered to King's Mazda for some reason instead of the dealer I requested. I cancelled the order because I told them I wouldn't come in and pick it up and I told them why. They didn't care and essentially told me that they didn't need my business.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've done that with one car purchase. Last time I looked the posted dealership was still posted, but I don't get out that way much. Their response at the time only came after I followed up the invoice copy with a call to their general manager. I guess sales were good then, he didn't seem to care. But, he was the GM, not the owner.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

4 if possible, if there is no other option, then 2, maybe. Even if number 2, it doesn't mean there isn't someone (s) outside the place with a gun (guns) providing protection for me, or me waiting for someone else to exit, particularly if there is a large amount of money involved.

Although I would never suggest someone do number one, I could certainly understand someone feeling the need to do so, particularly if they had a particular reason to do it. Like for example before Ohio had licensed carry, someone might've had to carry due to documented serious threats. It wouldn't make sense to strictly obey the current law if there was a realistic chance it was going to get you killed in the process, because a killer isn't going to care about a no guns sign. As far as CCW in a CPZ to protect against possible everyday threats like muggings, etc, I don't know.
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

I don't even think about signs anymore. I pocket carry so don't worry about being " outed ". I don't carry anywhere that would be a felony but other than that, it's not even a thought.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I obey the Ohio Revised Code. :|

Therefore my options are #2 or #3.

As to #4 & #5, my time's better spent otherwise.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Tru-Heathen wrote:I obey the Ohio Revised Code. :|

Therefore my options are #2 or #3.

As to #4 & #5, my time's better spent otherwise.
Eh, I advise giving #4 and #5 a try if you never have. Sometimes it gets a sign taken down on the spot.

********************************************************************************
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

While I'm not against some forms of activism, I pick my battles.

I was successful recently in getting my city to remove a "No Weapons" sign at a local park/lake/campground west of town that the city owns. The sign predated ORC 9.68. Wasn't a hard process once the Mayor talked to the Law Director.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I meant that advise not just for you, by the way. I know more than a few CHL'ers who just blithely ignore the signs and carry wherever they feel like. And to make it worse, spend money at such places when friendlier options are available.