Why "security" isn't secure

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Why "security" isn't secure

Post by sodbuster95 »

So, SWMBO and I spent the recent holiday weekend in the city of Chicago. I know there's a lot of gruff around here for that particular city, but she likes it, so we visit every so often. Being able to have a firearm in the hotel room now is nice but, of course, our trips generally include wandering the downtown area and Navy Pier, so that doesn't really help much. Instead, I spent the trip with only my sharp-edged Gerber cutting tool.

Because of the holiday, the police and private security were out in massive force. In the tourist areas, it was virtually impossible to walk more than a block without passing a congregation (as in, 3 or more) of uniformed officers. Most of the private businesses also had uniformed security, as well. At Navy Pier in particular, the police presence was massive and - without exaggeration - I would estimate that there were at least 100 uniformed officers in addition to large numbers of private security.

In every one of these "tourist" venues, there were large signs of "prohibited" items. On the list were - you guessed it - sharp-edged cutting tools. However, notwithstanding the fact that I carried mine in full view clipped to the outside of my pocket (so as to avoid even the perception of a concealed weapon) not once did anyone bat an eye at it. And I know for a fact that it was seen by many uniformed officers. One officer even pulled me aside to let me know my cigar case was visible (the cigar case was right next to the knife.) BTW - the blade limit in Chicago is 2.5 inches; my Gerber is 3.75.

However, what really made me shake my head was the Sears Tower (or, Willis Tower as it's now called). To get in, one had to pass through security and empty all pockets. Of course, knives were prohibited and the sign said they would be confiscated. The wife had no interest in turning around, so I resigned myself to having my knife confiscated.

Except that didn't happen.

Instead, I piled my phone, business card holder, pocket change, cigars, lighter, and knife in the little tray, went through the metal detector, and retrieved all my items, including my "prohibited" knife that the security officers failed to notice because they were so busy talking to each other.

Just one small example, to be sure, but anyone that legitimately thinks that putting up signs and even using security will create some sort of "safe zone" inside of an impenetrable perimeter really needs to have their head examined.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Why "security" isn't secure

Post by TSiWRX »

sodbuster95 wrote:...but anyone that legitimately thinks that putting up signs and even using security will create some sort of "safe zone" inside of an impenetrable perimeter really needs to have their head examined.
So true.

Yet, so few elect to remove the veil from their eyes to recognize this truth.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Theatre, plain and simple theatre.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I took my high school band up Sears Tower, the guard confiscated a student's knife and gave it to a chaperone. He gave it to me and I sharpened it and gave it back to the student when we got back to school. I chewed him out for carrying a dull knife.

At a Cleveland Indians game two years ago, the lady caught my smaller Kershaw and measured it; it was a fraction too long but I looked innocent enough with my cane and my wife holding on to me so she let me go. A security guard saw the clip and chewed me out, I gave the attitude back to him. He was also on the other side of the fence and couldn't get to me.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I used to be that guy in the family who would pick up incoming relatives at the airport and ride them to their hotel, or kinfolk's house they were staying at. Planes never landed on time when I had that chore, this forced me to kill dozens of hours someplace in the terminal. Watching security NOT watch the x-ray screens was a favorite pastime.

Sears Tower, tee hee hee. When I visited, the lobby was undergoing a massive remodel. Everybody had to use the construction entrance through the basement. I could have snuck in a bazooka.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Because I have a visible disability I am often times just waved through security screenings even when I set them off. Not at airports but most other places including court houses.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I probably shouldn't say where this happened - I think the guys there can read :D....

When attempting to renew my CHL last time (last spring or the one before it), I was there with two buddies. One's in pretty good shape for 63, but I use a cane (just turned 70 last May), and the other guy tends to use a "scooter" in lieu of a wheelchair. At the Courthouse, you press a button and a Guard comes downstairs to see how he can help.

He asked if anybody had any sharp instruments or firearms. My 1911 was in the car, and we all denied anything. (I probably was carrying a pocket knife of serious consequence, but I tend to forget about it.) The guard let us in a downstairs entrance that was at our current level (no stairs), and that was that.... I probably could have carried the 1911, but I tend to be a LAC :D....

At the next stop, the following week, we were instructed to call ahead, and were told to park in a special area. NO security at all, except our word.... Admittedly the place was full of armed Deputies and such, but....

Theater....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם