Kettering softball park, Dayton

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Kettering softball park, Dayton

Post by qmti »

Was at my granddaughters ball game and noticed the ball park is posted "No Firearms". I assume this is owned by the city of Dayton which would mean taxpayer funded. Is the city reluctant in correcting the signage or is this correct?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Kettering softball park, Dayton

Post by JustaShooter »

If it is owned by the city, then it can't be posted - but I know some of the ball fields near me are actually owned by companies (Pepsi being one of them) and they can post.

So, first thing to do is find out who owns the field. If it is city-owned, it may be that they've never corrected the signage, and may never have been notified that the signage is not permitted.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
So, first thing to do is find out who owns the field. If it is city-owned, it may be that they've never corrected the signage, and may never have been notified that the signage is not permitted.
The latter possibility hints at a really stupid Law Director. Yeah, stupid and unfit to be an attorney.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
The latter possibility hints at a really stupid Law Director. Yeah, stupid and unfit to be an attorney.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or, in this case, incompetence) - until proven otherwise.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or, in this case, incompetence) - until proven otherwise.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly

And doesn't the city of Dayton, if I recall, have an "attitude" regarding such issues?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Just throwing out a question for some clarification: What about carrying in a city owned park or ball field if there is some type of scholastic sporting event taking place?
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

CroManGun wrote:Just throwing out a question for some clarification: What about carrying in a city owned park or ball field if there is some type of scholastic sporting event taking place?
Gray area, but most feel that as long as you are not "attending" the event you are OK. At least that is how I see it!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cruiser wrote:
CroManGun wrote:Just throwing out a question for some clarification: What about carrying in a city owned park or ball field if there is some type of scholastic sporting event taking place?
Gray area, but most feel that as long as you are not "attending" the event you are OK. At least that is how I see it!
If it is a K-12 school activity, I would avoid the area the activity is taking place, but wouldn't worry about being in a different part of the park or a different ball field in the same complex. Others may be more (or less) risk-averse.
NRA Life Member

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

The 1,000 foot rule would still apply.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The 1,000 foot rule would still apply.
Explain that please. :shock: And how it applies to a Park. Should be interesting.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Cruiser wrote:
Explain that please. :shock: And how it applies to a Park.
Logic. How close to the kids school activity at the park would still be legal while carrying ? :|
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I don't believe so. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(25) states:
(25)The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
For the purposes of the Federal Gun-Free School Zones act, the 1,000 feet appears to apply only to the above and not to "school activities" taking place outside of those locations.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
For the purposes of the Federal Gun-Free School Zones act, the 1,000 feet appears to apply only to the above and not to "school activities" taking place outside of those locations.
Should have known, logic and the law are not always compatible. I couldn't find anything pertaining to firearms at school activities off school premises. (a-s-s-u-m-e). :oops:
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
And then there is the part about the 1000 ft. law not applying to us that have our CHL. :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
mreising

Post by mreising »

Cruiser wrote: And then there is the part about the 1000 ft. law not applying to us that have our CHL. :)
Just to clarify: Ohio CHL and Ohio school. Out of state concealed carry license is not included in the protection from the law.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.