Have to go to the People's Republic of illinois

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Have to go to the People's Republic of illinois

Post by docachna »

OK, so I have to stay a night in IL, and go to meetings the next day. Then on eastward, and getting the h-e-double hockey sticks out of IL ASAP.

Been on Illinois State websites trying to figure out how to transport within IL law. I get conflicting viewpoints. It appears to me that as long as the weapon is in a locked container, with the ammo and magazines locked elsewhere, I'm probably good to go if the vehicle was searched. Of course, it will not be searched with my consent, so short of a catastrophic accident causing the car to be towed and inventoried, or somebody planting 10 keys of coke in my car again (JK !!!), it likely will never become an issue.

However, I'm eager to hear the recommendations of the brain trust.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
ArmedAviator

Re: Have to go to the People's Republic of illinois

Post by ArmedAviator »

I thought that the Ohio CHL was accepted there and you can transport concealed and loaded provided you do not take it out of the vehicle (obviously semi-pointless).
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

An Ohio resident can carry in their vehicle on an Ohio CHL. If you exit the vehicle, the handgun must either remain locked up in the vehicle or be unloaded and put in a case to take it out of the vehicle (say, to take it into your hotel room).

See 430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Oh, and you probably ought to read up on their carry laws - they are *very* different in some respects than Ohio's. http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a great resource.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ruger

Post by ruger »

I'll be riding a motorcycle across Illinois towards South Dakota at the end of June, and other than possible gas / restroom stops, will not be staying overnight in IL

Can the firearm be loaded (but locked one of the built in saddlebags), or do I need to unload it and store the mags/ammo in a difference locked compartment ?

If I could find a convenient way to avoid going thru IL I'd take it, but we don't have enough time to take the Lake Michigan ferry from MI to WI this time.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I have no idea how a motorcycle affects traveling with a handgun in Illinois, sorry.
NRA Life Member

docachna

Post by docachna »

So from what I can decipher from everything I've now read, I am OK (licensed in TN) to carry loaded in my vehicle; have to store it in the trunk otherwise (I presume unloaded; that's what I'll do). Still not quite sure if I can put it in a case unloaded, carry it into a hotel room, and re-load for the night; reverse procedure to leave.

It also appears my wife, who may be driving the vehicle while I'm busy, is OK storing it unloaded in the trunk, weapon and ammo separated, weapon in locked container, while she drives around. That's what's mainly concerning me, as I really have nowhere to stow it while I'm busy, other than the trunk.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

docachna wrote:So from what I can decipher from everything I've now read, I am OK (licensed in TN) to carry loaded in my vehicle; have to store it in the trunk otherwise (I presume unloaded; that's what I'll do). Still not quite sure if I can put it in a case unloaded, carry it into a hotel room, and re-load for the night; reverse procedure to leave.
Yes. And a case under Illinois law can be as simple as a zippered pouch, fanny pack, etc. My wife has used her purse with a zippered compartment. You can have the unloaded gun, loaded magazine and a loose round flopping around inside this case. As non-residents who are allowed to possess firearms in your home state neither you nor your wife need a FOID to take advantage of the unloaded container carry law.
docachna

Post by docachna »

djthomas wrote:
docachna wrote:So from what I can decipher from everything I've now read, I am OK (licensed in TN) to carry loaded in my vehicle; have to store it in the trunk otherwise (I presume unloaded; that's what I'll do). Still not quite sure if I can put it in a case unloaded, carry it into a hotel room, and re-load for the night; reverse procedure to leave.
Yes. And a case under Illinois law can be as simple as a zippered pouch, fanny pack, etc. My wife has used her purse with a zippered compartment. You can have the unloaded gun, loaded magazine and a loose round flopping around inside this case. As non-residents who are allowed to possess firearms in your home state neither you nor your wife need a FOID to take advantage of the unloaded container carry law.
Perfect (well, as close to perfect as we're gonna get...........). Appreciate the help.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE