HB48 Question - Securing Firearm in Personal Vehicle at Work

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Coolhead2001

HB48 Question - Securing Firearm in Personal Vehicle at Work

Post by Coolhead2001 »

Good Afternoon,

As many of us are aware, the House is expected to vote on HB48 later today. I, for one, am rather excited. However, what I’ve heard in regards to the content of the bill and what I’ve seen (in a few particular matters) seem like two different things. What I’m most curious about is whether, if passed, HB48 would prohibit employers from using at-will termination against an employee should that employee secure a firearm in his/her personal vehicle. Again, I’ve been “hearing” that this is the case, but looking over the bill, I don’t see the verbiage.

Any thoughts, insights, or clarifications?

Best Regards.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB48 Question - Securing Firearm in Personal Vehicle at

Post by JustaShooter »

I think you are confusing HB 48 with SB 180. SB 180 includes the parking lot storage provision (which won't really do anything useful in my opinion, since Ohio is an at-will state). HB 48 removes certain statutory no-carry zones, but does not include the parking lot language. In my opinion, HB 48 is the more important bill to get behind.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Typically, in an employment at-will state, if management is skilled and willful, and if they want to terminate one's employment (forgoing a labor agreement, membership in one or more of the recognized protected classes, or if one has "juice") then they will terminate said employment.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Coolhead2001 wrote:As many of us are aware, the House is expected to vote on HB48 later today.
Where did you hear this?
Coolhead2001

Post by Coolhead2001 »

That makes sense. Sounds like I had a case of mistaken information.

I heard about it being voted on from a coworker and fellow CCW member, and, although while I'd taken her word for it, I'm now wondering if my information is bad. Knowing her, it wouldn't be surprising. And yet, I suppose I got a little too excited. Looking at the status of HB48 (which I agree, this would be a big step) at https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... A131-HB-48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I don't see any indication of it being voted on today.

Sorry for the bad information... particularly since this is my first post.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Senate Civil Justice committee IS hearing proponent testimony today on SB 180 and SB 199

So, if you are in the Columbus area and have some time this afternoon, stop in and voice your support for these bills in front of the committee !!
MyWifeSaidYes