"affordable housing" apartments-Mayfield Manor, Canton

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

"affordable housing" apartments-Mayfield Manor, Canton

Post by catfish86 »

My mother lives in the Mayfield Manor which is a 4 story apartment complex essentially behind the Canton Centre Walmart. This is the website of the national organization running the complex:

http://www.ehdoc.org/ohio/mayfield-manor-i/

It is apparently a union/senior citizen group conglomerate that does a lot of Section 8 and other housing programs but is not directly that I can tell part of HUD.

When she originally moved in there was a CPZ sign on the door. Then for a long time the sign was taken down but yesterday I noticed it was up again.

I know there has been some lawsuits won for housing project residents about gun bans in public housing. Anybody have any more information about this situation?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: "affordable housing" apartments-Mayfield Manor, Canton

Post by cashman966 »

A landlord can post their property just like any other person in control of private property, they just cannot ban licensed handgun carry by a renter or their guests, while the renter is present.
2923.126(C)(3)(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Does a tenant have to have a CHL for their guests CHL's to be recognized?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Post by BobK »

pirateguy191 wrote:Does a tenant have to have a CHL for their guests CHL's to be recognized?
I'd say, yes.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

BobK wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Does a tenant have to have a CHL for their guests CHL's to be recognized?
I'd say, yes.
That's the way I read it also. That kinda sucks.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

2923.126(C)(3)(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Yeah, cashman966 already quoted that 5 posts up. We're well aware of the statute language.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Is it public or private housing and are there any schools that would fall within 1000 feet of it?

If it's public and within 1000 feet of a school then she would need to make sure she has her CHL and so would anyone else visiting her (that has a firearm on them) or the GFSZA could come into play.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

BobK wrote:Yeah, cashman966 already quoted that 5 posts up. We're well aware of the statute language.
By godfrey, he sure did.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

No requirement that a guest have a CHL, only the tenant.
MyWifeSaidYes
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

It is not near a school. Not sure if the housing court rulings (I think it was San Francisco) were based on local law or federal. The Ohio law was not something I was thinking of.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

If it is section 8 etc. then it seems to me it would fall under federal law since the federal govt is subsidizing it.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson