Akrons Lock 3 Park

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xracer

Akrons Lock 3 Park

Post by xracer »

I keep seeing posts about this or that park being posted illegally, this gives me the impression that parks are not legally supposed to be CPZ's. Does anyone know whats up with lock 3 park in downtown Akron? It is clearly posted no firearms. I tried to do a search and found much on locks and a few on 3s.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Akrons Lock 3 Park

Post by Stryker74 »

Government owned property cannot be posted unless state law allows for it. So, a park (land) and any shelter or restroom facilities cannot be posted - but a community rec center can since it is a government owned building.
ORC 2923.126 - Section (B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;
According to the website, they request that you do not bring weapons - but they are not listed as prohibited.

http://www.lock3live.com/parkinfo.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a search with the auditor shows that 200 S Main St in Akron is owned by the city of Akron and is exempt as owned by a municipality. They should not be allowed to post it in the spirit of 9.68 - but there is no teeth in it to make them stop (short of a legal battle).

I would suggest getting in touch with the city parks and rec department if the park is indeed posted as no firearms allowed.

Bureau of Recreation
220 S. Balch Street, Akron, OH 44302
330-375-2850 - Phone
330-375-2818 - Fax
Recreation@AkronOhio.gov
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

xracer wrote:...Does anyone know whats up with lock 3 park in downtown Akron? It is clearly posted no firearms...
Can you take a picture of any 'no guns' sign posted at the park and post it in the 9.68 Compliance forum here?
MyWifeSaidYes
hairtrigger

Post by hairtrigger »

It is definitely posted with multiple signs at each entrance.
xracer

Post by xracer »

I will take photos and post them the next time I'm downtown. Have to learn what you mean by post a photo, can't figure out how to do that since I don't have any photo sharing acounts...
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.